Thread: Fault Code for Breville BES980

Fault Code for Breville BES980

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

I bought 2 breville machine on auction, one is the bes980 and the other one is a cheaper model with no grinder but they are basically the same inside.

The bes980 had some leaks at the boiler so I swapped a cable and no more leak. I was very happy until I found out it shuts off after it gets to a certain temperature (temperature sets at 93 but it keeps creeping up until 96-97 and then i have to let it cool down)

After fiddling around I found online how to fetch the fault codes and it came up with fault code 27 and 28. I am not sure what it means and I can't find any information on the codes.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Once the machine is repaired i am more than happy to ship some parts from the other machine if any member needs to repair their machine btw

Cheers

Error 27 : Group head temperature overshot : Group head NTC sense 10deg° over the target temperature : Group head NTC, group head element triac PCB

Error 28 : Communication error : Main/ Panel MCU found the panel/ Main MCU no response-Main/Panel MCU found the checksum of the data transfer not correct : Check software version in service menu (to see whether if the software has been successfully programmed into both side MCU or not), connector between main/panel PCB

Java "The data is out there" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Thanks Javaphile

Error 28 didn't appear after reset the machine but 27 still get triggered.

I tried to change the solenoid but that's not the issue, is changing the whole group head overkill?

What is it about an over temperature alarm that makes you think you should change out the solenoid? Sounds like you should be leaving it to qualified people

The more likely culprit is the group head element triac PCB. That seems to be a common problem due to moisture getting on it from leaking o-rings on the boilers. I'd replace all of them as well as long as you're diving inside.

Java "Do 'em all, o-rings are cheap." phile

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What is it about an over temperature alarm that makes you think you should change out the solenoid? Sounds like you should be leaving it to qualified people
    following some youtube tutorial and i am of course a beginner but you have to start somewhere.
    i bought the two machines for a really cheap price ($50 for both) and it will teach me how to service and repair a coffee machine.
    thanks for the feedback and i wish i could pay for a repairer but most around my area want $200 just to look at the machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    The more likely culprit is the group head element triac PCB. That seems to be a common problem due to moisture getting on it from leaking o-rings on the boilers. I'd replace all of them as well as long as you're diving inside.

Java "Do 'em all, o-rings are cheap." phile
    thanks for your knowledge, i run accross old coffee machine all the time and i used to throw the duds away, and this time i got two nearly identical one with different issues so i thought i'd try to tackle a repairing projects
    i will order a whole bunch of o'rings i think 007 is the size needed.

If it's the same as the 900/920 I think there's 2 different size o-rings. At least that's what I seem to recall reading in their threads. But...never having worked on them it would be a good thing to double check me on that.

These might be helpful to you: https://coffeesnobs.com.au/documenta...-pictures.html

Java "Good luck!" phile

Boy!
    There's a few parts in these babies...
    Just had a quick look through the parts manuals.

Mal.