• 2 Post By Hoggy42
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 4 Post By Hoggy42
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By walrusPho

Thread: Isomac Tea II recently aquired for project. A couple of questions

Isomac Tea II recently aquired for project. A couple of questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys as some know I recently posted a thread chasing a project machine. Another CS'er near by offered me a machine this Isomac unit the work required doesn't look too much and a great starter project I think but I do have a few questions.
    IMG_20190607_213041.jpg
    Other then the covers being off it look's pretty good and I think it will all polish up nicely and look rather impressive sitting in the kitchen.

On to the main problem it leaks from what looks to be the element might get away with just a gasket. It looks to have had a recent electrical box fitted (Built 2017) and the pressurestat also looks to have been replaced however when the machine is on the boiler pressure gauge is reading over 1.5bar I believe this should be at 1.2bar so I'm guessing adjusting the pressurestat down should solve that issue?

My other concern is that someone has bypassed the water tank switch I can't understand why I would love to have this working properly, Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Australian model? or some good photos of the inside of a stock machine? I can only find a wiring diagram that is a little different not just in the design but also the wire colours don't match the way I believe the AU model is setup.

There is also a small amount of corrosion around a join at the other end of the boiler (3rd Photo below) doesn't seem to be leaking not sure if I should pull it out and clean it up or just clean it in place and keep an eye on It once up and running.

IMG_20190607_213116.jpgIMG_20190607_213243.jpgIMG_20190607_213209.jpgIMG_20190607_220955.jpg

Thanks in advance I'm not sure if I'm going post up every step I might attempt a vlog and YouTube it. Just gathering information before the next step.

If you are going to do that element seal, you will probably need to remove boiler to be able to grab it and hang onto it. I dug as much of the seal I could get out to make it a bit looser.
    If boiler is out, then do the fittings at other end at same time..

Before embarking on removing boiler, you need to see how well it works. Maybe a descale and clean up the group head and see if the leaks are your only issue.
    Hoggy42 and kelvin8r like this.

Site Sponsor
    hi;

"On to the main problem it leaks from what looks to be the element might get away with just a gasket. It looks to have had a recent electrical box fitted (Built 2017) and the pressurestat also looks to have been replaced however when the machine is on the boiler pressure gauge is reading over 1.5bar I believe this should be at 1.2bar so I'm guessing adjusting the pressurestat down should solve that issue?"

before you adjust the presure swicth consider that you gauge is not finnish in cero, which meas 1.5 = 1.2

If you replace the heating element seal, replace it for the one of the Rocket Giotto are much better than the Original Isomac

Regards
    Renzo
    Dimal and Hoggy42 like this.

Thanks Di_Bartoli

Top advice on the gasket. Please forgive my ignorance what does Finnish in cero mean? I understand you saying the pressure on the gauge may not be correct.

Site Sponsor
    yes, looking at you picture that gauge is not calibrated. If you need the elememt seal let me know we have it as spare part.

If you need to tal abpot it just pm me or call me

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Di_Bartoli View Post
    yes, looking at you picture that gauge is not calibrated. If you need the elememt seal let me know we have it as spare part.

If you need to tal abpot it just pm me or call me

Regards
    You are correct with the gauge positions I'm not sure why they are that way... I'm hoping it's possible to reset them as at 70-80 each I'd rather save them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster
    Before embarking on removing boiler, you need to see how well it works. Maybe a descale and clean up the group head and see if the leaks are your only issue.
    This is a great idea unfortunately the leak is quite bad so I may just work on one area at a time. I know it's going to need a group head seal and shower screen they both look a bit yuck. The good news is I have a good working machine so I'm happy to take my time sorting this one out. Unlike my Expobar which was simply repaired ignoring a few things that I would really like to fix rust etc.

It lives I finally got all of the parts together spent the last couple of days stripping the boiler descaling it and getting it working again pressure stat adjusted to 1.2bar brew to 10bar confirmed on the machine gauge and portafilter. I gave the machine some new gauges and lights just to brighten it up. Looks like it will need a couple of new seals in the group but no big deal.
    IMG_20190725_213103.jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190725223455305_COVER.jpg

Oh yeah the reason for the original leak at the element someone had fitted an orange O-ring in place of the gasket.
    IMG_20190725_223947.jpg
    topshot and IrisGanache like this.

Nice work! Did you get all the leaks sorted?

I just got myself one of these machines. It's a 2011 model though, so cosmetically not as nice as yours

Quote Originally Posted by walrusPho View Post
    Nice work! Did you get all the leaks sorted?

I just got myself one of these machines. It's a 2011 model though, so cosmetically not as nice as yours
    Yes got all of the leaks fixed the small lines just required the fittings to be removed and resealed. The main Element was fitted with a ECM gasket as suggested by Renzo of Di Bartoil.

This machine was originally built in 2009 I've mostly used Purple Polish from Repco to clean up the metalwork it's amazing stuff I'd be surprised if you couldn't get yours to look pretty similar.

It's very shite and briney.
    Purple stuff is pretty good!
    Hoggy42 likes this.

Looks even better sitting in my Kitchen wife likes the look more then the old Office Control... So do I.

Isomac complete.jpg
    Dimal, greenman, CafeLotta and 1 others like this.

Great to see it fixed (lots of work there) and in the hands of a fellow snob!

There is something classic about an E61 with all stainless steel, machine looks great now.
    Hoggy42 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy42 View Post
    Yes got all of the leaks fixed the small lines just required the fittings to be removed and resealed. The main Element was fitted with a ECM gasket as suggested by Renzo of Di Bartoil.

This machine was originally built in 2009 I've mostly used Purple Polish from Repco to clean up the metalwork it's amazing stuff I'd be surprised if you couldn't get yours to look pretty similar.
    That's good to know! Looks like I'll be making a trip to Repco sometime!

Did you use purple polish on the e61 head as well? I've heard it's chrome plated over brass so polish isn't advised. Mine has quite a lot of pitting which I know I can't easily fix, but thinking of ways to still 'freshen' it up! Cheers
    Hoggy42 likes this.

Did you use purple polish on the e61 head as well? I've heard it's chrome plated over brass so polish isn't advised.
    Every E61 group I've seen bar one is indeed chrome plated brass: the exception is gold plated.

Since chrome is much harder than mild steel, an easy way to bring up the finish is to rub it with 0000 steel wool. This has the advantage of not eating into the very thin layer of plating.

That's good to know! Looks like I'll be making a trip to Repco sometime!

Did you use purple polish on the e61 head as well? I've heard it's chrome plated over brass so polish isn't advised. Mine has quite a lot of pitting which I know I can't easily fix, but thinking of ways to still 'freshen' it up! Cheers
    Yes used it on everything it's not abrasive at all and in all honesty the easiest polish to use it's from a company called Californian Custom if you look on YouTube you'll find some videos. I did have to use Autosol on some areas that were very difficult and I've still got a couple of areas where the dermel polishing kit will come out.