Thread: Isomac Mondiale

Isomac Mondiale

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just thought Id post a quick 30-second review of the Isomac Mondiale. My parents bought one over the weekend to replace a dead Krups. FWIW the ECM Giotto seems to be sold out in Adelaide and no ETA. This was one I recommended to them a while back.

Ergonomics are good. The lever-actuated hot water/steam arms are surprisingly intuitive, moreso than the typical knobs. Not having the Giottos cool-touch wand wasnt really as much of a loss as Id thought. It has both a manometer and temp gauge.

Anyhoo, within a few shots we had it practically perfect - great shots, easy milk foaming and texturing. The fact it took 4 shots was because I was adjusting the grinder in the wrong direction.

I was immediately envious - I thought Id got the Botticelli mastered, but this thing was in another league - much closer to true cafe-quality coffee.

Id be interested if anyone here has compared the Mondiale with the Giotto.

mod edit- fixed all machine names to protect the innocent...kraps was correct though ;) 2mcm

Re: Isomac Mondiale

Cant say I did a direct hands on comparo (I got to play with the Mondiale only and was sold immediately!!)

While the lack of an insulated steam wand initially seemed an important factor in my decision making process, I quickly came to realise this as only a minor set-back as the "joy-stick" controls on the steamer/water were definitely a preferred feature for me (especially when Im making coffee for 10-12 people at a time!) *Funnily enough, Ive only burned myself on the group-head anyway (Owwch! *:-[)

I would also be interested in anyone elses experiences in test-driving both of these back-to-back - while I have absolutely no regrets with the Mondiale, I sometimes wander what coffee making would have been like if I had of chosen differently :)

Cheers,

-A-

Looks like there arent too many people that have played with a Mondiale...

I have the extreme elcheapo of the elcheapos isomac napolissima $125.. fitted a pid to it and havent looked back, its just great, so I would imagine that the upper end isomacs would simply rock my espresso world...

If anyone wants to give me one to test drive for them Im available...

Ray.

Hey Ray C,

Not familiar with your machine, but good to hear that you are getting good coffee from it.

Good luck with the test driving.

DavidR

I have had the Isomac Mondiale for about a month - and it is simply the best machine i have seen or used.

A great deal of reserach pointed me towards Giotto/ Unico etc, but I went with my instincts on the Isomac and absolutley love it.

As you say - consistent excellent shots/ milk like cream in no time/ easy to control temps and serious good looks.

It will take a pretty good machine for me to upgrade from this baby.

jaydee :D

Where would I be able to see one of these in Melbourne??

Dick

Site Sponsor

Dick sorry,

We have not open an store yet in Melbourne but we have a Monidale in our store in Sydney. If you are ever in Sydney I will very happy to demonstrate the machine for you.

Renzo

Hi Renzo,
    I know, I know
    Whatll I do. I must say I am not quit ready to buy, probably in two months and I am tossing up between this machine and the Makin series 2, which looks very good as well. I know I can see this machine in Melbourne, Ive bought all my coffee from Veneziano since the last 2 years. Still, it would be nice to see this machine in Melbourne as well.

Regards,
    Dick

I had the opportunity to "test drive" an Isomac Mondiale on Saturday just gone thanks to a fellow Coffee Snob. This machine exceeded all of my expectations.

The quality of the unit is great, good asthetics, ergonomic and super consistent. We managed to pull about 30 coffees through it in varying forms. The extractions were picture perfect shot after shot and it carried through to the flavour in the cup. I ran three different beans that I was familiar with through the Mondiale and they all performed as they should have.

Texturing was a dream and created silky smooth milk with a minimum of fuss. We really tried to push this machine even to the extent that we were drawing water off the tea spout to see what the recovery was like and the beast didnt even skip a beat.

This is a serious contender in this range and is on my shortlist for a new machine.

Hi Christretto

Thanks for your reply, the more I read about this machine the more I like it.

Was this in Melbourne????

Perth mate...

Awesome machine hey.

Just noticed this thread -- must have been asleep :)

Weve had a Mondiale for about a year now, and very happy with it.
    Havent really pushed it to anywhere near its limits; it always performs
    well and is very easy to use. As Christretto said.

We had a limited opportunity for comparison with Giotto.
    When we bought it (in Adelaide), it was sitting alongside a Giotto
    Premium on the demo bench, so we had shots pulled from each with
    the same coffee and grinder. They were both excellent. This is of course
    a small sample, nothing like a serious comparative test.

When looking at the two machines side by side, what we prefer about the
    M is the drip tray (bigger in volume and surface area); the accessibility of
    the water container; and the toggles instead of knobs for steam and water
    (I wasnt convinced before we bought it, but with use have come to
    much prefer this arrangement). The dual pressure gauge is nice too.

So we have no regrets about this purchase. But in all honesty, I doubt there
    would be much difference in performance between the two.

Ive just started this morning to do some measurements of the brewing
    temp, in order to be able to "time" the cooling flush to get somewhere
    near a desired temp. What Ive seen so far is that the machine favours a
    temp around 93C (favours in the sense it gets there with a reasonably
    short flush, then stays in the 92-93 range, and bounces back quite
    quickly after more flushing). I think that would be regarded as good
    behaviour. Measurements done with a TC calibrated to 100C in boiling
    water, over the lip of the p/f into a double basket packed with al. foil to
    slow the flow a bit and get the t/c near the showerscreen.

TC

Gday Hazbean,

The Mondiale appears to be a great machine and your points are valid- esprcially with respect to the drip tray volumes

I have always wondered if if I was correct in my thoughts that the Mondiale has a stainless steel boiler? Are you able to confirm?

Love to put a mondiale up against a souped up Giotto someday and see how they compare ;)

Chris

Yes, it has a 2.2 litre stainless steel boiler.

"Love to put a mondiale up against a souped up Giotto someday ..."

That would be a very interesting comparison ...

Hi Chris...

It would be good to get a professional opinion of this machine from somebody that stocks a range of different machines. You dont really hear a lot about the Isomacs as I guess not too many people have them, especially the Mondiale.

One thing that I did find is that it was super stable shot quality wise after the second shot pulled. No real need for cooling flushes but I tend to flush the group between shots to clear away any excess grinds etc...

The Mondiale that I played with had 2 different tips, the first one was a little slow but super easy to use and the second one was more like getting steam from a commercial machine. Bigger holes on the second tip and both were 2 hole tips. I thought that using the bigger holed tip would affect the boiler etc, but didnt really phase it that much.

Do you think you will get one to do a side by side anytime soon Chris?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Christretto link=1189389678/15#15 date=1191805637
    Hi Chris...

It would be good to get a professional opinion of this machine from somebody that stocks a range of different machines. *You dont really hear a lot about the Isomacs as I guess not too many people have them, especially the Mondiale.

One thing that I did find is that it was super stable shot quality wise after the second shot pulled. *No real need for cooling flushes but I tend to flush the group between shots to clear away any excess grinds etc...

The Mondiale that I played with had 2 different tips, the first one was a little slow but super easy to use and the second one was more like getting steam from a commercial machine. *Bigger holes on the second tip and both were 2 hole tips. *I thought that using the bigger holed tip would affect the boiler etc, but didnt really phase it that much.

Do you think you will get one to do a side by side anytime soon Chris?
    Gday Chris,

We just need a volunteer Isomac and then we can ;)

Good luck with that...

Hopefully it wont be too far away.

My friend has a Mondiale so I got to spend quite a bit of time playing with it and checking it over before buying my own machine (eventually settling on a Splendor).

A couple of things that put me off are that my friends machine has had a few problems with the steam valve (wouldnt open up properly), and the drip tray seems like it still needs further development (the tray doesnt have enough support when its in place, and its a real fiddle to slot back into place after its been removed).

My friend found the steam tip supplied didnt cut it for him, and he bought an after market tip.

If nothing else the drip tray made me look to another brand/model when I was choosing my own.