• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By BobSac
  • 2 Post By jksniper
  • 1 Post By Martino

Thread: Please recommend/help me decide on machine

Please recommend/help me decide on machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I currently use the old breville single boiler machine to make 3 long black coffees in the morning and 2 more in the afternoon and occasionally large lattes and cappuccinos on the weekends.

So my budget is up to approximately around the $2500. I am currently looking at the following models:

- nuova simonelli musica
    - vibiemme domobar junior
    - ecm mechanika
    - bezzera magica

What I want to know are the longevity (ie. maintenance costs from repairs etc), ease of use, steam power for 20oz jugs (i love a good steam wand - used to work as a barista for a few years)

I originally thought the musica would be perfect as it can be programmable and looks nice but reading some reviews it sounds like its not quite as solid as some of the other brands and could mount in repair costs?

Please give me some advise on your experience and/or suggestions or other machines.

UPDATE:

List updated to:

- bezzera magica
    - bezzera mitica top
    - ECM mechanica
    - rocket giotto type v
    - Expobar office leva

Quote Originally Posted by jksniper View Post
    UPDATE:

List updated to:

- bezzera magica
    - bezzera mitica top
    - ECM mechanica
    - rocket giotto type v
    - Expobar office leva
    Like the first four on your list JK, the Expobar? not so much, different category altogether.
    chippy likes this.

Expobar Office Leva.
    That's what I bought.

Long blacks are easy because of the hot water, milk-based no problem because it's HX (although I don't like the standard nozzle),

It's available for under $2K sometimes, I paid $1800 iirc.
    That leaves room for your grinder which is more important than the machine, so I'd not worry about the machine too much, the leva is fine, concentrate on what grinder to mate it with.

I've got a Macap M7D but would recommend an M4D or similar.
    Kjarsheim likes this.

The Expobar Office Leva is a great but basic machine...
    It is just as capable of producing the goods so long as you follow the three basic rules.
    1. Only use high quality, freshly roasted coffee.
    2. Use a decent quality burr grinder, eg Macap M2M (or M2D) and only grind immediately before you dose the Group Handle Filter.
    3. Use good technique in the areas of Dosing, Distribution and Tamping. Attending a Basic Barista Course will assist with this.

Most importantly, have fun...

Mal.
    Kjarsheim likes this.

Good advice ...and with the Leva, flush the group just prior to extraction.

I do this with almost every machine because I want the hot water in the cup to warm it as most machines I use don't heat the cups up enough during the 30 minutes warm up time before making my coffee.

The Leva warmed for about 2 hours not only has everything thoroughly hot, but the cups above machine are also heated well.

My leva is on for 10 hours a day, coffee tastes slightly better when it's on for some time versus a 30min warm up from dead cold.
    Dimal likes this.

So I have pulled the trigger on the ECM Technika V profi rotary pump machine from Jetblack Espresso.

I am using the reservoir tank for now and the coffee extraction is great.

Finally worked out how the temperature and steam pressure relationship works and its steaming great!
    Last edited by jksniper; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:21 AM.
    Dimal and JetBlack_Espresso like this.

Ha, I'm a bit late to this conversation but after seeing your post I wanted to say that as I read these posts starting at #1, I was going to suggest the ECM. My brother in law bought the Mechanika and I bought their Synchronika. These machines are beasts and will outlive us all! rock solid, built in Italy but managed from Germany gives you both traditional coffee machine experience coupled with precision engineering. We have each had our machines for around 9 months, no major complaints. They are pretty simple straight forward machines and whatever issues come up in the future, can be solved. I too came from a Breville, mine was the dual boiler and now that I have the ECM, that Breville was nothing more than a kitchen appliance built in China. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your brews!
    jksniper likes this.