• 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By djkai
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Javaphile

Thread: ECM Giotto Premium - Steam Pressure HELP

Unhappy ECM Giotto Premium - Steam Pressure HELP

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I am hoping some of you might be able to help me here.

I am experiencing steam wand pressure issues with my ECM Giotto Premium.

Scouring the forum i have attempted a number of fixes with no real success.

Things I've tried...

• Performed grouphead clean (just to rule it out)
    • Removed steam wand and checked tubing for blisters or blockages
    • Remove steam wand copper pipe to boiler and checked for blockages
    • Removed sensors and check for any scale build up
    • Checked for leakages around boiler - none
    • Adjusted pressurestat to raise the pressure in boiler from 1.2 to 1.3/4

I'm all out of ideas.

The pressure i am getting is around 1.3 now and running the steam wand in milk i will see a drop of pressure to 1 bar (which is normally the case) for a couple of seconds before it drops to 0.6-0.7.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by djkai View Post
    I am experiencing steam wand pressure issues with my ECM Giotto Premium.
    You aren't clear on what your pressure problem is. Can you elaborate? Is the milk steaming capacity less than what you had previously on your ECM or have you recently bought the machine and you feel the steam isn't up to scratch?

Keep in mind that if you increase the pressure, you increase the temperature and this will affect the quality of your shots.
    robusto likes this.

After it drops to 0.6bar when you turn the steam off does it recover to its usual pressure and then hold pressure as normal when steaming the next time? If so it sounds like your anti-vacuum valve is sticking. While under pressure, being careful of steam/hot water coming out, push its rod a few times venting steam each time to free it up. If the problem continues rebuild or replace it.

Java "All steamed up" hile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    You aren't clear on what your pressure problem is. Can you elaborate? Is the milk steaming capacity less than what you had previously on your ECM or have you recently bought the machine and you feel the steam isn't up to scratch?

Keep in mind that if you increase the pressure, you increase the temperature and this will affect the quality of your shots.
    Sorry. Yes i am experiencing less steam than what i previously had.

And having tuned the pressurestat it has increased the temperature affecting my shots

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    After it drops to 0.6bar when you turn the steam off does it recover to its usual pressure and then hold pressure as normal when steaming the next time? If so it sounds like your anti-vacuum valve is sticking. While under pressure, being careful of steam/hot water coming out, push its rod a few times venting steam each time to free it up. If the problem continues rebuild or replace it.

Java "All steamed up" hile
    Yes it does recover to normal after steam is off and then does the same pressure drop when trying to steam again on the next cup after pulling a shot and going to steam.

I will give the anti vacuum push a go...

Desperate.

Thanks Javaphile
    Dimal likes this.

Could it be the heating element? once the pressure stat kicks in the heating element should turn on to help keep the pressure up. Have you noticed if it has taken longer to come up to pressure from cold?

You missed the critical part of my question.
    After it drops to 0.6bar when you turn the steam off does it recover to its usual pressure and then hold pressure as normal when steaming the next time?
    As your your last statement your system is NOT holding pressure as normal when steaming the 2nd time around. Hence the problem does NOT lie with your anti-vac valve.

Is your boiler filled to the same level as before? If the boiler is filled too high it can lead to conditions along the lines of what you describe.

Java "The devil is in the details" phile
    Dimal likes this.

A faulty vacuum break valve will give a slight but audible hiss. Very simple procedure to remove it, polish the piston and cylinder and replace the o-ring.

Assuming there are no leaks, and boiler head room is normal, it does sound as Harrison suggested, that the heating element is failing to keep up with demand.

I would observe what's happening at idle first. Look at the pressure gauge and listen for the pressurestat clicks. See whether the heating cycle followed by the rest cycle appears normal.

Then--without necessarily wasting coffee or milk--open the steam wand as normal, listen to see if the pressurestat has kicked in, and, also watching the pressure gauge, see how long it is taking to climb back to speed.

Any apparent abnormal behaviour would suggest possible reasons:

-Faulty pressurestat diaphragm. Taking too long to respond to pressure drop.
    -faulty heating element (scale encrusted?)

Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    A faulty vacuum break valve will give a slight but audible hiss. Very simple procedure to remove it, polish the piston and cylinder and replace the o-ring.
    The fault with the anti-vac valve that I was referring to was exactly the opposite of what you describe. I was referring to one that was sticking, there-by causing a false pressure scenario upon first heat-up/use of the day. Hence the troubleshooting procedure I gave.

A leaking one from a poorly seated/sealing o-ring would not cause the symptoms being reported unless it were a constant release of steam which would have been obvious enough to have been reported as a symptom.

Java "No steam volcano" phile
    Dimal likes this.