The night I got it home I tried to tear into it so see what might be up with it, but I couldn't figure out how to get the body panels off. I couldn't figure it out and left it for the night.
After lots of squinting at it from me, and my shop mates last night, I figured it out. And boy do I ever feel stupid. The sides are held on with snap in connectors, and PRY off. After that stripping everything else down was relatively easy as you have access to almost all the other body panel bolts. No stuck bolts, nuts, broken pipes or anything. I pulled the element and was shocked to discover the boiler is virtually scale free, as well as the rest of the machine. Some of the smaller pipes have some buildup but nothing a citric acid soak won't fix. I'm still planning on disassembling and cleaning everything as well as soaking the boiler.
My friend Jacob (who designs vaccuum-forming electronics and machines for a living) helped me run through the electrical system to see if the pump worked. We traced all the wires, figured out how the whole system works (it's shockingly simple and surprisingly idiot proof) but it does include one rather large proprietary looking relay. We traced the wires, tested the whole wiring loom for continuity, and tested the switches on the front panel As the machine was apart, we couldn't really run it with the element attached, and didn't have a load to replace the element for testing purposes, so we removed the relay, P-stat, overtemp shutdown and manually jumped the pump motor to the 120V supply. Nothing...
We thought that the pump motor was fried, BUT I put my hand on the motor housing and realized that it was, in fact running. It was so quiet that I couldn't even hear it in a dead quiet shop. Incredible! My thinking now is that electrically the machine is 100% fine, I just didn't hear the pump running and because I was running it off of a cup of water, it wasn't able to self prime. Nothing else, electrically was damaged, except for the old plug. while not 100% sure what caused the plug to melt, we think that it may have been stray conductor or two from the hot side closing the circuit after the machine. I will replace it with an actual Hubbel plug, as opposed to the garbage knockoff that was on there before.
I'm hoping to soak and completely disassemble everything this weekend, polish up all the SS on the machine, order gaskets and put back together next week. Then I need to make a 240V stove plug splitter to get a 20A 120V circuit for the machine, as well as keep the standard plug for the stove, as the 120V circuit in my tiny kitchen is shared with my bedroom and fridge, and this machine draws a full 1500 W so I'm worried about constantly tripping breakers
Enjoy the pics, more to come