• 1 Post By MorganGT
  • 2 Post By Hoggy42
  • 3 Post By nickrauksts
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By nickrauksts

Thread: Vibiemme Domobar Super - Pump working, no water.

Vibiemme Domobar Super - Pump working, no water.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Picked up a second hand Vibiemme Domobar Super today that they say was never used and has just been sitting around. The pump is working but no water is going into the boiler. From what I can see no water is in/out either of the tubes in the water reservoir. I have opened it up and there is no scale anywhere, so nothing is blocking any of the pipes or tubes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is my replacement for my faulty Bezerra so as you could imagine I am desperato to find a solution.

If you lift the brew level while the pump is running does water come from the group? If not does the sound from the pump change?

When you say the pump is working, what makes you say it's working if no water is moving? Could it be an air lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy42 View Post
    If you lift the brew level while the pump is running does water come from the group? If not does the sound from the pump change?
    No to both of these mate

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    When you say the pump is working, what makes you say it's working if no water is moving? Could it be an air lock?
    Good point! So I just used a clear container so I could see what's going on. I could post a video but I think I can describe it. A few cm of water is being drawn into the hose but it's not travelling further down the hose, it also does not leak back out the other way if I take it out of the reservoir. Would this suggest an airlock?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrauksts View Post
    No to both of these mate
    I should also say that I don't have the model with the lever. It's got a single "button"

I have a feeling Ninja is on the right path an air lock or a pump that needs to be primed could be the cause I'd try getting a syringe filling the line from the tank using gravity to help and see if you can get some water into the pump to get it started.

Check the gicleur in the top of the e-61 group for blockage.

I have a feeling Ninja is on the right path an air lock or a pump that needs to be primed could be the cause I'd try getting a syringe filling the line from the tank using gravity to help and see if you can get some water into the pump to get it started.
    Yep that did the trick. Now I have a new problem. No water coming from the grouphead. I am getting steam and hot water through the wands though. Pressure gauge goes right up to 16bar.

See above. Clear the gicleur

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Thanks mate. Will check as soon as I get home and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    I cant see anything obvious. Any other suggestions?

Can you turn on the pump, and while it is running, loosen the pipe into the water pressure gauge. Notice if any water is coming out of it. If it is, the pump is working, it is priming water. Tighten the pipe connector while the pump is still running to avoid air entering, and switch off pump when done.

Operate the brew switch, and if no water comes out, I'd be looking for blockages within the group, or a faulty fill solenoid or a faulty three-way valve solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    Can you turn on the pump, and while it is running, loosen the pipe into the water pressure gauge. Notice if any water is coming out of it. If it is, the pump is working, it is priming water. Tighten the pipe connector while the pump is still running to avoid air entering, and switch off pump when done.

Operate the brew switch, and if no water comes out, I'd be looking for blockages within the group, or a faulty fill solenoid or a faulty three-way valve solenoid.
    Water is coming out of the pipe to the pressure gauge but not out of the group. Should I be taking the group apart as the next step?

Sounds that way unfortunately. It's not that difficult (at least not on mine).

But before you do, perhaps check the solenoids.

Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet and with an ohmmeter check resistance across the solenoids. If they show zero they are probably shorted and need replacing. There are other tests, but involve live power (24 volts or 230 depending on your machine).

Sounds that way unfortunately. It's not that difficult (at least not on mine).

But before you do, perhaps check the solenoids.

Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet and with an ohmmeter check resistance across the solenoids. If they show zero they are probably shorted and need replacing. There are other tests, but involve live power (24 volts or 230 depending on your machine).
    Where abouts do I check the reaistance, is it juat in the pins? I've circled where I checked and it showed resistance.

The two spade terminals facing each other is where you measure. Should get resistance of around 0.7 K ohm (mine reads between 0.7 and 0.8).

I'm not familiar with your Vibiemme, but there should be two solenoids -- the two way fill valve one, and the three-way on the actual group.

T

The two spade terminals facing each other is where you measure. Should get resistance of around 0.7 K ohm (mine reads between 0.7 and 0.8).

I'm not familiar with your Vibiemme, but there should be two solenoids -- the two way fill valve one, and the three-way on the actual group.

T
    Ok so the two way valve is measuring 0.9

I might need help identifying the other solenoid valve.

Think the VBM uses a proprietary version of an E-61 Group so there should only be the Boiler Fill Solenoid.
    Worth stripping down the Group to its component parts, cleaning then replacing any worn components and reassembling (relubing the Leva Cam also)... Site Sponsor Coffee Parts will have all the necessary bits and pieces but you need to state that you have a VBM machine, as some of the parts are slightly different to other E-61 Groups.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Think the VBM uses a proprietary version of an E-61 Group so there should only be the Boiler Fill Solenoid.
    Worth stripping down the Group to its component parts, cleaning then replacing any worn components and reassembling (relubing the Leva Cam also)... Site Sponsor Coffee Parts will have all the necessary bits and pieces but you need to state that you have a VBM machine, as some of the parts are slightly different to other E-61 Groups.

Mal.
    Ahh ok that makes me feel a little bit less stupid. Any idea how I get to the pipes right at the back there that connect to the group head? Struggling to get in from the side, just get a longer wrench?

I'm hoping nothing is worn. the machine has "apparently" never been used, which explains the no scale situation but maybe they just gave it a good descale before selling.
    Last edited by nickrauksts; 17th August 2019 at 07:22 PM.

Nick you did say this machine has a brew button and no brew lever correct? could you take a photo of the front?

Nick you did say this machine has a brew button and no brew lever correct? could you take a photo of the front?
    Sure thing

Mal may well be right--as I say, I am not familiar with the Vibiemme. But the absence of a lever, and instead having a brew switch, led me to believe it should have a three-way valve operated by a solenoid.
    level3ninja likes this.

Mal may well be right--as I say, I am not familiar with the Vibiemme. But the absence of a lever, and instead having a brew switch, led me to believe it should have a three-way valve operated by a solenoid.
    Is there any danger in me running the machine with the brew group detached to see if the water is at least getting there from one of the two pipes that connect to the brew group?

Juat wondering if this is what I should be seeing after removing the shower screen and the group sprayer? Also, I know my machine is slightly different to this as it does not have the brew lever, but I dont have parts 6, 7 or 8. Should I?

The photo of the front is from too high an angle to show it, but there should be a little stainless steel 'box' under the group head that covers the 3 way valve, probably held in place by the exhaust tube that points down into the drip tray. Unscrewing the exhaust tube should allow the cover to slide down and off the 3 way valve, then there will probably be a thin 14mm nut that you undo to remove the coil to access the terminals to test it.
    Dimal likes this.

I dont have parts 6, 7 or 8. Should I?
    Those parts are the inlet valve that is operated by the lever cam - a non-lever group like yours won't have those.
    nickrauksts likes this.

Yep, M-GT is correct if you have a non-leva Group...
    Thought you had a Leva E-61...

Mal.

I think this is the group you are looking for. If I had to take a guess I'd say all of those years of this machine sitting around I'd say something is stuck or seized keep doing what you are doing stripping and cleaning reassemble and test.
    vbm-spare-parts-2_1.png

https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts...enoid-operated

Dimal and nickrauksts like this.

What about removing the 3way all together. Then if pump runs and pumps water out where the 3way is, you have water to the group.

I think that will be your problem, in that 3way. Dislodged wire, sticking plunger.. something in there.
    Im not sure of it's modes of operation...

This guy is:

http://espressomyespresso.com/3way/intro.html

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Checked that water was at least travelling through one of the pipes leading to the group. It was but looked like there was a partial blockage. Took the group apart and the two main pipes connected to it and descaled everything. Machine is now working as it should, maybe a tad hot and pressure is too high. Thinking of getting it serviced anyway just to make sure everything else is OK and to have the temp and pressure properly dialed in.

Really grateful for all the knowledge on this forum. Thanks again.

Nick
    Dimal, level3ninja and Hoggy42 like this.

Machine is now working as it should, maybe a tad hot and pressure is too high.
    Those two things march in lockstep and thus both can be addressed by tweaking the pressurestat down a notch or two.
    nickrauksts likes this.

Everything you have done already is much trickier than adjusting the pressure/temp.

I have been working on a Domobar Super (slightly different model). Adjusting the temp/pressure is pretty simple. Just remove the top cup tray and the black plastic cap to get to the pressure stat adjustment which requires a flat screwdriver.

If you haven't found it already 1st Line coffee has a great manual for Domobar Super.

I have attached it as it may be some help as it has a section on adjusting pressure and also a pressure to temperature guide. Aim for 1.1 bar on the left gauge as this should equate to 93 degrees Celsius for water temperature.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 19th August 2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Attachment deleted
    nickrauksts likes this.

That manual has been available here in the Pointy End Documentation Area for over a year and a half.

Java "Here it be" phile
    nickrauksts likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Machine is now working as it should......Thinking of getting it serviced anyway just to make sure everything else is OK and to have the temp and pressure properly dialed in.
    Good to see you've got the machine working....
    I'd say you've given it a pretty good service yourself. It's working, and if it aint broke, why go have it fixed? Turn down the pressurestat to lower the heat till you're satisfied, and enjoy the coffees.
    nickrauksts likes this.

Thanks everyone. Will have a read of the manual and adjust myself. I think I'll skip the service for now as well
    BangalowBarista likes this.

Nice work mate.