Thread: new machine needed, but which one?

new machine needed, but which one?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

as you can see Im new to the forum, and new to espresso machines :)

Im currently trying to decide between auto or manual. *At this stage Im leaning to manual, hoping it will give better results long term. *Would I be jumping in at the deep end going straight to a manual machine first? I have very little experience, this will all be new to me. *However Im hoping to enjoy a pretty decent latte or cap at home with friends etc....

so.... which autos are worth a look? (if any)

and which manuals? the Giotto Premium seems to be a decent unit as does the Bezzera Domus Galatea, what about the Diadema Unico Splendor? any others?

next Ill need to decide which grinder? so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Im in melbourne and hope to buy off one of the sponers, so will go through the list to see which ones are also in Melb.
    at this stage my budget has gone from $1000 to $2000 and now possibly $3000. *in other words , no set budget(within reason)

I guess I really want a decent quality machine which will last a long time so if I can get that for under 2 grand then great, if not Im happy to spend the extra

Im hoping you can all steer me in the right direction, I look forward to hearing your advice

TC

Re: new machine needed, but which one?

Hi Sako,

We sell all of the machines you have mentioned and have demo models of many of them on our bench...

Come and look and more importantly try. We will spend time exclusively with you, match you with the right machine and provide you with great service and terrific prices.

Drop me a line and we can make a time...

regards

Chris

Definitely a manual machine, as it sounds your gut is telling you, & with your budget you will be able to source a very good commercial grade model. Match it though with a very good grinder to get the best results - both from the bean & machine. Once youre familiarised with your ultimate choice, youll be happy you spent the money.

And as Chris said, try before you buy, and source a supplier that has the skills to give you good barista basics that you can work from & hone - if youre spending that sort of dosh, you need to be skilled & confident behind the machine.

Good luck!

p.s. make sure your machinery will fit wherever youve got it planned to sit - get dimensions, & measure up!

Hi Sako,

Check out TheCoffeeBaruns Minore / Mazzer package in Coffee Hardware For Sale.
    Looks like a good deal on a quality HX machine and grinder - if you want to spend this sort of money. Depends how much you can justify spending and what type and quality machine would suit your needs.

2 things every CS will tell you - definitely a manual (much better results with less problems) and essential to match the machine with a quality grinder.

Good luck and have fun.

Welcome Sako,

We went through this too! Suggest you go and see Chris at Talk coffee. He was fantastic to us and we havent even met him face to face. (We bought over the phone as we are in Roxby Downs!) Lovely man. Cant recommend him highly enough! ;D

Thanks to Chris!! Looking foward to getting our machine any day!

We bought a VBM and Macap Grinder. Cant tell you how it works yet, but everyone on here was very helpful!!

Jaselin

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like which ever decent quality manual machine I get Ill be happy with, after a bit of practice

Chris, Ill be calling you next week to arrange a time to check out what you have on offer

Hi Chris,

any idea when the ECM Giotto will be back in stocks?

thanks

TC

Quote Originally Posted by sako link=1190445548/0#6 date=1193564413
    Hi Chris,

any idea when the ECM Giotto will be back in stocks?

thanks
    Hi Sako,

In the words of ECA, many, many months.

Honestly, Id be very surprised if we see more prior to March...

Chris

thanks for the info, hopefully I can resist the temptation of buying one before then.

what other machines would you suggest looking at? I was hoping to buy one by christmas, but will wait if the Giotto is the pick of the bunch

Vibiemme seems to be the flavour of the month on this forum right now, but I wouldnt swap my Expobar Minore II for one.

They are all as good as each other at that price range, sako, you just have to know how to use them.

sako,

I have a Minore II with a Macap M5 grinder, and enjoy the combo immensely.

Another machine you might consider looking at is the David Makin Maver.

Brett.

Expobar II ;D

Hi sako and welcome aboard.

I have the giotto and am happy, fatboy is pleased with his minore and we could go on ad infinitim. After all is said and done, at this price range your decision might just come down to something as simple as how comfortable you feel with the handles on one particular machine when compared to another.

I suggest you take up the offer Chris (talk coffee) has made, even if you have to fly there! I know he will listen to you and having done so, will only recommend a machine that suits your specific needs. It will be well worth the experience (and undoubtedly savings) to compare the machines side-by- side!

(This has been an unsolicited and unpaid commercial) ;D

I just ordered a David Makin Signature Series II from Chris in Melbourne, picking it up next Monday.
    Looking forward to this, will have the whole Melbourne Cup day to play around with this new toy!
    Ill let you know how I am getting on with this!!

dickwyn

For under $2k, my own opinion is that youll probably have to compromise somewhere. Youll get an E61 group head on a single boiler, which is fine if you dont have milk, or something like an Ascaso or Rancilio either side of that - the Silvia is cheaper but has no E61 (lower temperature stability), the Ascaso also doesnt have an E61 group head, but is more expensive and user friendly, having a seperate thermoblock which lets you steam and coffee at the same time. (Just re-read your post, go for a heat exchanger!).

Personally, while I know there are good autos on the market, Id stay away from them. In the UK I sold Gaggia, Krups and Jura, and the Jura ones were the best of a bad bunch - in the end we gave up as there were so many returns. Any of the site sponsors will look after you, and most sell a very wide range. I went for a manual in the end as a new drinker - the Bezzera Domus Galatea as I felt it had better build quality than the Minore II and I preferred the steam arm taps on it to the VBM. I didnt try the Makin, but there seem to be recommendations for it here, so its worth investigating too! You may want to ask the sponsors about ECM Giotto stock - its a much loved machine and there never seem to be as many for sale as there are buyers. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1189435132 sums up a lot of the positives and negatives about each one.

If I can help you with anything, drop me a PM. Any of the HX or dual boiler machines wouldve done me - Im sure youll be happy with whatever you get.

John

thanks for the help :)

Im keen on the Giotto, but no one has them in stock locally to compare side by side with the other machines you mentioned.

its a tough decision, but I think which ever machine I end up with I will be happy as long as I can learn how to use it.

I also need to decide on a grinder to go along side my machine, so it should all make a nice christmas present :)

I think youll be hard-pressed to find them anywhere, never mind locally!