Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By flynnaus
  • 2 Post By Geoff_Squire
  • 3 Post By Geoff_Squire

Thread: ACS Minima DB

ACS Minima DB

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    And now for something completely different...

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordp...ction-machine/

ACS are somewhat renown for their 'outside the box' espresso machine design eg Ambient, Ventus. The Minima is the latest to hit our shores and appears to be an interesting design concept. A double boiler with a solenoid group, a smallish footprint and around-the-corner steam and hot water. It can even do pressure profiling if i read correctly.
    Not everyones (ahem) cup of tea I guess. Only one vendor in Oz from what I can see but at a sub-$3000 price, might be of interest to some looking for something different or don't have much bench space.
    Dimal, Yelta and Caffeinator like this.

Certainly an "out there" machine. Not a pressure profiler though.

Big steam boiler should relate to excellent milk texture performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Certainly an "out there" machine. Not a pressure profiler though.

Big steam boiler should relate to excellent milk texture performance.
    You're right. It offers pressure adjustment but not profiling.

I do like the look of this machine, it certainly sounds good, although at this price it has quite a bit of competition from proven machines.

I imagine it will certainly appeal to those looking for a compact machine.

Will be interesting to read user reviews once a few escape into the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I do like the look of this machine, it certainly sounds good, although at this price it has quite a bit of competition from proven machines.

not many double boilers in that sub-$3k price range. There's only the Profitec 300 and the Breville BES920 as far as i know.

Lelit PL92T, Expobar Minore IV (only other E61 I can think of), La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II come to mind
    Last edited by level3ninja; 17th June 2019 at 10:13 AM.

Ah yes, more than I first thought. Still, only a handful of machines at that price.

And if it's as functionally good as DC says it'll show if there's enough people out there who want function over form at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post

I picked one up about a month ago. In short, it Just Works very well, makes great coffee and steam, and so far we're very happy with it.

It's not easy to get a good idea of how it looks and works on the bench from the pictures - you really need to see one in the metal. The design and layout is unusual, but it helps make the compact dimensions possible, and gives you a larger work space than you might expect.

It lacks some of the bells and whistles, and the more luxurious finishes, of the $3k+ machines, but it has all the essentials plus a few nice extras like the last shot and no-service-boiler-refill-during-a-shot protections. I wouldn't step up to the other dual boilers unless it was to get some specific feature like profiling (and it already has the group manometer...) or plumbing.
    flynnaus and Caffeinator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_Squire View Post
    I picked one up about a month ago. In short, it Just Works very well, makes great coffee and steam, and so far we're very happy with it.
    Yep, saw your review on the vendor's website. What was it that made you decide on the Minima? I noticed your only beefs at this stage wre the drip tray and the colour of the handle of the water filler lid (is it replaceable?)

I'm fairly sure my next machine purchase will be a double boiler but not sure which. The Profitec Pro 700 (possibly with the pressure profiling paddle mod) is on my shortlist as is the Lelit Bianca which received a glowing review by Dave who also wrote the review on the Minima. But being a rather low volume coffee drinker, the Profitec Pro 600 might be all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Yep, saw your review on the vendor's website. What was it that made you decide on the Minima? I noticed your only beefs at this stage wre the drip tray and the colour of the handle of the water filler lid (is it replaceable?)

I'm fairly sure my next machine purchase will be a double boiler but not sure which. The Profitec Pro 700 (possibly with the pressure profiling paddle mod) is on my shortlist as is the Lelit Bianca which received a glowing review by Dave who also wrote the review on the Minima. But being a rather low volume coffee drinker, the Profitec Pro 600 might be all I need.
    It seemed like the best value for money for our needs, especially for a full dual boiler, and we liked the design both because it was different and as an attempt to optimise for both space and functionality. We couldn't justify the $1k+ more to step up to the profiling dual-boilers or full-size spring levers, not to mention the space requirements.

The drip tray is slightly awkward to handle because of the irregular shape, but works fine. The water lid handle should be replaceable - it's screwed onto the lid - but it hasn't bothered me enough to try. Now that you mention it, since it stands out anyway, I saw some funky painted cabinet/drawer handles in a craft shop the other day...

It seems to me that the Minima is roughly functionally equivalent to a Pro 600 in a slightly smaller but possibly less nicely finished (haven't seen a 600 in person) package at a lower price. YMMV regarding the design and looks, and I guess we'll have to see how reliable it is over time.

It has certainly drawn comments from visitors.
    Dimal, flynnaus and Caffeinator like this.