Thread: VBM hot water taste

VBM hot water taste

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

The water which comes out of the VBM hot water spout has a "taste" about it. You get a hint of it with plain water that comes out of the group head, but its nowhere near as noticeable and it doesnt impact my espressos.

Is it just because the machine is new? Or is the water, or something in it, reacting with the heat?

Re: VBM hot water taste

I spoke with Ofra at Di Bartoli and she suggested to give it a good flush and to make that part of normal routine. She also suggested to use filtered water like a Britta system, which I had already started to use. It is now better than it was with just a hint of the taste still remaining.

Id still be interested to hear if others with a dedicated hot water sport have noticed similar?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by lyds link=1194936593/0#1 date=1195169364
    I spoke with Ofra at Di Bartoli and she suggested to give it a good flush and to make that part of normal routine. She also suggested to use filtered water like a Britta system, which I had already started to use. It is now better than it was with just a hint of the taste still remaining.

Id still be interested to hear if others with a dedicated hot water sport have noticed similar?
    Hi Lyds,

Unless youre turning good volumes of water over each day, some metal taint is a given. Given a 2.7L boiler, you effectively have about 1.3L of water sitting hot in a metal container all the time whilst the machine is on. Its impossible for there not to be some leaching of metal ions into the water...

Filtered, softened water is a very desirable thing in any machine. Just dont forget to replace the cartridges in your jug as per the instructions.

Chris

Havent noticed any taste in mine, but thats a relative thing to Auckland tap water... (I filter it to go through the boiler though)