• 2 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By BobSac
  • 2 Post By BobSac
  • 1 Post By BobSac

Thread: Expobar Office Leva

Expobar Office Leva

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey,

I maxed out the capabilities of my Silvia and have landed on an Office Leva.
    I like the machine but there are a few issues, as follows;

It's too hot, I flush for about 5 seconds immediately before an extraction and I'm sure it's still too hot because I'm using the same grinder and bean from my Silvia setup and if I forgot to temp surf I got the exact same burnt taste I'm getting consistently now.

Also, the machine is about 12bar (which I think is possibly 2-3 bar too much). Apparently it should have adjustment but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    I think this is also contributing to a less than favourable taste.

Also all the reviews said one hole steam wand, but mine is three, it's a little messy and low on pressure imo and I think it's because it should be a single or double hole tip.

So, the new machine is unfortunately making espresso that isn't as nice as the Silvia which is a shame as it cost 2.5x Miss Silvia and is much heavier and less compact, but I'm sure these issues can be solved.
    I'm sure I should be able to source a reasonably priced steam wand tip also.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Did you buy it new? If so, take up your concerns with the retailer, they should offer to help out I would hope.

Cheaper HX E61 machines will usually overheat, a 5 second cooling flush may not be long enough. Flush until the water is a smooth stream with no spitting or audible steaming.
    There are ways to better control group temperature involving restrictors in the HX thermosiphon or sometimes a small boiler pressure adjustment can make an improvement.
    gordons and BobSac like this.

Yep new, almost all of my stuff is new and from CS sponsors.

Here's a video, not that it will help.

https://youtu.be/we5lae33gIc

I'll flush for longer and start searching restrictors now, thanks!

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSac View Post
    Yep new, almost all of my stuff is new and from CS sponsors.

Here's a video, not that it will help.

https://youtu.be/we5lae33gIc

I'll flush for longer and start searching restrictors now, thanks!
    So....have you asked your retailer for help or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    So....have you asked your retailer for help or not?
    No, I'll give them a call on Monday.
    Sorry, I thought I might get some opinions/ideas to play with over the weekend.

Put a couple of toothpicks in the steam wand holes to experiment with different configurations
    gordons and BobSac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Put a couple of toothpicks in the steam wand holes to experiment with different configurations
    Great idea, thanks man

If anyone is interested, someone sent me a couple of videos showing how to adjust temp and brew pressure.

https://youtu.be/WVKg4z3yhkI

https://youtu.be/kEl-uNOC1P4

Only issue is I don't have the brew pressure adjustment like the machine in the video.
    Last edited by BobSac; 4th May 2019 at 10:14 AM.
    gordons likes this.

Turns out my machine had a few issues new.
    The brew pressure adjuster wasn't sitting where it was supposed to, so I couldn't see it when I looked for it.

Took the case off to massage it into position and have adjusted it to 10 bar from 12.
    That seems to be the sweet spot for my particular bean and taste.

I've switched to a two hole steam tip and I'm preferring this. The OE is good for large quantities of milk, but I never make more than 150-200ml, so the 2 hole (I also think they are smaller holes) works best.

This is now my work setup whilst I figure out soemthing simpler for home. It sits in a very cold factory...

Dimal and gordons like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSac View Post
    No, I'll give them a call on Monday.
    Sorry, I thought I might get some opinions/ideas to play with over the weekend.
    Hi BobSac,

Did you contact the retailer? If so what was the response?

I am currently having issues with my Minore IV - 8 months old - it is currently back with the importers.

regards,
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by gordons View Post
    Hi BobSac,

Did you contact the retailer? If so what was the response?

I am currently having issues with my Minore IV - 8 months old - it is currently back with the importers.

regards,
    Gordon
    Hey Gordon,

I didn't, I had a customer who, by luck, is a barista that works for a roaster -he left me some samples

Anyway, he was gracious enough to spend a.good 30 minutes with the machine and we took the outer cover off to locate the dial that adjusts brew pressure, it just needed to be moved (bent) to meet the hole where it was supposed to sit.

I have my grinder in at the DiSave now, they apparently are the importers and we briefly spoke about the Expobar. It's a great machine so far, it just requires a bit of QC that wasn't done.

The whole machine is a little rough around the edges, but imo it's worth the huge saving over premium machines that are simple cosmetically more refined.

I'll hold my final thoughts until I've owned it for at least a year though.
    Last edited by BobSac; 18th May 2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Dimal likes this.