Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By RatBot2000

Thread: Espresso machine for home roaster advice

Espresso machine for home roaster advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.

I have been drinking nothing but filter coffee for quite some time after and I really feel the itch to go back to espresso.

I mainly drink long blacks, but i would test milk based maybe once a week.

Since I will be roasting my own espresso, I would want the machine to be as consistent as possible (within reason) so that the only variable would be my roast times.

I started with the Silvia w/ PID but then doubled *cough* my budget and looked at E61 machines.

The list so far:

Lelit Mara PL62T

Expobar Minore IV

ECM Classika PID

Budget: pref under 3k, unless justified.

Love to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

A Decent espresso machine which would be perfect and even show you graphs of pressure etc, but probably a bit over budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RatBot2000 View Post
    Hi all.

I have been drinking nothing but filter coffee for quite some time after and I really feel the itch to go back to espresso.

I mainly drink long blacks, but i would test milk based maybe once a week.

Since I will be roasting my own espresso, I would want the machine to be as consistent as possible (within reason) so that the only variable would be my roast times.

I started with the Silvia w/ PID but then doubled *cough* my budget and looked at E61 machines.

The list so far:

Lelit Mara PL62T

Expobar Minore IV

ECM Classika PID

Budget: pref under 3k, unless justified.

Love to hear your thoughts

Many thanks
    Morning RatBot, suggest you have a look at the Bezzera Domus Galate https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-galatea.html

Good value at $2500, built like a tank, and will provide you with excellent espresso with a minimum of fuss, I've had one for almost 10 years, have never regretted the purchase.

For your usage a SBDU would be ideal. The ECM Classica PID you listed is the best of that bunch (https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...-classika-pid/)

Or alternatively a small double boiler like the Profitec Pro 300 (https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...fitec-pro-300/)

You don't say what grinder you have, but a Niche Zero would be perfect for switching back and forth between filter and espresso (how I use mine).
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post

You don't say what grinder you have, but a Niche Zero would be perfect for switching back and forth between filter and espresso (how I use mine).
    Sorry, I have a Sette 270 atm but I really want/plan to get the Niche! Jealous!
    My only concern is the max dose being 50g? largest dose I would do is 65-70g. Guess i could do it in 2 hits.....

I am leaning towards the ECM since the steam function will only get used once a week, if that.
    LauriG likes this.