Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By herzog
  • 4 Post By cigness

Thread: Recommend me a machine (10-30 coffee's a day)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Recommend me a machine (10-30 coffee's a day)

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

    My wife's hair salon has been using a Breville Dual boiler for close to two years now and its on its last legs! This machine has really served us well for the amount of coffee it has poured. Rather than wait and have it repaired and potentially have other issues arise, I think its time to step it up and buy a better machine.

    We need something simple and manual - The apprentices are far from Barista's so a connoisseur machine isn't what we are looking for. Any recommendations for a single group machine? It needs to be on the smaller side, last a while and can be easily serviced locally....budget is $2,000.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    32
    Is that for a machine and grinder? I ask because if you step up from that machine you would need a grinder to match the ability of the machine. I have recently purchased a Faema E98 Compact S1 which is a great single group machine, they are advertised for around the $1000 - $1200 range on Gumtree or the La Cimbali Junior M21 which is basically the same machine. You can grab a second hand grinder from Gumtree as well as long as you are comfortable with machine and grinder inspection, this model of machine does require manual boiler fill but it has a button on the front that you press to do it and a sight glass to monitor it.

    You could also loot at a Rocket Giotto or similar, there are a lot of E61 machines out there second hand for your budget and under, again depending on if you need a grinder.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,725
    Quote Originally Posted by cigness View Post
    Hi guys,

    My wife's hair salon has been using a Breville Dual boiler for close to two years now and its on its last legs! This machine has really served us well for the amount of coffee it has poured. Rather than wait and have it repaired and potentially have other issues arise, I think its time to step it up and buy a better machine.

    We need something simple and manual - The apprentices are far from Barista's so a connoisseur machine isn't what we are looking for. Any recommendations for a single group machine? It needs to be on the smaller side, last a while and can be easily serviced locally....budget is $2,000.


    Thanks
    If the machine has done what you wanted why not replace it with a similar Breville?
    magnafunk and Jackster like this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyj73350 View Post
    Is that for a machine and grinder? I ask because if you step up from that machine you would need a grinder to match the ability of the machine. I have recently purchased a Faema E98 Compact S1 which is a great single group machine, they are advertised for around the $1000 - $1200 range on Gumtree or the La Cimbali Junior M21 which is basically the same machine. You can grab a second hand grinder from Gumtree as well as long as you are comfortable with machine and grinder inspection, this model of machine does require manual boiler fill but it has a button on the front that you press to do it and a sight glass to monitor it.

    You could also loot at a Rocket Giotto or similar, there are a lot of E61 machines out there second hand for your budget and under, again depending on if you need a grinder.
    I was hoping to use the breville smart grinder, however, I dont think that will cut it when using a better machine

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    If the machine has done what you wanted why not replace it with a similar Breville?
    The business has grown significantly since we bought the Breville. Whilst it has been a great machine, I wish to future proof it and am not a fan of how long it takes to get Breville parts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,725
    Bezzera have an excellent reputation, parts readily available, the BZ10 with its compact size may well fit the bill, its certainly around your price bracket.
    https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/.../bezzera-bz10/

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    32
    The Bezzera certainly is a nice looking machine!

    The other thing is the Breville isn't actually designed for that level of use. It isn't built heavily enough and Cigness has probably done very well to get that use out of it that they've gotten. The Smart grinder might be okay, I have one and thought it needed new burrs and then found out it has an adjuster ring on the top burr to assist with finer grinding..... So, luckily I think I will keep now for use at work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    541
    E61 would be the go. Reliable, and excellent for parts and heaps of places can service them.

    Also as itís business equipment your wife can depreciate it for tax purposes which may make it cost effective to spend a bit more on a quality machine. She can discuss with her accountant if not already across this aspect.
    mattyj73350 likes this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Bezzera have an excellent reputation, parts readily available, the BZ10 with its compact size may well fit the bill, its certainly around your price bracket.
    https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/.../bezzera-bz10/
    This machine caught my eye earlier today, if I don't see anything else that fits the bill then this might just be the machine we get.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    E61 would be the go. Reliable, and excellent for parts and heaps of places can service them.

    Also as it’s business equipment your wife can depreciate it for tax purposes which may make it cost effective to spend a bit more on a quality machine. She can discuss with her accountant if not already across this aspect.
    Any recommendations for a specific E61?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by cigness View Post
    Any recommendations for a specific E61?
    See what you can buy and have serviced locally....and what appeals to your eye and fits in the bench space allowed. The major brands are all solid. If you buy one of them, the grinder and beans will make more difference in terms of quality.
    Dimal likes this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    32
    The other thing to consider is if you go for a rotary pump machine that can be plumbed, this will eliminate the need to have to keep filling the water tank. Plumbing is something to consider if it's practical or not and may not be something you want to do. There are heaps of new and second hand machines around with the E61 head, they are easy to strip and rebuild too if you're a little handy.

  13. #13
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,289
    Whatever machine you're considering, look into water filtration as well to protect your investment
    Dimal likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Whatever machine you're considering, look into water filtration as well to protect your investment

    Yeah that's an excellent point and another argument for getting it plumbed in, so the filtration is automatically taken care of.

    Might even be worth getting a dealer to supply the machine, install it with filtration, and train the staff how to use it (and clean it at the end of the day). A good investment to do it once and do it right!
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I went ahead and bought the bz10 - it should arrive next week whilst My wife and I are away on holiday. I hope the team are capable of setting it up!!! We are lucky enough to have a cafe right next door who supplies us with fresh beans and help us dial in the grind.

    I will also look into filtration and proper cleaning methods so we can continue pouring for years to come.
    Brewster, Dimal, Yelta and 1 others like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,725
    Quote Originally Posted by cigness View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I went ahead and bought the bz10 - it should arrive next week whilst My wife and I are away on holiday. I hope the team are capable of setting it up!!! We are lucky enough to have a cafe right next door who supplies us with fresh beans and help us dial in the grind.

    I will also look into filtration and proper cleaning methods so we can continue pouring for years to come.
    Well done Cigness.

    Please keep us informed as to how the machine performs and how user friendly your staff find it to use.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •