Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By 338
  • 4 Post By nickR
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 2 Post By colombiasmoothbean
  • 2 Post By robusto

Thread: How to replace a perfect 2 group Gaggia GX Lever machine? Help please...

How to replace a perfect 2 group Gaggia GX Lever machine? Help please...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Advice please! I should have said 'appropriate replacement for...'

So this is the situation: I have always desired a lever machine. Then by chance I came upon this almost unused (as it turned out) lovely two group Gaggia GX lever. It is immaculate. Outside and inside are stunning. Electric/gas. I was lucky to find it, it still had the protective plastic on the stainless and only one group had been used and that very sparingly. There was even a spare portafilter that I had turned out and made naked and then chromed. Then we moved house and there is no way that my wife would let it into the house. So we use a Rocket Giotto inside. I had thought I could part with the Gaggia, advertised and some offers came in but I could not bear to sell it.

And so my amazing Gaggia GX lever is in my garage/workshop, on a cart and all connected. Every now and then I go, turn it on, have a coffee with friends and then in all its glory it is back under a cover sheet until next time. A terrible situation.

What I love is how it pulls perfect shots, the poetry of the lever being pushed down, the spring slowly pushing it up, the oozing of the first drop, the perfect puck when changing the portafilter, the endless steam from a large tank, the quiet of not having any pump during extraction, the beauty of its stainless steel and Ferrrari-red body and the shiny massive lever groups. Just everything. Most of it though I love the poetry of the lever action.

And as it is in the workshop I've been wondering if I could replace it with a one group lever machine that I could bring to live inside. At least with a new owner my machine would be used in all its glory.

I've looked and there are options. For example a Bezzera Strega.

What would you go for?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (888.6 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (726.1 KB, 25 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (851.2 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (498.1 KB, 22 views)

You have spoken a lot about the Gaggia, but really you didn't explain much about the other option, how expensive it would be to get rid of the wife and get a bigger kitchen?
    Dimal, robusto, nickR and 1 others like this.

Coffee Fiend
    Can I come and live in your shed? Happy to do basic coffee machine maintenance in return for board...

Buy that Cremina which just dropped in the for sale section ...
    Last edited by roosterben; 20 Hours Ago at 03:43 PM.
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    You have spoken a lot about the Gaggia, but really you didn't explain much about the other option, how expensive it would be to get rid of the wife and get a bigger kitchen?
    No option. She's perfect. Puts up with my mad ideas.
    Dimal and 338 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Buy that Cremina which just dropped in the for sale section ...
    That's nice but not right. It's a lever machine, but...

I definitely want one with a substantive group head for temperature stability, decent size boiler and it has to be a spring loaded lever.

CSB, only one option if you don't see a move and bigger kitchen coming. Stick it in the for sale section (I think I saw it there before) and start auditioning the Strega, Profitec 800, Alex Leva choices or something vintage and single lever.

I would hang onto it. Yes it is a pity something you love has to sit lonely under wraps...but you can and do still love it and it brings you joy.

Get rid of it...and the joy goes with it. And what does its sale or whatever achieve? Makes a tiny bit more space in your garage. Space which brings you no joy...just a cold longing for your machine which is out there...somewhere...

Spare yourself the heartache. Keep it.
    Dimal and Sullo like this.