• 5 Post By Xanthine
  • 3 Post By LeroyC
  • 3 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Xanthine
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Boema 1 group manual help

Boema 1 group manual help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    As a change from 6910s I have just acquired a single group manual Bo-ema as my next coffee machine project. The previous owner was under the impression that the (three way) solenoid was faulty and was in the process of replacing it when he ran out of enthusiasm and sold the machine. He got as far as disconnecting the wires from the brew switch before giving up. He indicated that the machine had been in storage for Ďa long timeí as it could not keep up with the demand in his food shop and had been replaced with a 2 group. When he eventually got around to firing it up the solenoid would not work.

When I got it home, a quick check of the solenoid coil with the multi-meter showed it had a DC resistance of close to 1k ohms which probably indicates that the coil is OK. The 3-way should be serviceable with a good clean-out .

Unfortunately I canít test the machine further until I work out where the disconnected leads go on the switch. Iíve searched most of the posts on the CS forum but could not find a photo to help. (All of the early relevant posts wonít load their photos Ė not sure why).

The machine has no labels on it so I can not work out what model it is but have attached some photos

DSCF5928.resized.JPG DSCF5926.resized.JPG DSCF5925.resized.JPG

The five floating wires are -
    Light Blue
    Purple and Brown joined at the connector
    Red (Heavy)
    Dark Blue (heavy

The Lt Blue and Brown wires along with an Earth come from the 3 Way solenoid and are probably switched by one side of the switch

The switch has 4 horizontal spade terminals on the back in a square.

Any info from anyone who has one of these would be much appreciated .

Thanks
    Trev

I'll try remember to check mine tomorrow. Not sure if it has the same colours but I'll trace their locations from the switch terminals to wherever they go.
    Dimal likes this.

Pretty sure that Boema would try and help out too, if you contact them...

Mal.

Mine had volumetrics, but also a manual rocker switch. Looks like the cables were slightly different colours, but hopefully these photos help:

Oriented when looking at the switch from the back:

Light blue - Top right terminal
    Purple and brown - Bottom left
    Heavy red - Top left
    Heavy Blue - Bottom right

IMG_20200310_095329.jpg
    bosco likes this.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help.

@Noidle22
    I look forward to your response .

@Dimal
    A good suggestion. I have heard that the company is very helpful but I thought that I would put out a call here on the CS forum first as I believe that quite a few members have these machines and I am sure I will have to call for more help along the way.

@LeroyC
    I really appreciate the photos of your machine. It’s unfortunate that the wiring seems to be different to mine in this area but yours does match up with a circuit diagram I gleaned from the forum. Every little bit of info helps me to get my head around the overall picture of the workings of these machines.
    The internals of yours certainly look nice and clean – I hope mine will eventually look similar.
    All of the removable panels on mine are already bright and shiny thanks to my good wife who tends to be a little ocd about cleaning and polishing things like this – she can’t wait to have a play with the finished machine as she has taken over the role of barista in the household and always makes a very good coffee. I’m afraid I have been relegate to just being the tech, not that I mind too much!

PS Thanks noidle - just saw your reply which came up while I was typing .
    Dimal likes this.

YAAY! IT’S ALIVE!!!

After wiring the switch to noidle’s instructions I resisted the urge to try it straight away. Instead I unscrewed the safety valve to check that it was operable and also the anti-vac valve got a cleanup. In the process I noticed that the boiler still had water in it so I emptied that using a plastic tube through the safety valve opening and refilled with rain water. After rocking it for a while I repeated the whole process several times before leaving a couple of litres of water in it to cover the heating element just to be on the safe side. I also set the water level probe to about 2/3 by unplugging its lead and using my multi-meter on ohms range to sense the water level
    Then I removed the suction hose and thoroughly washed it out and put the end in a bucket of water.
    Finally it was time to power it up.
    The pump worked, as did the auto-fill, and the heating element clicked on – looking good!
    It did not take long for the water to come to the boil and the anti-vac clicked shut after a bit of hissing.
    I did not take my eyes off the pressure gauge as it steadily rose until I heard a click from the relays as the heater cut out at around 130KPa.
    Then I tried the steam knob and was greeted by a rocket blast from the 4 hole nozzle – I think the boss will need a bigger milk jug!
    Likewise the hot water tap emitted a steaming gusher when opened, not that I plan on using the boiler water in anything.
    Now to flick the big yellow switch but, alas, my run of luck came to an end. The pump ran sweetly but no water from the group head.
    The previous owner had said that he had been told that the 3-way would need replacing so I pulled it off and dis-assembled it but all seemed good. OK, so maybe he meant the brew solenoid so off and apart that came. But no, that seemed OK too.
    Time for some head scratching.
    Thinking there was possibly a blockage I followed all of the pipework around and came to the conclusion that it had to be in the grouphead since the boiler was filling properly.
    I didn’t fancy removing the grouphead at this stage as there were too many connections which would probably leak if disturbed.
    Then I noticed a big screw plug in the top of the grouphead and decided to investigate what was under that.
    Bingo – a little jet totally blocked!

DSCF5930.resized.JPG

A poke with a bristle from the wire brush and then into the ultrasonic cleaner along with its filter and it was ready to replace.
    And this time the big yellow switch produced a nice shower of hot water from under the grouphead.
    Time for the Caffetto treatment and how satisfying it was to see lots of dirty brown water sneezing from the vent pipe.

Now that I knew it was all working, off came the knobs and the front panel which was handed to ‘The Queen of Clean’ to work her magic on and I can get to work cleaning up the internals.

All in all, a satisfying days work!
    Thanks again to noidle22!
    Last edited by Xanthine; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    Dimal, Javaphile, robusto and 2 others like this.

Nice work! Nothing more satisfying than bringing a busted machine back to life.

Boema sell a service kit for this machine. I canít remember how much it costs, but itís not expensive and it includes things like a new group gasket, o-rings for servicing taps, safety and anti vac valve and a new filter for the group jet. Definitely worth asking them about. Even if you donít need it all youíll have a little bag of spares just in case.
    Dimal, Xanthine and ANewbie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Boema sell a service kit for this machine. I can’t remember how much it costs, but it’s not expensive and it includes things like a new group gasket, o-rings for servicing taps, safety and anti vac valve and a new filter for the group jet. Definitely worth asking them about. Even if you don’t need it all you’ll have a little bag of spares just in case.
    Thanks for that info Leroy, I will definitely look into it.

BTW, after a thorough internal clean-up yesterday I have put all of the covers back on and we are ready to see how it goes at making coffee.
    I decided not to do any further dis-assembly at this stage, but will probably do a de-scale once I find a suitable de-scaler and familiarise myself with the best way of going about it. In it's past life I think it was reasonably well looked after and maintained so for now will just concentrate on learning how to use a 'proper' machine.

Trev

If that jet filter was reasonably clean and free of scale then the boiler should be much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Boema sell a service kit for this machine. I can’t remember how much it costs, but it’s not expensive and it includes things like a new group gasket, o-rings for servicing taps, safety and anti vac valve and a new filter for the group jet. Definitely worth asking them about. Even if you don’t need it all you’ll have a little bag of spares just in case.
    Following your suggestion , I made enquiries to Boema and was impressed with their prompt and helpful reply.
    Here is the list of parts in the kit -

BOE.100.1 – Service Kit for 1G Caffe/Deluxe - $40+GST
    1 x EC360-1A - Antivacuum Valve
    1 x EC403-1A - O'ring (Red) CWRH To Non Return
    1 x EG600-first crack - O'ring for Capping Nut - Grouphead
    1 x EG600-1D - Mesh Filter - Grouphead
    1 x EG600-1E - Jet - Boema Grouphead
    1 x EG600-1H - O'ring - Mid Top Group Bell
    1 x EG600-1K - Shower for Grouphead - (Boema)
    1 x EG600-1M - Cup Washer for Grouphead - Conical (Boema
    2 x EG600-1N1 - O'ring - 3 way Solenoid
    They also sent some general servicing instructions and a parts list which was most appreciated.

Yesterday we made the first coffees and all went reasonably well.
    The coffee had a good cremma , possibly better than what we get from the 6910 , but the 4 hole steam nozzle will take a little more practice to master.
    The group handle did not lock in very far and leaked a couple of drops of water. Subsequent inspection of the seal revealed it to be quite hard, as would be expected considering it’s probable age.
    Getting a replacement seal has presented some problems as there seem to be several options and I am unsure which way to go. The seal fitted was a flat black rubber one with the dimensions 66 X 56 X 6 and as I mentioned this would not allow the group handle to engage very far. Judging by the wear pattern on the lugs it has been this way most of it’s working life, as if the seal was too thick. Looking at the Boema parts list there seem to be 2 other options – a round and a conical cross section. I am not sure if these are for different group heads or just options for the standard one and any comments would be appreciated.

The prices for the seals are quite reasonable but unfortunately the cost is nearly doubled when postage costs are added, so I may have to look around for a local source

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    1 x EG600-1M - Cup Washer for Grouphead - Conical (Boema

The coffee had a good cremma , possibly better than what we get from the 6910 , but the 4 hole steam nozzle will take a little more practice to master.
    This part, EG600-1M, suits all Boema group heads. It is the conical seal. Old and perished seals can sometimes appear to be flat.
    Some Boema machines came equipped with E61 groups which is why there are other seals offered. There are also seals to fit very old machines and lever groups.

Depending on how much wear the group and portafilter has, there may be a spacer under the seal as well. Check to see, if there is one there you can just leave it if it hasn't broken.

Boema also sell a 4 hole steam tip with much smaller diameter holes, it's worth buying one of them as well as it makes steaming small amounts of milk in domestic situations a whole lot easier.
    Dimal, Xanthine and ANewbie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    This part, EG600-1M, suits all Boema group heads. It is the conical seal. Old and perished seals can sometimes appear to be flat.
    Some Boema machines came equipped with E61 groups which is why there are other seals offered. There are also seals to fit very old machines and lever groups.

Depending on how much wear the group and portafilter has, there may be a spacer under the seal as well. Check to see, if there is one there you can just leave it if it hasn't broken.

Boema also sell a 4 hole steam tip with much smaller diameter holes, it's worth buying one of them as well as it makes steaming small amounts of milk in domestic situations a whole lot easier.
    Thanks once again for all of the help.

I have already checked for a spacer and there was none. Looking closely at the old seal it is definitely a flat one as there is no sign of impressions caused by the top of the basket and the dimensions are very close to those quoted so I feel confident in saying that someone has previously fitted the wrong one.

grouphead.jpg

Also, that 4 hole tip with the smaller holes may be worth considering although this machine will mainly be used for making multiple coffees when entertaining.

From memory you should be able to fit any female threaded tip to that steam wand. I think itís either M6 or M8, easy enough to work out.

Well, we tried making another coffee today and whilst the foam was a little better, the milk heated too quickly to stretch the foam adequately.
    Following the suggestions from Noidle and Leroy to change the nozzle I headed for the shed in search of a 6910 steam nozzle and a suitable fitting to do a 'gender change' (on the steam wand not me!!!).
    While scrounging through a box of brass fittings I came across a jet of unknown origins (possibly gas burner) and,as luck would have it, it fitted perfectly on the arm. Measuring the jet size with an assortment of small drills suggested it was around 1mm and a closer look at it revealed 1.1 stamped on one of the spanner flats.
    Before trying it I measured the 6910 jet at 1.5mm and the original 5 hole from the Boema as around 1.7mm.

DSCF5936.resized.JPG

A test with some milk had the 1.1mm 'found' jet doing a good job and the chief coffee maker did not want me to drill it out to 1.5mm, at least until it had a few more workouts.
    So, for now it stays as it is easier to remove brass than it is to replace it - who am I to argue?
    I may still look to adapting a 6910 nozzle just to satisfy my curiosity.
    Dimal likes this.

You could block a couple of the steam jet holes with the tip of a toothpick to trial... Im sure a bit of silver solder would be a permanent modification.
    Dimal likes this.