• 1 Post By roosterben
  • 4 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By EspressoAdventurer
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By roosterben

Thread: Rocket Giotto diagnostic help

Rocket Giotto diagnostic help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Rocket Giotto Premium Plus V2 started tripping the meter box circuit breaker about two weeks ago. I think it is a 2008/2009 model this is the model just before the PID with dual gauges.

So far I have done the following;

1. Tested on multiple circuits including one with no other appliances. Tripped both a 40 Amp and 20 Amp breaker multiple times. The machine started the green light comes on and within 2-3 seconds the machine tripped the power.

2. Pulled the sides of the machine and had a look inside no real evidence of any water leaks and nothing obvious. Then I removed the heating element electrical connectors and taped them off. With the heating element disconnected the machine will power up and not trip the circuit breaker and I hear the PStat click once. Green heating light stays on. I also tested the heating element across the terminals with the machine turned off and unplugged and it read 45 Ohms. Also with the boiler element disconnected using the normal lever will run coffee through the group, although I haven't noticed the auto-fill kick in / run.

So I have a couple of likely scenarios (any ideas welcome);

1. The heater element has a pin-hole fault inside the boiler only showing while powered and is tripping the circuit breaker
    2. The SSR or another part of the brain-box is gone this could be causing a short circuit or ground leakage

Any other suggestions welcome just not sure I want to grab a heating element yet if it could actually be a fault in the brain box. I did read on a few threads that some Rockets from this vintage are often rewired when repaired to prevent brain box issues.

I won't be doing any live testing with 240 volts connected but can anyone suggest anymore off-power testing so I can isolate the problem?

Rooster, assume the heating element runs straight 230V? If so maybe safely connect the element direct to a lead which you the plug into a circuit with RCD. If it heats up all is good, if it trips you have isolated the fault to the element. Assuming you can get a safe, insulated connection to the element.

99% element. 230V and H2O dun like each other :-)
    Dimal and 338 like this.

Thanks gents, hooking up element to 240v bit out of my comfort zone and don't have the equipment to do it safely.

I will order a new heating element and seal.
    Dimal likes this.

If you're in Sydney I'll hook up and test the element for you
    Dimal, Sullo, hawk87 and 1 others like this.

Your local sparky should be able to put his Megger tester on the element for you

l3n is a local sparky...

Mal.

my moneys on a heater element.
    BTW I believe you'll find there is no SSR on these, but a
    Control Box with two PCB's, and that the 230V to the Element and the Sirai Pressurestat
    are routed on the return circuit via the control box. Yes I'm no sparky either!

The Rocket( Giotto's post 2006/7) are fine with the OEM wiring.
    It was the ECM Giotto's circa 2003-2006 that had a mid lifecycle OEM upgrade on the wiring loom.
    And many units here in Aust was retro fitted whenever a unit was in for a service.
    G.L.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the offer Ninja but I am a Gold Coast, Qld local 10 hours drive is a bit far.

Also EspressoAdventurer that is handy as the PStat is activating and the element is being sent power, sounds conclusive enough to place an order for heating element and seal.
    Dimal likes this.

other pros here have said where id be looking, the amount of machines ive had thatve had similar issues and element/seal was the culprit
    I really better get myself certified one of these days
    can I put $5 on element both ways?

Well life can return to normal now, phew! The Giotto is back in delicious coffee production. Thanks for all the tips the heating element was the cause/fault and had a slight leak around the seal when I pulled the machine apart.

Replaced the heating element and seal (and did a quick descale of the boiler and fitted a new anti-vac valve) and after putting humpty-dumpty together again it is now working perfectly. I did fill the boiler first with the element off just to be on the safe side.

Will say something though, small E61 machines are an annoying to work on as the components are so tightly packed. Compared the aircraft hanger like interior of the commercial Boema 1 group I did some work on, the Giotto was more like micro surgery and the fingers and knuckles suffered a bit. Once I get a new pump for the backup machine I will descale and rebuild the E61 group and the Giotto should be good for another 5 years+ without major surgery.
    Jackster likes this.