Thread: domus dumping water

domus dumping water

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My Bezzera Domus Galatea seems to dump a fair amount (100ml?) of water with each extraction

This is not a complaint, just an observation, and Ive spoke already to the di bartoli, and they have been very helpful

I was just wondering if others who own the same machine have experienced the same phenomenon?

I tend to up-dose, and Ive tried down-dosing, and this does seem to make a difference.

Just curious, thats all!

Cheers,

Pat

Re: domus dumping water

100 ml sonds alot how old is your machine?

new, but i do tend to up-dose which places additional pressure on the over pressure valve

Yeah, I updose too and it dumps massively. Pretty much a brand new machine. Just started doing (long) cooling flushes with it and had a couple of the nicest shots Ive ever had.

yeah Ive got no complaints about the taste in the cup whatsoever - Ive been producing some of the best tasting shots of my life at home - which is something I thought Id need a much more commercial-grade machine to do

at the moment Im enjoying some cuban coffee - yum yum!

I agree, but the machine puts more water through the OPV than the portafilter. I guess Ill find out if Im doing something wrong in a few weeks, or even today when I hit DB for some more beans. I just feel like I shouldve had it plumbed in, the amount it drinks.

Then again, it could just be an aquaholic.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Identity link=1195557291/0#5 date=1195602843
    I agree, but the machine puts more water through the OPV than the portafilter. I guess Ill find out if Im doing something wrong in a few weeks, or even today when I hit DB for some more beans. I just feel like I shouldve had it plumbed in, the amount it drinks.

Then again, it could just be an aquaholic.
    I think that you should get the machine checked over. I have not seen this type of behaviour in the Galatea machines which I have sold via Talk Coffee.

Not sure if this may be OPV related. In my experience, these ship at up to 12 bar at the group head ex. factory. We adjust ours to 9.5 bar (assuming the loss of around 0.5 bar as the pump beds in) as part of our pre-deliver bench test and health check.

Best safe rather than sorry IMHO....

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Might well be worth bringing in. I suspect that its more sensitive to tamp pressure than some of the other HX machines, but I may just be tamping too hard. So many variables to control :(

is this (changing the OPV) something that can easily be done to the machine?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1195557291/0#8 date=1195626364
    is this (changing the OPV) something that can easily be done to the machine?
    Yes Pat,

No need to change the OPV though. It just requires adjustment using a PF pressure gauge. It take perhaps 2 minutes with a VBM- but its fiddly with a Galatea and takes more like 30 min. Nevertheless, is something we do to all machines as part of our bench test. Im happy to have a look at it if your supplier consents...

Chris

(on a side note, I have decided to ditch the Mazzer mini at home and go all the way to a K10 WBC *8-))

Hey Pat,

another side-note is that the if you dose like me, you up-dose as much as will fit. Chris I think you advocated lower dosing somewhere else, which is why I mentioned it above. If I can get the tamp right for this then Ill give it a go.

Bear in mind that we may also be overstating it - hard to know when we dont have easy comparison.

I did do some tests where I measured the amount of water ending up in the tray with single extractions:

With a slow 20ml extraction over 40 seconds I ended up with 200mls of water in the drip tray (cooling flush not included)

And with a 20ml extraction over 30 seconds I ended up with 150mls of water in the drip tray (cooling flush not included)

I repeated these results several times and they were fairly consistent, although they improved somewhat when I adjusted the grind and tried down-dosing

The resulting coffee was still great to drink, but I prefer the results from up-dosing

Cheers,

Pat

PS - Wow, Chris - a K10 at home... no one can say that youre not serious about your coffee! BTW the K10 at my work hasnt missed a beat and is still producing amazing coffee!

Isnt water dumping at those amounts quite normal?

Im pretty sure I would get that much if i pulled the return pipe from the tank and measured it while pulling a 20ml/40sec extraction with the OPV at a lowish setting on my VBM.

Maybe your supplier set your OPV around 9 bar and its now closer to 8.5 due to wear on the pump? Pulling a 20ml/40sec shot at 8.5 would return ALOT of water.

If you are likely to always pull ristretto like shots then you *may* benefit from increasing your OPV a tad. (At the very least it would mean less dumped water. I would have it checked first though with a PF pressure gauge, just to be sure).

Would it be hard to divert the OPV valve back to the water tank like the VBM does? I find this is more convenient and you have to fill the tank and empty the drip tray alot less.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme5k link=1195557291/0#12 date=1195700760
    Would it be hard to divert the OPV valve back to the water tank like the VBM does? I find this is more convenient and you have to fill the tank and empty the drip tray alot less.
    Good idea John 8-),

This would be my pick of the solutions on offer and "should" be easy enough to do. If you dont have enough silicone tubing for the job, its easy and cheap enough to get hold of from CoffeeParts. Most manufacturers of domestic machines do this as the return water is still cold and unheated.... Go for it AtCG :),

Mal.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by itsme5k link=1195557291/0#12 date=1195700760
    ...Would it be hard to divert the OPV valve back to the water tank like the VBM does? I find this is more convenient and you have to fill the tank and empty the drip tray alot less.

John.
    I think that diverting the opv on a Galatea will be fiddly as the tank in it is Giotto style- i.e. rather than hoses, it slides directly into a fitting and water is taken from the bottom.

I must correct myself for an earlier post- I thought that the release was occurring through the 3-way valve... :-[

Check the pressure if you like- but its probably best just to enjoy your machine...They really are superb!

2mcm

I agree its a great machine and it makes excellent coffee for the home environment - I would be wary of making any modifications that might void the warrentee.

And Im not too fused about the water dumping for home use.

My main concern is that Im doing a fund raiser for the local Catholic primary school tomorrow, and I dont want to be emptying my drip tray every two minutes!

But nor do I want to do anything which might interfere with the fantastic quality of the coffee Im drinking at home at the moment - unless it is authorised and sanctioned by the supplier.

So I guess I will udjust my grind and down-dose on the day, inbetween indicating how the punters should fill out their preferences!

I also wanted to know if the water dumping was unique to my machine or not - but it seems to be a common trait among other domus users.

Oh well... at least Im not alone!

Cheers,

Pat

Pat,
    I know it wont help you as the event is already over, but for the next one (if there is a next one) it dosent look too hard to just slide some silicon tubing over the OPV return (that the water comes out of during the shot) and just run it into a bucket or bottle or to the ground under the machine.

That way you are not doing anything to void the warranty and means you will not have to empty the drip tray anywhere near as much.
    You will still need to fill the tank quite often tho...
    The only downside is the driptray will get black and sticky alot quicker than if it had all that fresh water every shot.

John.

Good advice john - didnt think of that!

In any event the gig was a success with lots of compliments about the coffee. I managed to avoid excessive water dumping by down-dosing the shots, and I used a double shot as standard in order to compensate for any resulting loss in flavour.

Even so, had to constantly monitor the grind (yay to Melbournes variable weather conditions!) - and I noticed that the shots tended to blond a lot quicker than when up-dosing, which meant cutting the extraction short.

Still, I enjoyed making the coffee and had my little family to help me, even my 19 month old was handing me cups!

And the machine performed like a trouper - my only comment in relation to same relates to my own oversight: I forgot to bring the kettle along, and used the machines hot water for making cups of tea (although not many of them) - and this tended to drop the pressure on the machine considerably, forcing me to re-run a couple of shots

But on the up side I got to serve Kate Cebrano, and she seemed to enjoy the coffee - so all was not in vain!

Cheers and thanks for the feedback,

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1195557291/15#17 date=1195908838
    But on the up side I got to serve Kate Cebrano, and she seemed to enjoy the coffee
    Be still my beating heart.

If only I could say such a thing.

Yep - shes still hot after all these years...

I actually reminded her of a time when I served her once when I was working in the bar of the food court of the grand hyatt, melbourne, in the late 80s

She walked up to the bar, looking stunning as ever, she took my breath away - I took a small step backwards, stepped on a champagne cork, and fell flat on my back!

I got up, brushed myself off and said: "Do you often have this effect on men?"

To which she replied: "Yes, all the time, actually!"

P

;D