Results 1 to 39 of 39
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By MorganGT
  • 1 Post By MorganGT
  • 2 Post By Hoggy42
  • 3 Post By nickrauksts
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By nickrauksts

Thread: Vibiemme Domobar Super - Pump working, no water.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61

    Vibiemme Domobar Super - Pump working, no water.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

    Picked up a second hand Vibiemme Domobar Super today that they say was never used and has just been sitting around. The pump is working but no water is going into the boiler. From what I can see no water is in/out either of the tubes in the water reservoir. I have opened it up and there is no scale anywhere, so nothing is blocking any of the pipes or tubes.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? This is my replacement for my faulty Bezerra so as you could imagine I am desperato to find a solution.

  2. #2
    Member Hoggy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    90
    If you lift the brew level while the pump is running does water come from the group? If not does the sound from the pump change?

  3. #3
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,503
    When you say the pump is working, what makes you say it's working if no water is moving? Could it be an air lock?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy42 View Post
    If you lift the brew level while the pump is running does water come from the group? If not does the sound from the pump change?
    No to both of these mate

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    When you say the pump is working, what makes you say it's working if no water is moving? Could it be an air lock?
    Good point! So I just used a clear container so I could see what's going on. I could post a video but I think I can describe it. A few cm of water is being drawn into the hose but it's not travelling further down the hose, it also does not leak back out the other way if I take it out of the reservoir. Would this suggest an airlock?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrauksts View Post
    No to both of these mate
    I should also say that I don't have the model with the lever. It's got a single "button"

  7. #7
    Member Hoggy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    90
    I have a feeling Ninja is on the right path an air lock or a pump that needs to be primed could be the cause I'd try getting a syringe filling the line from the tank using gravity to help and see if you can get some water into the pump to get it started.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228
    Check the gicleur in the top of the e-61 group for blockage.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy42 View Post
    I have a feeling Ninja is on the right path an air lock or a pump that needs to be primed could be the cause I'd try getting a syringe filling the line from the tank using gravity to help and see if you can get some water into the pump to get it started.
    Yep that did the trick. Now I have a new problem. No water coming from the grouphead. I am getting steam and hot water through the wands though. Pressure gauge goes right up to 16bar.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    228
    See above. Clear the gicleur

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    See above. Clear the gicleur
    Thanks mate. Will check as soon as I get home and report back

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    See above. Clear the gicleur
    I cant see anything obvious. Any other suggestions?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    .

  14. #14
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,722
    Can you turn on the pump, and while it is running, loosen the pipe into the water pressure gauge. Notice if any water is coming out of it. If it is, the pump is working, it is priming water. Tighten the pipe connector while the pump is still running to avoid air entering, and switch off pump when done.

    Operate the brew switch, and if no water comes out, I'd be looking for blockages within the group, or a faulty fill solenoid or a faulty three-way valve solenoid.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Can you turn on the pump, and while it is running, loosen the pipe into the water pressure gauge. Notice if any water is coming out of it. If it is, the pump is working, it is priming water. Tighten the pipe connector while the pump is still running to avoid air entering, and switch off pump when done.

    Operate the brew switch, and if no water comes out, I'd be looking for blockages within the group, or a faulty fill solenoid or a faulty three-way valve solenoid.
    Water is coming out of the pipe to the pressure gauge but not out of the group. Should I be taking the group apart as the next step?

  16. #16
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,722
    Sounds that way unfortunately. It's not that difficult (at least not on mine).

    But before you do, perhaps check the solenoids.

    Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet and with an ohmmeter check resistance across the solenoids. If they show zero they are probably shorted and need replacing. There are other tests, but involve live power (24 volts or 230 depending on your machine).

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Sounds that way unfortunately. It's not that difficult (at least not on mine).

    But before you do, perhaps check the solenoids.

    Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet and with an ohmmeter check resistance across the solenoids. If they show zero they are probably shorted and need replacing. There are other tests, but involve live power (24 volts or 230 depending on your machine).
    Where abouts do I check the reaistance, is it juat in the pins? I've circled where I checked and it showed resistance.

  18. #18
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,722
    The two spade terminals facing each other is where you measure. Should get resistance of around 0.7 K ohm (mine reads between 0.7 and 0.8).

    I'm not familiar with your Vibiemme, but there should be two solenoids -- the two way fill valve one, and the three-way on the actual group.

    T

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    The two spade terminals facing each other is where you measure. Should get resistance of around 0.7 K ohm (mine reads between 0.7 and 0.8).

    I'm not familiar with your Vibiemme, but there should be two solenoids -- the two way fill valve one, and the three-way on the actual group.

    T
    Ok so the two way valve is measuring 0.9

    I might need help identifying the other solenoid valve.

  20. #20
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,881
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    I'm not familiar with your Vibiemme, but there should be two solenoids -- the two way fill valve one, and the three-way on the actual group.
    Think the VBM uses a proprietary version of an E-61 Group so there should only be the Boiler Fill Solenoid.
    Worth stripping down the Group to its component parts, cleaning then replacing any worn components and reassembling (relubing the Leva Cam also)... Site Sponsor Coffee Parts will have all the necessary bits and pieces but you need to state that you have a VBM machine, as some of the parts are slightly different to other E-61 Groups.

    Mal.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Think the VBM uses a proprietary version of an E-61 Group so there should only be the Boiler Fill Solenoid.
    Worth stripping down the Group to its component parts, cleaning then replacing any worn components and reassembling (relubing the Leva Cam also)... Site Sponsor Coffee Parts will have all the necessary bits and pieces but you need to state that you have a VBM machine, as some of the parts are slightly different to other E-61 Groups.

    Mal.
    Ahh ok that makes me feel a little bit less stupid. Any idea how I get to the pipes right at the back there that connect to the group head? Struggling to get in from the side, just get a longer wrench?

    I'm hoping nothing is worn. the machine has "apparently" never been used, which explains the no scale situation but maybe they just gave it a good descale before selling.
    Last edited by nickrauksts; 17th August 2019 at 07:22 PM.

  22. #22
    Member Hoggy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    90
    Nick you did say this machine has a brew button and no brew lever correct? could you take a photo of the front?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy42 View Post
    Nick you did say this machine has a brew button and no brew lever correct? could you take a photo of the front?
    Sure thing

  24. #24
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,722
    Mal may well be right--as I say, I am not familiar with the Vibiemme. But the absence of a lever, and instead having a brew switch, led me to believe it should have a three-way valve operated by a solenoid.
    level3ninja likes this.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Mal may well be right--as I say, I am not familiar with the Vibiemme. But the absence of a lever, and instead having a brew switch, led me to believe it should have a three-way valve operated by a solenoid.
    Is there any danger in me running the machine with the brew group detached to see if the water is at least getting there from one of the two pipes that connect to the brew group?

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Juat wondering if this is what I should be seeing after removing the shower screen and the group sprayer? Also, I know my machine is slightly different to this as it does not have the brew lever, but I dont have parts 6, 7 or 8. Should I?

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Mal may well be right--as I say, I am not familiar with the Vibiemme. But the absence of a lever, and instead having a brew switch, led me to believe it should have a three-way valve operated by a solenoid.
    The photo of the front is from too high an angle to show it, but there should be a little stainless steel 'box' under the group head that covers the 3 way valve, probably held in place by the exhaust tube that points down into the drip tray. Unscrewing the exhaust tube should allow the cover to slide down and off the 3 way valve, then there will probably be a thin 14mm nut that you undo to remove the coil to access the terminals to test it.
    Dimal likes this.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrauksts View Post
    I dont have parts 6, 7 or 8. Should I?
    Those parts are the inlet valve that is operated by the lever cam - a non-lever group like yours won't have those.
    nickrauksts likes this.

  29. #29
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,881
    Yep, M-GT is correct if you have a non-leva Group...
    Thought you had a Leva E-61...

    Mal.

  30. #30
    Member Hoggy42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    90
    I think this is the group you are looking for. If I had to take a guess I'd say all of those years of this machine sitting around I'd say something is stuck or seized keep doing what you are doing stripping and cleaning reassemble and test.
    vbm-spare-parts-2_1.png


    https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts...enoid-operated

    Dimal and nickrauksts like this.

  31. #31
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    990
    What about removing the 3way all together. Then if pump runs and pumps water out where the 3way is, you have water to the group.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    990
    I think that will be your problem, in that 3way. Dislodged wire, sticking plunger.. something in there.
    Im not sure of it's modes of operation...

    This guy is:

    http://espressomyespresso.com/3way/intro.html

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Checked that water was at least travelling through one of the pipes leading to the group. It was but looked like there was a partial blockage. Took the group apart and the two main pipes connected to it and descaled everything. Machine is now working as it should, maybe a tad hot and pressure is too high. Thinking of getting it serviced anyway just to make sure everything else is OK and to have the temp and pressure properly dialed in.

    Really grateful for all the knowledge on this forum. Thanks again.

    Nick
    Dimal, level3ninja and Hoggy42 like this.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Lyrebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrauksts View Post
    Machine is now working as it should, maybe a tad hot and pressure is too high.
    Those two things march in lockstep and thus both can be addressed by tweaking the pressurestat down a notch or two.
    nickrauksts likes this.

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    91
    Everything you have done already is much trickier than adjusting the pressure/temp.

    I have been working on a Domobar Super (slightly different model). Adjusting the temp/pressure is pretty simple. Just remove the top cup tray and the black plastic cap to get to the pressure stat adjustment which requires a flat screwdriver.

    If you haven't found it already 1st Line coffee has a great manual for Domobar Super.

    I have attached it as it may be some help as it has a section on adjusting pressure and also a pressure to temperature guide. Aim for 1.1 bar on the left gauge as this should equate to 93 degrees Celsius for water temperature.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 19th August 2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Attachment deleted
    nickrauksts likes this.

  36. #36
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,669
    That manual has been available here in the Pointy End Documentation Area for over a year and a half.


    Java "Here it be" phile
    nickrauksts likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  37. #37
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrauksts View Post
    Machine is now working as it should......Thinking of getting it serviced anyway just to make sure everything else is OK and to have the temp and pressure properly dialed in.
    Good to see you've got the machine working....
    I'd say you've given it a pretty good service yourself. It's working, and if it aint broke, why go have it fixed? Turn down the pressurestat to lower the heat till you're satisfied, and enjoy the coffees.
    nickrauksts likes this.

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kingaroy, Queensland
    Posts
    61
    Thanks everyone. Will have a read of the manual and adjust myself. I think I'll skip the service for now as well
    BangalowBarista likes this.

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Byron Bay
    Posts
    51
    Nice work mate.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •