• 3 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By robusto
  • 1 Post By flashpixx
  • 4 Post By Lyrebird
  • 3 Post By flashpixx

Thread: Temp Adjustment on ECM Mechanika Questions

Temp Adjustment on ECM Mechanika Questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Pressure sits at around 1.35 Bar when warmed up so I need to run 250ml of water through the head to cool it.

I can see the pressure stat (Sirai) and little symbol showing which way to turn.

Given for 5 days out of 7, I make one coffee at a time (2 on weekend), and steam about 200ml of milk, I'm thinking a reduction in steam pressure isnt going to hurt me (and rebound will be a non-issue).

What pressure should I am for as starting point? 1.1 Bar?? How many turns might that be?

If I want to adjust the thermosyphon (assuming I can and there is some sort of a valve arrangement) what is it I am looking for in the ECM... ie what does it look like? Will the pipe be running from the top of the boiler thru the head to the bottom of the boiler?

Thank you

250ml cooling flush? That seems excessive. Does it take 250ml for it to stop hissing and steaming from the group? I can't imagine even the hottest E61 taking that long.

Modern ECM HX machines should be calibrated to operate around 1.4-1.5 bar, with minimal or no need for a cooling flush.

Turn yours down to 1-1.1 bar and see how that goes. As long as when you're steaming it doesn't drop below about 0.8 it should still produce acceptable milk. Can't really advise how many turns it will take, just start turning until it gets to the range needed.

If you are still having trouble, you can install a restrictor in the upper thermosyphon pipe. This is accessible directly at the top of the boiler when you take the lid off. Jetblack Espresso sell suitable restrictors and would probably be able to advise the best size for your machine. In my experience, a restrictor around 1.5mm is a good place to start.
    Dimal, CafeLotta and flashpixx like this.

Thank you! It takes about 150 ml to stop hissing etc, the other 100ml to get it to around 93 deg at the shower screen.

You will need to turn the Sirai adjusting screw a few turns. Do it, for safety, with power off. Try two turns first, power back up and see what the pressure gauge says. Continue the process until you are comfortable with the setting.

The thermosyphon: top of the heat exchanger to the top of the group is the hotter water....bottom pipe on the group to the bottom of the heat exchanger is the not as hot return water.

The brew and thermosyphon uses the same water. The boiler uses different water, to provide overall heat, and for steaming and hot water tap.

To measure your brew water temperature, if you have a digital
    voltmeter with temperature setting...

remove the basket from the portafilter. Run up a K type thermocouple from the spout to just about where the basket normally sits. Stuff a tissue around it to simulate coffee to slow the pour, lock the PF and run water through. Read the temp.
    Dimal likes this.

Gotcha thanks. Have a Coffee Sensor digital thermometer in the group head, while not 100% accurate it is good for relative change and within 2 deg of shower head temp.
    hopefully the pressure stat adjustment will stop the overheating and excess flush to cool the group head.
    All good fun, still learning so all is good
    robusto likes this.

In case it's not obvious from the responses above, you have to wait a while for the boiler to equilibrate after making an adjustment. When you adjust down you can speed this up by venting the boiler through the steam wand. When you adjust up you just have to wait.
    Dimal, robusto, CafeLotta and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    In case it's not obvious from the responses above, you have to wait a while for the boiler to equilibrate after making an adjustment. When you adjust down you can speed this up by venting the boiler through the steam wand. When you adjust up you just have to wait.
    Thanks, I'll make a coffee while I.....

Thanks noidle22, robusto and lyrebird all sorted. A few trial runs, settled on just below 1.2 Bar, still needs a short flush, rebounds quickly and only lost a very minor amount of steam pressure. Very happy
    Dimal, CafeLotta and level3ninja like this.