Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By rival81

Thread: Dramatically increased steam pressure by removing 'cool touch' plastic tube in wand

Dramatically increased steam pressure by removing 'cool touch' plastic tube in wand

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I have an Isomac Tea, around 8 years old now. It's always struggled with steam pressure. I have been running a retro fitted two hole tip, which has helped.

This morning i decided to unscrew the steam wand and remove the crappy plastic inner tube which is how they make the steam wands 'cool touch'. As others have said, the cool touch is a bit of a marketing gimmick... once one manufacturer started to add it to the list of 'features', others followed.

I can definitely confirm that removing it has dramatically boosted my steam pressure, i reckon it's probably doubled! I wasn't expecting such a massive increase, and now i'm wishing i'd removed this cool touch tube earlier.

Just wanted to let you all know. It's super easy to remove from the wand, you just unscrew the steam wand, take off the steam tip, and pull out the plastic inner tube, then screw the steam wand back on.
    Dimal, Yelta, CafeLotta and 1 others like this.

Did the same to my bfc, the steam seemed drier too. I did keep the Teflon tube in case of resale but between 3 interstate moves, I have lost that along the way

Yeh the steam is definitely drier. Makes sense since you're pushing steam through a hot metal wand as opposed to a warm piece of plastic which can't heat up and has less thermal mass.