Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robusto

Thread: Vibiemme Super Boiler Refill Not Working

Vibiemme Super Boiler Refill Not Working

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone.

First time poster here, and I have scoured through previous posts trying to find an answer but none are exactly the same issue.

My 10 year old Vibiemme Super HX has stopped autofilling, and if not for having just spent $600 on a service and full descale / scale repair, I would take it to get checked out. But before spending much more on it, I would love to see whether I can find the issue.

When the boiler level is low, nothing at all is happening. No Pump, no clicking of the solenoid just silence.

I have:
    -Tested resistance on the level probe, and cleaned - can see continuity when the probe touches the boiler water, and no continuity when the water level is low or probe is pulled out. So the level probe does not seem to be the issue.
    - Tested and replaced the autofill solenoid coil with a brand new one. Still not the issue (as I said, not actually hearing the click).
    - I have read that sometimes it can be the Gicar controller, and have opened it up to check for any crazy obvious faults, and visually there does not seem to be an issue.

Does anyone know what the best method of testing the controller would be (to narrow it down)?
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or testing I can do to narrow it down?

Everything else works fine, the machine can brew and steam when water level is sufficient.

I could replace with a new controller, but the last thing I want to do is go spend another $300 for a controller, if its not the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Ryan

So if you pull out the probe, or disconnect it from the Gicar controller the pump won't come on?

On a couple of occasions my machine has failed to respond to the Gicar controlled touch pads. Both times I pressed the ribbon cables firmly into the Gicar and everything worked again.

If that doesn't fix it, you may want to open the controller again and trace continuity to the probe and check for swollen capacitors, dry solder joints as two of the usual suspects in circuit boards.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto View Post
    So if you pull out the probe, or disconnect it from the Gicar controller the pump won't come on?
    Thanks for the reply.

So, after work today I took another look.
    I tested the level probe again (strangely now no continuity tested with varying levels of water in the boiler).
    I then removed the probe terminal completely from the Gicar and turned the machine to I - and nothing.

I then realised it might need to sense the tank being full and the tank was on the bench since it was all apart, so I turned it to I AND held down the tank weighted switch - but still nothing.

Attached are photos of the Gicar.
    https://ibb.co/0Q8bqT8
    https://ibb.co/BLhztpg

The only thing that looks remotely unusual is perhaps the top of the black half moon shaped thing at R2 - the top being a little bit wavy and depressed.
    (I know very little about electronics obviously).
    Theres obviously more to it than you may be able to see visually.

Not sure where to next, although it's a bit weird I couldn't get continuity today on the level probe.

The probe will turn on the pump if it's not touching ground. If the probe is out of the boiler, suspended mid air, the pump should come on and remain on until the probe is grounded on something, be it the boiler, chassis or of course, water in the boiler.

That thing to the left of the resistors is a transistor.

You can test them.

Also If you have a magnifying glass, run it over the solder joints and see if any are "dry". A dry joint looks dull compared to the good ones, and will be separated from the component's protruding wire.
    Dimal likes this.