Thread: Improving Coffee from Jura Impressa S95?

CharlieD

Improving Coffee from Jura Impressa S95?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Gday all, first time posting :) ,

At work weve got a Jura Impressa S95 automatic machine. It makes some nasty coffee. Im wondering how to improve it...

First target was the beans: no idea how old or stale the office beans are but they seemed pretty bad. Have just tried some freshly roasted beans (from Neil @ ministrygrounds)... No dice, still pretty bad.

The pour is never dark: starts hazelnut coloured and only gets lighter. Going for a short pour doesnt seem to improve things.

There are a range of settings but I cant think of any that would make a difference:

1. Grind fineness can be set with a dial with about 5 clicks on it.

2. Coffee temperature can be set to "Normal" or "High".

3. You can put ground coffee straight in. Perhaps I should try some well-ground coffee and see if that improves things?

4. Pour quantity can be programmed.

Any clues on ways to improve the quality of the coffee from this machine? Im not expecting anything incredible, just a reasonable shot thats good enough for the morning milk coffee.

Ta!
    Charlie

P.S. Am spoilt at home with new EM6910 home: upgraded from a broken EM5600 (faulty LCD), so the work coffee is seeming worse and worse in comparison.

Re: Improving Coffee from Jura Impressa S95?

Charlie,

There are som many things that you can do. By the sounds of the coffee that was already in the hopper the machine may have had a chequered past.

Firstly, use a Jura cleaning tablet (or 2) in the cleaning cycle to clean the brewer internally maing a cleaner brewing surface. If you dont have any they are available from here (http://www.gilkatho.com.au/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=40).

Secondly, look in setup and adjust the Powder Quantity to give yourself a better shot.

Thirdly, adjust the grinder while it is in motion and try 2-3 coffees in each position before moving onto another position.

Fourthly, is there a water filter in the water tank? If the age of the filter is not known then I suggest replacing or removing it. Once the filters have expired they are no longer filtering the water anyway and may just be retaining old tastes & odours.

Let us know the feedback from these and we can guide you further.

Best Regards

Wayne

You have to take your hat off the the Gilkatho guys. They keep an eye on the forum and make sure they comment on their products in a constructive way.
    The same is certainly not true of their competitors in the superauto space. When did you last see a comment from anyone at Saeco, Gaggia or Delonghi?
    Good on you, Wayne.

Hi Charlie

I dont know the machine, but the symptoms seems similar to a problem I have just resolved with my Minore II. I tracked it down to brew pressure, which was running at 13 Bars +. When I adjusted this down to 9 Bars -, the pours returned to normal, and taste improved out of sight :) One more variable you might be able to consider :-/

Gary

TC

Quote Originally Posted by flowta link=1189044232/0#3 date=1189066337
    Hi Charlie

I dont know the machine, but the symptoms seems similar to a problem I have just resolved with my Minore II. *I tracked it down to brew pressure, which was running at 13 Bars +. *When I adjusted this down to 9 Bars -, the pours returned to normal, and taste improved out of sight *:) *One more variable you might be able to consider *:-/

Gary

....and this wasnt done as part of a pre-delivery bench test?? :-?

CharlieD

Hi guys,

Wow, thanks for all the advice!

For Wayne, Ill track down a cleaning tablet, and Ill try adjusting the grinder a bit more: I hadnt realised to do it while its in motion and I havent gone through all the settings. At lunch yesterday I spent a while trying the different powder quantity settings, but I could see virtually no difference between the pour on different settings (even between minimum and maximum).

Ill have a go without the water filter too.

Gary the brew pressure being too high is a distinct possibility, especially given adjusting the powder quantity doesnt seem to change much. Not sure what the procedure would be to change that though.

(And the suppliers dont seem to have fixed the brew quality of the machine even though it was away for a week for servicing only a few months ago.) Anyway Ill exhaust other options before getting someone to look at it.

Away from work till Monday so Ill try more of your suggestions then.

Thanks heaps guys,
    Charlie

The brew pressure it is not adjustable (other than design changes at factory level).

Depending upon the age of the unit and its life history it could be that the grinder is simply beyond its useful life. Succesfully trying some preground via the bypass chute would demonstrate if this is the case.

While talking of pre-ground and autos, when grinding coffee for an auto we suggest 1-2 notches coarser than you would for a traditional machine.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Wayne

You could also get the sieve changed in the brewing unit (top piston) to the newer version. It has lots more holes that are smaller than the older sieves.

regards
    Dino

CharlieD

Yummy. I am now sitting with my morning coffee from the Jura and it actually tastes half decent.

I brought in my grinder from home (nothing special: the Breville Bar Aroma burr grinder) and bypassed the grinder in the machine. Got a few seconds of nice dark caramel colour from the spouts, then some lighter but still a lot better looking coffee till the end of the pour. Crema was hazelnut/brown rather than the anemic cream colour the grinder in the machine produces.

Wayne your guess about the state of the grinder sounds likely. I forget the exact number but the internal counter reported the number of coffees produced: 16,000+...

How difficult/costly is it to replace the grinder? We can get the people who supplied it to look at it I guess, but they dont seem particularly competent: theyve never fixed the bad coffee before even though theyve taken it away for up to a fortnight at a time, and the most recent service was only a few months ago.

Cheers,
    Charlie

CharlieD

An update and a plug: thanks to ******************** (machine suppliers), we now have a new grinder in this machine and its working a lot better. Rang on Tuesday, grinder replaced Thursday.

They reckoned it was easier to replace the whole grinder ($374) than replace the worn burrs. I wasnt paying so I didnt investigate cheaper options...

Anyway thanks to you guys and especially Wayne(Gilkatho) for the free and knowledgeable troubleshooting.

Cheers,
    Charlie

P.S. Dino oops forgot to ask about the sieve. Will keep that in my mind for next service.

N.B.
    Non Site-Sponsor plug removed...... Please familiarise yourself with the CoffeeSnobs Sales and Posting Policy,

Mal.

Hi Charlie,
    I am posting on behalf of Wayne he is currently touring the coffee houses of China.. Im not sure if he will have much luck other than the major chains dare I say the name "starbucks".

I am glad the machine is running better now and as always we are happy to assist.

You may now want to adjust the strength and grinder settings on the machine to suit your taste preferences.

Happy drinking.

Melanie
    Gilkatho

Welcome Melanie :)

Mal.