Thread: Extraction lever keeps falling down, automatically shutting off pump

Extraction lever keeps falling down, automatically shutting off pump

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have the ECM Synchronika and have noticed that when I lift the extraction lever to turn the pump on, it will automatically drop to the point of turning the pump off in about 3 or 4 seconds. I've always thought that the lever just didn't go quite high enough when lifting it all the way up, I mean it just feels like its always been on the verge of dropping back down but in fact has taken around 6 months before actually doing so.
    I took the group apart, cleaned and lubed the parts, stretched the upper and lower main springs about 150 thou and reassembled. That made it worse initially until after a few extractions where I suppose the water removed all excess lubrication and now its back to where it was before the procedure, it drops about 50% of the time. So I started studying the internal E61 parts diagram and am wondering what mechanism(s) govern the stop points of the cam? How does it know how far up the lever should go and how far down? I don't see any physical stop mechanisms outside the group but I see what looks like a screw head that goes nowhere, does nothing inside the cam cavity and am wondering if in fact its an eccentric screw that governs the stop points, anyone know for sure? Here's a pic.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 10.06.33 AM.jpg

Ok, that screw I mentioned in my last post is in fact what governs the stop positions of the cam but its not an eccentric so there's no adjusting it to change the cam stop points. It appears the only thing that holds the brew lever and associated cam in the brew position is the force put upon the cam by the cam followers which of course are the mushroom and exhaust valve seats and their springs. Is this correct?

E61 brew group cutaway.jpg

Not sure if this is the right parts diagram (and if it is allowed but this may help);

https://www.1st-line.com/wp-content/...roup-Parts.pdf

Also found this thread which may be related;
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...er-t12991.html

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Not sure if this is the right parts diagram (and if it is allowed but this may help);

https://www.1st-line.com/wp-content/...roup-Parts.pdf

Also found this thread which may be related;
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...er-t12991.html

Thanks Roosterben! Actually, my machine is a Synchronika but the brew group is the same as the Mechanika. I have the parts diagram for mine and I have already been to the home barista site you posted the link to. Thanks for taking the time to dig those up. From what I have seen, its common on an E31 for the lever to drop a tad during the extraction but when it drops all the way to the fully closed position, handle pointing straight down, something is wrong. The company I bought it from has offered to replace the entire brew group so that is what I will do. Maybe when they get my group they can find the root cause.

The store I bought the machine from sent me a complete new brew group head and I have just replaced mine with it yesterday. As of this writing, all is well again. This new head feels different than mine but then again, its new and mine was nine months old so I doubt I remember what mine felt like when it was new. Still, nine months is nothing so I have asked for feedback when the store checks it out to see what is wrong. If its nothing more than the springs compressed, I'll be disappointed that they didn't last longer than nine months - time will tell.