• 1 Post By ab01ns
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 3 Post By ab01ns
  • 1 Post By Sullo
  • 1 Post By ab01ns

Thread: Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 Rebuild

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 Rebuild

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just picked up a NS Personal 1 a few nights ago for almost nothing ($60) however its not running, and when plugged in, melted the wall plug. this machine is the lesser known little brother of the Mac 2000, very very similar but without volumetric dosing.

I want to go through it and give it a proper strip down and cleaning before putting it back into service. It looks to be in good shape but filthy and filled with pine needles!!

When I plugged it in, before the plug melted, the lights came on and the solenoids clicked, but I didn't hear the pump run so I am a little concerned that the pump may not work.

Last night I tore into the machine, next reply will explain what I found

39797_81479608_2650780994999802_2306126262306865152_o.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    robusto and Sullo like this.

The night I got it home I tried to tear into it so see what might be up with it, but I couldn't figure out how to get the body panels off. I couldn't figure it out and left it for the night.

After lots of squinting at it from me, and my shop mates last night, I figured it out. And boy do I ever feel stupid. The sides are held on with snap in connectors, and PRY off. After that stripping everything else down was relatively easy as you have access to almost all the other body panel bolts. No stuck bolts, nuts, broken pipes or anything. I pulled the element and was shocked to discover the boiler is virtually scale free, as well as the rest of the machine. Some of the smaller pipes have some buildup but nothing a citric acid soak won't fix. I'm still planning on disassembling and cleaning everything as well as soaking the boiler.

My friend Jacob (who designs vaccuum-forming electronics and machines for a living) helped me run through the electrical system to see if the pump worked. We traced all the wires, figured out how the whole system works (it's shockingly simple and surprisingly idiot proof) but it does include one rather large proprietary looking relay. We traced the wires, tested the whole wiring loom for continuity, and tested the switches on the front panel As the machine was apart, we couldn't really run it with the element attached, and didn't have a load to replace the element for testing purposes, so we removed the relay, P-stat, overtemp shutdown and manually jumped the pump motor to the 120V supply. Nothing...

We thought that the pump motor was fried, BUT I put my hand on the motor housing and realized that it was, in fact running. It was so quiet that I couldn't even hear it in a dead quiet shop. Incredible! My thinking now is that electrically the machine is 100% fine, I just didn't hear the pump running and because I was running it off of a cup of water, it wasn't able to self prime. Nothing else, electrically was damaged, except for the old plug. while not 100% sure what caused the plug to melt, we think that it may have been stray conductor or two from the hot side closing the circuit after the machine. I will replace it with an actual Hubbel plug, as opposed to the garbage knockoff that was on there before.

I'm hoping to soak and completely disassemble everything this weekend, polish up all the SS on the machine, order gaskets and put back together next week. Then I need to make a 240V stove plug splitter to get a 20A 120V circuit for the machine, as well as keep the standard plug for the stove, as the 120V circuit in my tiny kitchen is shared with my bedroom and fridge, and this machine draws a full 1500 W so I'm worried about constantly tripping breakers

Enjoy the pics, more to come

Attached Images Attached Images
    robusto, Sullo and Stavros like this.

I polished up all the body panels tonight. The front one is a brushed finished as opposed to the polished finish the rest of them have. I will need to remedy that, looks like a I have some long hours in front of the buffing wheel ahead of me

BangalowBarista likes this.

looks almost the same as the Mac v, I think diff maybe one has volumetric electric doodads and yours have push buttons maybe?
    above the shower screen there's a screw and ill try to find the name of the part but its got three holes and is a bastard to get off, you may need a "tool" for it,
    looking forward to seeing how this one goes
    good luck!

Looks a very solid machine, nicely laid out components. Fascinating about the silent motor.

Good luck ab01ns, and looking forward to the next installment.

It's silent because it's a rotary pump rather than a vibe pump. Notice the monster motor below the boiler in the first pic in post #2.

Java "FYI rotary pumps do not like to be run dry!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Got that Javaphile.

But so has my machine and it is pretty loud. Certainly know when it's on.

Sounds like the pump could maybe use some aligning then to get rid of the vibration/sound or it's showing its years and is making its way to the door.

Java "Has one like that" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullo View Post
    looks almost the same as the Mac v, I think diff maybe one has volumetric electric doodads and yours have push buttons maybe?
    above the shower screen there's a screw and ill try to find the name of the part but its got three holes and is a bastard to get off, you may need a "tool" for it,
    looking forward to seeing how this one goes
    good luck!

Yup the difference seems to be the volumetric stuff and that's about it to me

I've already seen the crazy dispersion plate. Building a tool for it will be easy. I'll probably CNC machine it, and then make it available for others to use. If I have the right piece of material kicking around that is
    Dimal, Sullo and LeroyC like this.

theres a few good threads on restoring these ns machines on HB which I think your already on I found the images of the "tool" one guy made, you might have a better idea but posting them so you know what Im rabbiting on about

i still have to do this to mine, that plates about $65 and only place from memory, I still have to install a new pressure stat on mine but got two other machines i want to finish first once I figure out how to refill the expobars boiler!
    matth3wh likes this.

Reassembled the machine, and it holds pressure, which is great. All electronics work perfectly. Unfortunately it developed a leak from the lower sight glass tube. I tightened the nut maybe a 16th of a turn to fix it, and it didn't even have it that tight originally and then it turned easily. I've done a decent about of flare fittings before so I knew immediately what happened.

Going to call NS today to price out the new pipe. Really wish they used standard flare so I could just make a new line. My brazing skills are acceptable at best but I've never silver soldered steam lines and I have no idea where is even find a replacement nut. Hopefully it won't be too expensive but if it is I have some other avenues to explore
    LeroyC likes this.

Iíve seen one or two of these pop up over the years. I believe they can be very capable little machines when cared for properly and used right.