Thread: Maver Marte/Makin Espresso Review

Maver Marte/Makin Espresso Review

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

I think that its rather poor form to review stuff that you sell and for this very reason I have hitherto kept my mouth shut about my machine online. *However, judging by the number of people that contact me privately, there is quite a bit of demand for some information about this relatively unknown machine. *So to keep myself from telling people the same thing over and over again, I have posted a review here. *

Writing the review was an exercise in frustration. *Ultimately I decided to take the path of trying to describe the machine and its performance rather than trying to evaluate it. Because of this yall should be warned that it is a bit of a monster read, and poorly edited, but I hope that the determined reader will gain some insights from it without having me shove my opinion in their face.

I am still very happy to answer questions via PM, but I hope that this review cuts down the need to do so.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Maver Marte/Makin Espresso Review

Good on you Luca, this was very helpful. Texturing milk goes a lot better as well!!

Thanks a lot and regards,

Dick

Hi Luca,
    I enjoyed reading about this machine. Thankyou for making this review available to us all.
    Can you please tell me if the Maver Marte achieves its thermostability (and resultant need for only a minor cooling flush) via the use of a thermosyphon restrictor....or is the thermostability tuning designed into the machine made to the length of the groups water inlet pipe?

Thanks,
    Paolo.

Hi Luca,
    After owning a Saeco Via Venezia for 8 or 10 years now and its probably made more great coffees than it was designed to create, my taste in the last ten months has gone to latte and its time to move on. I have been seriously looking at the Makin Espresso machine but had could not speak to anyone who owned one. I would like to thank you for your very honest article. It has shortened the odds of the purchase enormously.

Regards,
    Peter

Hi, Luca!

I already thanked you for the review, its great and I guess thats why I bought the machine in the first place. I have a question now. I have been using the machine for about 6 months now and all is generally good. I didnt really try to mess with the settings in any way. I do cooling flushes as you would normally do with HX. However, I started to suspect the machine may still run a bit hot at times, for some blends at least, that perhaps are less tolerant to the higher temperature (?)...
    What are my concerns.
    First, I noticed that some blends tasted differently in a cafe where I bought them and at home - they are more pleasant in cafe, with some bitter notes appearing at home. And it doesnt matter how long I cool flush the machine or how coarse (in acceptable limits) I grind.
    Second, the pressure gauge on the right top is showing just a bit more than 10bar when the extraction is going after the pre-infusion stage.
    I am not sure after all whether there is a problem, whether its temperature...
    what I do now I just stay away from the blends that didnt work with few tries and stick to those that work (and by the way Veneziano ones are fine as I said in the other post ;-)

Sorry for the long post.. however, where is this "hole for the pressure adjustment" you were talking about in the review and should I be messing with it anyway, realistically?

Thanks
    Ed

Ed

Another variable in moving from cafe to home is the water.
    We have moved to a rural property and the difference in coffee flavours from town water to rain water is astonishing.

Gavin

Hi Ed,

1. The hole for adjusting the pressurestat sits under the cup warming tray. Look on the right-hand side of the machine, near some of the bolts that hold the chassis together. There might be a yellow plastic cover for it that you need to remove. I think that all of the production versions of the machine with the pstat hole also have a metal bracket inside them with another hole in it; the engineers put that there to guide the screwdriver into the pstat adjustment slot. When adjusting the pstat, be sure to (a) unplug the machine; use an electricians screwdriver if you have one, (b) make small adjustments; 10-15 degrees for a 0.1 bar change, from memory and (c) dont adjust beyond reasonable boundaries, as this may destroy the pstat. Machine manufacturers usually warn against adjusting pstats, perhaps because of a little fear of liability if something goes wrong and perhaps because they are somewhat fragile. I have adjusted mine maybe 20 or 30 times and it seems to be holding strong. Presumably adjusting it a bit will make it die sooner. I dont adjust it much these days; Im currently sitting with 1.2 bar at the top of the cycle, although, come to think of it, now that it is freeeeeezing it might be worth bringing it back up to 1.25 or 1.3. Naturally, adjustments are at your own risk.

2. I got a chance to run my machine through its paces using a Scace device a few months ago and the results were pretty interesting. You need to flush quite a bit of water to drop the brew temperature by a degree. However, the temperature was about a degree or a degree and a half lower if I pulled one Scace shot immediately after another. Given those results, I just punched a very small hole through the bottom of a blind filter and use this "pressurised" filter to pull a 20 or 30 second blank shot immediately before brewing (ie. while Im dosing). You can call this the Luca device ;P I am yet to test that with the Scace to confirm that it works as I presume, though. Given that the Maver has a small boiler, I cant see why the same wouldnt apply to most prosumer e61s.

3. Note that if you pull a few shots in sequence, they will get a little hotter as the series progresses. This isnt peculiar to the Makin; I have observed it on a few machines with the Scace and I think that it will apply to all prosumer e61s. I seem to remember some advertising that the VBM has a heavier head than standard. If that is the case, I suspect that this effect might be even greater on the VBM, particularly if the space in the head occupied by the thermosyphon is similar. This phenomenon is also one reason why I wasnt particularly fussed about getting a HX instead of a dual boiler e61.

4. I should also reiterate that all of the above will only really be of use to you if you have already checked out all of the likely suspects, such as cleanliness of the group, age of the beans, etc. Temperature is usually the last concern.

5. I find that the best way to reduce bitterness is usually to make the shots flow a little faster.

6. Unfortunately, theres just no magic temperature for all beans. e61s seem to me to give less clarity of flavour than a saturated group, so I suspect that that makes it a bit more difficult to tell if you are off, but, nonetheless, different blends will have different optimum brew temperatures, period. In general, I find that light roasts and washed coffees require a higher temperature than dark roasts and pulped naturals. To tell you the truth, I have been avoiding naturals for about a year, so I cant really make much comment about them. In theory, you would probably ideally want to run Veneziano Estate a bit cooler than St Ali Chompy. In practice, the majority of blends taste fine on an e61 at a reasonable temperature, but there are always exceptions.

7. Cooling flush wise, I usually just run the pump for about two or three seconds.

8. Brew pressure wise, there are a few possibilities. One is that your machine might have been set a bit higher to take into account the fact that the pumps usually settle in a bit after a few months of use and, for whatever reason, your pump hasnt done that. The second is that the gauge might be a bit off. If you read up some of the writings on brew pressure experimentation, the boffins usually comment that the standard espresso machine pressure gauges arent exactly precision instruments. Either way, it cant hurt to lower your brew pressure a bar or so. David Schomer, for example, likes to brew around 8 bar. Again, adjustments are at your own risk, so if you arent confident, dont do it or get a tech to do it.

Hope something there helps,

Luca

FYI; still using the stock steam tip and I still find it kind of wierd ;P

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1196077556/0#6 date=1216821343
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the comprehensive response, Luca! I might try doing some adjustments some day. However, now having read through few articles and posts here, I dont even know if I have to bother. I mean the brew temperature set on the machine can not suit all possible roasts anyway. Id like to know what the exact temperature on my machine is at any particular moment, but to be honest, I am pretty satisfied that my shot from St.Ali espresso blend, for example, tastes not too dissimilar from the one I buy at BBB. So I guess its good enough. Cant check Veneziano Estate, unfortunately, as I cant really get to First Pour that often ;-)

As for the stock steam wand tip. I think I got used to it after all, I think its perfect now ;-) You were right, its a bit of practice when going from one machine to another and its all good. Cant get it to work with Unhomogenised milk though... decided not to bother with that one either.

Thanks again

Thanks heaps for all the work you put into that review Luca!