Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By CrackAddict
  • 2 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Profitec 500 (non-Pro) weird problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9

    Profitec 500 (non-Pro) weird problem

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all - first post in a long time here. I have a Profitec 500 (before the Pro, so no PID) which has given great service but recently "blew" is overpressure safety valve (OPV).

    So, that's either a safety valve that's lost its setting or the pressurestat, right? Well, no. I replaced the safety valve *and* the pressurestat (upgraded to a Sirai) but it still blows the safety valve after warming up.

    And get this, the boiler pressure gauge never gets above 0.5 Bar - despite the OPV setting at 2.1 Bar. Huh?

    Now, the gauge is only an indicator, and the pressurestat actually cycles the heating element on/off to maintain pressure, right?

    So should I suspect the control box? I suppose it could be "ignoring" the pressurestat input and just leaving the element on until it pops the OPV.

    But what gives with the boiler pressure gauge? It is connected by a tiny - almost capillary - tube, so I suppose it is just not "keeping up" with the fast pressure rise from the (possibly) always-on element? That is, its reading lags the actual boiler pressure. BTW - always low TDS RO mix used, so scale is not an issue.

    Have others had similar issues? Maybe a stuck relay? Thanks for your insight - in the meantime, it's back to the Europiccola :-) - Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    179
    I'm not a tech and I'm not sure I can explain every symptom, but based on what I've seen and stories I've heard I'd wonder whether the boiler filling solenoid might be faulty. If the boiler is over-filling then the water has to go somewhere and my understanding is that the safety release is often the place. The other thing that can cause over-filling is a faulty or dirty probe - the one that triggers a boiler top-up.

    If there are any real techs here, I'm happy to have this contradicted if I'm wrong.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post
    I'm not a tech and I'm not sure I can explain every symptom, but based on what I've seen and stories I've heard I'd wonder whether the boiler filling solenoid might be faulty. If the boiler is over-filling then the water has to go somewhere and my understanding is that the safety release is often the place. The other thing that can cause over-filling is a faulty or dirty probe - the one that triggers a boiler top-up.

    If there are any real techs here, I'm happy to have this contradicted if I'm wrong.
    Thanks - that's a very good idea. Water is not compressible while steam is. I will check the level. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    186
    Did you actually set the pressurestat?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866
    Machinery problems are seldom "weird", they simply need to be looked at by a qualified tech.
    kofekitt and Sir like this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Did you actually set the pressurestat?
    I would think the boiler pressure gauge reading 0.5 Bar makes that moot

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9
    That's not very helpful, I'm afraid. Define "qualified tech." Is that the one that breaks it or the one that fixes it? Because I've met both of them. I'm not in an area where I have access to a "coffee machine tech", and shipping a 20 kg machine around is something I'd like to avoid. I've had machines for 20 years and fixed many myself. Let's face it - it ain't rocket surgery :-)

    I'm suspecting a stuck relay or a lack of controller action. But ideally I would prefer not to simply replace parts randomly. The Profitecs and the ECMs share some parts and issues, so I was hoping I might find some actual help or suggestions. I have contacted both Profitec and my selling dealer with no response from either (one week) so that's not a good sign

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackAddict View Post
    That's not very helpful, I'm afraid. Define "qualified tech." Is that the one that breaks it or the one that fixes it? Because I've met both of them. I'm not in an area where I have access to a "coffee machine tech", and shipping a 20 kg machine around is something I'd like to avoid. I've had machines for 20 years and fixed many myself. Let's face it - it ain't rocket surgery :-)
    Think I'll just let that one go through to the keeper.
    woodhouse and Caffeinator like this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9
    Your talents are wasted here - YouTube comments section for you, good sir (or madam)
    Erimus likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackAddict View Post
    So should I suspect the control box? I suppose it could be "ignoring" the pressurestat input and just leaving the element on until it pops the OPV
    I recall seeing a few ECM Mechanika and Technika machines a year or so ago which had stuck element relays, causing overpressure issues like what you are experiencing.

    As you are aware, ECM and Profitec are very similar and I believe share the same control box across several models. The 500 and the Mechanika/Technika are functionally identical so I would assume have the same controller.

    My guess here, given these assumptions, would be a faulty element relay.
    It's a cheap part readily available through RS Components. You'll need to get into the controller to find the ratings though as I don't remember off the top of my head.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackAddict View Post
    I would think the boiler pressure gauge reading 0.5 Bar makes that moot
    How so? It's clearly an issue of gauge not reflecting actual- due to scale or partial failure.

    If the safety is blowing off, you have too much pressure. If the gauge is not reading correctly, how did you adjust the pressurestat?

    It could be an element relay issue. It could also be caused by a maxed out or failed pressurestat and yes, I have seen brand new duds. It could also be caused by a scale blockage of pipe to pressurestat as well as the gauge.

    None of what you have said you have attempted makes any of that moot.

    Regardless of water, eliminate the easy ones and and then look at the element relay.
    Dimal and gordons like this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,127
    Tbh i neglected to read the rest of the post regarding the gauge issue.

    Do what Caffeinator said first.
    Dimal likes this.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    How so? It's clearly an issue of gauge not reflecting actual- due to scale or partial failure.

    If the safety is blowing off, you have too much pressure. If the gauge is not reading correctly, how did you adjust the pressurestat?

    It could be an element relay issue. It could also be caused by a maxed out or failed pressurestat and yes, I have seen brand new duds. It could also be caused by a scale blockage of pipe to pressurestat as well as the gauge.

    None of what you have said you have attempted makes any of that moot.

    Regardless of water, eliminate the easy ones and and then look at the element relay.
    Thanks - this machine has only ever had low-TDS blended RO water. I have replaced elements over the years on many of my machines and have never seen any scale buildup at all. I replaced the OPV on this one and could see no scale at that point. So scale is unlikely. And the gauge functions - it just doesn't read above 0.5 Bar. That is, it isn't frozen in place or slow to respond.

    Two things to try are dial down the (Sirai) pressurestat to eliminate that as a possibility (I tried that on the old pressurestat first to no avail) and also check the fill sensor (someone suggested the boiler could have overfilled). All helpful suggestions which I thank the posters for.

    I have found a useful reference here

    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...ic-t15097.html

    Which may shed some light. I've also just received a generic response to a second message to Profitec (which indicates they will message my dealer and jog them). They use a webmail form (no listed email contact) and I often find such messages are ignored.

    I'll update this thread once I've fixed the machine. It's not my primary machine so it may be some time - thanks again



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •