Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By CafeLotta
  • 2 Post By CafeLotta

Thread: Bezzera, new pump.

Bezzera, new pump.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Must have known something when I bought an Ulka EX5 pump from Jackster a couple of months ago.

My preinfusion time has been getting longer over the past few weeks, usually 7 seconds it had gradually extended to about 12, did a flow test this AM, only getting approx 200 ml per min from the group head.

The quality of my shots was declining as well.

Installed the new pump this afternoon, what a difference, Flow rate just under 500ml a minute, preinfusion back to the normal 7 seconds, the difference in shot quality is remarkable, literally chalk and cheese.

The pump must have been on the way out for a while, happened gradually so not immediately noticeable.

Surprisingly the pump I replaced (also an EX5) was only 4.5 years old, would have expected more than that from it.

As they say, all's well that ends well.
    Dimal, matth3wh, CafeLotta and 2 others like this.

Excellent result there yelta.

My pumps problem was the one-way ball valve in the pump nose, but cleaning it didn't fix it for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Excellent result there yelta.

My pumps problem was the one-way ball valve in the pump nose, but cleaning it didn't fix it for long.
    Thanks Jackster.

Do you have any pumps left? may have to buy another spare.

Just started on last box. So plenty left still. Can't post till Monday as work commitments.

Did you happen to check before and after group pressure?

Pressure must have been down to affect the shots?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Did you happen to check before and after group pressure?

Pressure must have been down to affect the shots?

Cheers
    No I didn't, don't have a pressure gauge, the outcome confirmed the pump was at fault.

If you're ever looking for a good quality Pressure Gauge for OPV adjustment or troubleshooting, I can recommend one from Edesia Espress which cost around $45 landed from the UK.

They're Certified and more solidly built than the plastic bodied ones. If you search "Edesia Espress Portafilter Pressure Gauge" you'll find them.

Esedia Espress 1.jpg

Esedia Espress 2.jpg
    Dimal, matth3wh and Yelta like this.

Im making a second one from a $5 eBay 1/4" gauge. I have the offcuts from making a sunbeam naked portafilter. Going to trim the offcut smaller, and fit (gasket, glue or solder?) through a spare blind I have. 1/4 f-f socket and then the gauge.
    I have a normal portafilter gauge, but a basket one would be handy too

One of the reasons I liked the Edesia Espress gauge was that it was spec'd for the job at hand. The comments below are from their description of the Gauge. It can safely handle even overheated water.

"You can take comfort in the knowledge that the Edesia Espress EE1034 Portafilter pressure gauge has been specifically designed to measure boiling water under pressure and is fully compliant to current EU legislation.

Unless specified all bourdon tube pressure gauges are designed to measure air or water pressure up to 60C. Putting 100C water at 10 bar through a pressure gauge rated at only 60C may result in the rupture of the bourdon tube therefore spraying boiling water under pressure all over the operator."
    Dimal and Javaphile like this.

Absolutely a much better gauge, no argument there.
    To get around the 60 rating, I just fill the portafilter with filtered tap water before fitting it to the machine. But I think even a cold portafilter would reduce the temp seen by the gauge to less than 60. Its too hot if you can't hang on to it