Thread: Has anybody replaced Minores std frothing tip?

Has anybody replaced Minores std frothing tip?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Woo Hooo! I finally got approval from the familys financial controller (aka my wife) to get an Expobar Minore 2. *[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

I read somewhere (Whole Latte Love or Home Barista, I think) that the standard frothing tip that comes with the machine is a bit on the slow side - I believe it is a single hole tip.

I currently have a PIDd Silvia and I can get really nice microfoam from it but I find the frothing process quite slow. I understand that the Minores standard tip is not much faster than Silvias (also a single hole tip).

Has anybody replaced it with a multi-hole / different tip to speed up the frothing process? I dont want to sacrifice quality of the frothing for speed - I want both! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I am interested in hearing your experiences. Should I even bother with this upgrade?

TC

Re: Has anybody replaced Minores std frothing tip

Quote Originally Posted by eran48 link=1188952532/0#0 date=1188952532
    Woo Hooo! I finally got approval from the familys financial controller (aka my wife) to get an Expobar Minore 2. *[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

I read somewhere (Whole Latte Love or Home Barista, I think) that the standard frothing tip that comes with the machine is a bit on the slow side - I believe it is a single hole tip.

I currently have a PIDd Silvia and I can get really nice microfoam from it but I find the frothing process quite slow. I understand that the Minores standard tip is not much faster than Silvias (also a single hole tip).

Has anybody replaced it with a multi-hole / different tip to speed up the frothing process? I dont want to sacrifice quality of the frothing for speed - I want both! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I am interested in hearing your experiences. Should I even bother with this upgrade?
    Hi Eran,

You will love the new cool touch wand with 2 hole giotto style tip (standard on current Oz spec. Minore II).

I have pmed you some pricing info as well.... 8-)

Chris

Eran,

As Chris has said, the 2 hole cool touch is standard now on this machine.

I have a Minore II with this wand one and absolutely love it.

No problem creating the microfoam. At least twice as fast on the steaming compared to the Silvia (I also upgraded from a Silvia).

Any problems with the milk are caused by me and not the machine.

The only thing to be careful about is the cool touch wand can make you a bit complacent.
    I sometimes forget the hot water wand is NOT cool touch. I remember pretty quickly when I do the burny ow-ows!

GETITGETITGETITGETITGETITGETIT!

GETIT NOW!

Brett.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I did not know that the Aussie Minores already come with 2 hole tips - I guess we dont need machines with training wheels here, eh? *[smiley=wink.gif]

Thank you Chris for the fantastic offer *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy link=1188952532/0#2 date=1188954116

No problem creating the microfoam. At least twice as fast on the steaming compared to the Silvia (I also upgraded from a Silvia).

Any problems with the milk are caused by me and not the machine.

Brett.
    Fatboy, you sound like you have worked out how to make microfoam with the standard tip. I am still having difficulty doing it. I had produced many perfect microfoam with my sunbeam, my friends Isomac Venus and other machines so I know how to do it but just cannot get this one right.

Where do you place the tip in the pitcher to for best position?

No matter what I do I get some small bubbles. When I plug one hole up I can make much better microfoam but still not perfect. I find the hole diameter to be too big and it seems to suck too much air in.

Go for it Eran :D

Ive had mine for almost a month, and am really enjoying it. Great machine, good quality, very well built.

I suspect you will need some time to adjust your steaming technique. Things happen pretty fast with this machine. Only suggestion is that you need to concentrate from the very start to get reasonable results. I dont think you can replace the tip without replacing the wand, but I dont think you will need too.

Keep us posted ;D

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Monti link=1188952532/0#4 date=1189218186
    Fatboy, you sound like you have worked out how to make microfoam with the standard tip. I am still having difficulty doing it. I had produced many perfect microfoam with my sunbeam, my friends Isomac Venus and other machines so I know how to do it but just cannot get this one right.

Where do you place the tip in the pitcher to for best position?

No matter what I do I get some small bubbles. When I plug one hole up I can make much better microfoam but still not perfect. I find the hole diameter to be too big and it seems to suck too much air in.
    Monti,
    Ive only got it totally sussed for the 300ml jug thus far.
    Bigger sizes I still get good results, but not as silky as the 300ml.

I fill to just a bit over half.
    Wand almost at maximum angle up.
    Try to only allow air in with the swirl a few short times in the first 5-10 seconds.
    Then settle slightly off centre towards the left and slightly away from the machine.
    Wand down so as to keep the swirl but no more extra air.
    I have found the first 10 seconds will totally define a success or failure for me.

Hope that helps.

Brett.

So, you start on the left side of the pitcher just off centre and you must be spinning the milk counter clockwise then. I normally do it clockwise, hold the jug in the right hand and tip on the right hand side of the jug. I am right handed.

It seems that you change the wand angle from wide (from vertical) at the start to small (from vertical) towards the end.
    I normally try to keep the same angle at all times.

Ill see what happens.

Cheers

To the first bit. I am spinning clockwise. I have the wand extended out away from the machine.
    hold the jug handle in the right hand - spout facing away from the machine.
    Wand goes in the left and starts the swirl in a clockwise direction.

Re: the wand change. Wand down was a bad use of words.
    I just move the jug up a little and the angle stays the same.

Brett.

Having used Mr Minore for a couple of weeks now, I agree with Fatboy.

The steaming is twice as fast as with Miss Silvia but harder to get smooth microfoam. And all the action is in the first 10 seconds or so.

But I am improving slowly - it is much better now than two weeks ago but I still need to pay close attention to the frothing process in order to get decent microfoam. After using Miss Silvia for 2 years, its pretty much a no brainer getting excellent microfoam.

I did managed to get very good microfoam the other day with a beautiful sheen on it - at least I know now that good microfoam IS possible but there is a steep learning curve to climb to get there.

With the two hole tip, it is certainly much easier to get the milk swirling nicely around the jug.

The milk heats up so quickly (about 20sec for two cappas) that I found it essential to use a thermometer to make sure I dont burn the milk.

Because I have to concentrate so much when frothing, I cant pull a shot and froth at the same time. Not presently anyway. Tried doing it once and ended up with a sour very long black and balloons in the frothing jug *[smiley=tongue.gif]

Stick with it eran.
    Im about to change my leva arm to the new Minore one.
    Ive struggled too often over the last year to get decent microfoam.
    I have a theory that the newer tip will help me.

I started on the Expobar so have never had to step up from a Silvia or anything else.

I used the Minore at the Aromafest for about 10 straight hours and steaming did seem to be easier than at home.