Thread: Help Me Choose: Makin, Domus Galatea, Minore II

Help Me Choose: Makin, Domus Galatea, Minore II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

Im a complete newbie here, but you guys sure seem to know your stuff. Im hoping you can help me choose a new machine.

Ive got a plain old Breville 800es machine now. It makes an ok flat white, but its so sloooooow. I want to upgrade. Im new to using a top-line espresso machine but Im sure Ill get the hang of it.

With help from Chris at Talk Coffee, Ive narrowed down my search to three.

David Makin Signature
    Bezerra Domus Galatea
    Expobar Minore II

My constraints are bench space and its mostly the width thats the problem. Also, I need a machine thats relatively easy to learn for a newbie. I think Im going to have trouble learning to froth milk in less than (my current) 2 minutes. Also, Im after a quality build. I dont buy stuff that aint made well.

Any ideas guys?

Paul

Re: Help Me Choose: Makin, Domus Galatea, Minore I

Did you figure in Diadema as well?

Very well built machines. Chris sells them too.

TC

Hi Paul,

I agree that you could look at Diadema as well. They are not too wide and perform beautifully.

The Bezzera does have quite a wide footprint so might not work for you.

Have you considered the VBM Domobar super lever? Its relatively narrow, but fairly deep. Its also a great machine.

Good luck in your search...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1195081994/0#2 date=1195082463
    Hi Paul,

I agree that you could look at Diadema as well. They are not too wide and perform beautifully.

The Bezzera does have quite a wide footprint so might not work for you.

Have you considered the VBM Domobar super lever? Its relatively narrow, but fairly deep. Its also a great machine.

Good luck in your search...

Chris
    Thanks Chris,

The VBM will just simply be too big (depthwise). The Diadema seem to be good machines, but the unico splendor seems to be the only one with a ball joint steamer wand (I could be wrong there) and I havent seen one in the flesh and its a bit too flashy for my taste...I might be able to overcome that though ;)

Ive seen the Minore Brewtus and the David Makin in action and there doesnt seem to be much between them. Both produced the best flat white Ive had in a long time :)

Quote Originally Posted by Meaty0 link=1195081994/0#3 date=1195085142

Ive seen the Minore Brewtus and the David Makin in action and there doesnt seem to be much between them. Both produced the best flat white Ive had in a long time :)
    I dont have any experience with the machines youre looking at, but Id suggest that any of the ones youre considering would have produced much the same result. Barista skill is always one of the biggest factors, and in-cup performance from any of those would be quite similar under the hand of the same barista. Their differences primarily lie with size and aesthetics as youve noted.

Greg

TC

And the winner was.....*drum roll*

MAKIN 8-)

Yes Chris. Thanks very much for your help. You answered all my questions and probably will answer a whole lot more.

I saw the machine and tried it out up here in Brisbane, but you were still more helpful than the people who demonstrated...so I dont feel too guilty at all. Its a great machine as you said and certainly seems well put-together.

Ill let everyone know how I go as my skills develop more.

Just a little follow-up on the Makin Signature.

While I havent perfected the milk texturing yet, this machine makes coffee that tastes ten times better than what was coming out of my old thermoblock machine. In fact my wife was convinced Id used different coffee!

I had a small glitch with an o-ring seal on the steam wand, but that seems OK now. Other than that the machine performs flawlessly.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Meaty0 link=1195081994/0#7 date=1196393805
    Just a little follow-up on the Makin Signature.

While I havent perfected the milk texturing yet, this machine makes coffee that tastes ten times better than what was coming out of my old thermoblock machine. *In fact my wife was convinced Id used different coffee!

I had a small glitch with an o-ring seal on the steam wand, but that seems OK now. *Other than that the machine performs flawlessly.
    Great to hear that all is well Paul and you are heading towards god shot heaven!

I am not crazy on the porting of the holes in the wand on that and a multitude of otherwise great machines that use similar tips. I *think* that the design suits seafoam Italian cappuccino and not much else- so you gotta work em...

If the learning curve is too steep, have a jeweller silver solder it (check its cadmium free ;)) and then re-drill the existing holes at 1.2-1.5mm and approx 15 deg. from the vertical. You will then replicate the Giotto wand which IMHO is the best prosumer wand bar none...

Chris

Well I know it works Chris. An "expert" just did a beaut job of stretching the milk using the Makin wand. She did comment though that it was a little difficult to get used to.

Does the Giotto tip fit the Makin machine?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Meaty0 link=1195081994/0#9 date=1196586229
    Well I know it works Chris. *An "expert" just did a beaut job of stretching the milk using the Makin wand. *She did comment though that it was a little difficult to get used to.

Does the Giotto tip fit the Makin machine?
    Hi Paul,

I regret that the Giotto tip will not fit as its a boy and the makin is a girl- apart from some other differences. Luca has told me Coffeeparts 2 hole will fit but the overall diameter is less and the holes are tiny = slooooooow..

Make a whirlpool and listen for good sounds. If its screaming, the tip is too far in the milk...keep the jug vertical as well. The guidelines in the notes I have sent will work if you follow them ;)

Good luck.

Chris