Thread: Portafilter positioning on Maver Makin

Portafilter positioning on Maver Makin

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

We just picked up our Maver this morning from Chris.

One odd thing we noticed is that the portafilter sits at about 7 oclock when locked in. Is this a common thing or is it just our machine?

It seems abit funny as the double spout doesnt line up properly,which means the cups have to be put at a diagonal.....

-Suzanne

TC

Re: Portafilter positioning on Maver Makin

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#0 date=1196492131
    Hi everyone,

We just picked up our Maver this morning from Chris.

One odd thing we noticed is that the portafilter sits at about 7 oclock when locked in. Is this a common thing or is it just our machine?

It seems abit funny as the double spout doesnt line up properly,which means the cups have to be put at a diagonal.....

-Suzanne
    Hi Suzanne,

It is typical with the Maver. I suspect that the gasket is 8.5mm. The gasket will wear in a little.

See how you go. It can be replaced with an 8mm gasket...

Enjoy!

Chris

Perhaps we could try machining the edges down a little so it slides in more.....well see how we go with the wearing in bit.

When were pulling a shot,we notice that the drip tray starts to vibrate outwards.... anyone can recommend a fix for this?

Noooooooooooooo! Dont machine anything! I bought mine from Chris about a ten days ago too. I also noticed that the PF doesnt rotate into position and assumed it was to allow for wear.

It has a beneficial side effect though. If you moved the portafilter handle all the way around and the cups were "side-by-side" instead of diagonal, the RIGHT cup would get in the way of the lever. Or when you operated the lever, youd end up hitting the cup with your hand.

Just leave it like it is and enjoy the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#2 date=1196580830
    When were pulling a shot,we notice that the drip tray starts to vibrate outwards.... anyone can recommend a fix for this?

Ooooo....I had this problem too. I just folded a small piece of kitchen paper in half and put it on the side of the drip tray as I slid it back in. It tightened it up nicely.

meatyO, thanks for the tip. I shall try out the kitchen paper mod 2moro....

i only have a gaggia carezza so im prob not one to say...BUT i would be a little unhappy if i spent 2.5K and had a drip tray that needed paper towels to stay in place!

my second crack

aaron

wow...interesting. Ive never seen a drip tray vibrate out on the Makins before. I will definitely have to check this up. Ill make sure I tell David Makin tomorrow. "Dave....you have a vibrator in your drip tray....I mean vibrating drip tray" :D

Machine a pf?? I so wouldnt if I were you! Its easier to change a $2 gasket than it is to get the portafilter to sit right when:

a) the seal wears in and it locks in too far to the right causing the shower screen to come in to the portafilter even more....essentially dropping the shower screen lower on an already low shower screen.
    b) change the seal to a smaller one and again...locks in too far to the right....

then after all that you will:

a) need a new portafilter...much more $$ than a gasket ever will be
    b) drop in a spacer under the gasket so the p/f sits in the correct position which is:
    (i) a pain in the ass (easy to do...just unnecessary)

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1196492131/0#6 date=1196820502
    BUT i would be a little unhappy if i spent 2.5K and had a drip tray that needed paper towels to stay in place!
    Aaron, I work and train on a $17,000 La Marzocco FB80 espresso machine every day at work...and even then there are short comings with the machine! So I wouldnt be too stressed about a drip tray.

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#2 date=1196580830
    Take a trip to your local Safeway and go down the cookware isle. There are small square rubber mats which will hold anything in place! Theyre next to tongs and measuring spoons, tea towels etc.. They come in a mixed size pack of blue and black and look like interwoven pieces of string or something...so you can see lots of holes through it.

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#0 date=1196492131
    Hi LG!

I noticed that aswell with my Unico Splendor! I was quite surprised to see that the PF doesnt lock all the way in.

I was just going to ring Chris about this, and I came across this thread and it answered my question.

-Linda

Hi all,

I had been hoping to have my machine to take a look at before chiming in here, but there have been shenanigans with the delivery company ...

Regarding the portafilters stopping at 7 rather than 6, I would suggest doing a few detergent backflushes and seeing if that helps things. Maybe start off just with water. I know that with my machine I often notice that after backflushing I can get my portafilter over to 5 or maybe even 4:30! I dont know whats happening there, but presumably the gasket is softening up. It might be that the gasket has been chosen so that you wont have the PF going over too far after everything has worn in. Or, maybe when the factory upgraded the PFs they also needed to change the gaskets. Ill email Dave and let him sort it out ;P

Regarding the drip tray, have people checked the feet to see if they are level? Sounds silly, but I cant remember if the feet are adjustable or not - I dont make a habit of looking at them!

Aaron, I work and train on a $17,000 La Marzocco FB80 espresso machine every day at work...and even then there are short comings with the machine! So I wouldnt be too stressed about a drip tray.
    I think that the "hattori hanso" drip tray on the Synesso is a bit more of a worry!

Cheers,

Luca

The PF handle on my Mondiale started at around 7 oclock position when new (around 9 months ago) and has gradually worked its way to where it is now (about 5.30). *Ill probably look to replacing the gasket in about three months for preventative maintenance.

Hey Maccas Chicka- you got a new machine (nice choice BTW!) *From one ex-Saeco Super-auto Owner to another... I bet youre kicking yourself for not doing it sooner *;) *Hope youre having a blast *:)

-A-

Well, the kitchen paper mod works like a dream... no more vibrating drip tray !!

Pretty used to the PF locking in at 7 oclock. Like everyone says, it will wear in time.

Were finding that steaming milk is abit tricky with this machine. It seems easier to get microfoam from full fat milk instead of low fat. Not sure if summer has anything to do with the milk texture. Tried following Lucas instructions on his blog but its still under practice. Anyone with suggestions? ( jug positioning, steam tip positioning etc )

Other than that, very happy with the maver. Its on a timer at 5.30am so we get our morning coffee and switches off at 9am, then on again at 6pm till 10pm for a night cap ;)

Quote Originally Posted by -Alchemist- link=1196492131/0#10 date=1197371771
    Hey Maccas Chicka- you got a new machine (nice choice BTW!) *From one ex-Saeco Super-auto Owner to another... I bet youre kicking yourself for not doing it sooner *;) *Hope youre having a blast *:)
    -A-
    Hey Alchemist!

I was leaning towards getting new machine soon anyways....This one sort of came at the right moment! ;)

Besides my Saeco started having steam problems and leaking from the steamer, again, when it started to extract. I am $170 less richer because of it and I had just about enough of its problems, to decide on getting a new machine.

A blast? I am over the moon with it. *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

-Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#11 date=1197431599
    hen on again at 6pm till 10pm for a night cap ;)
    hehe a nightcap.. I thought they were meant to help you sleep? Cant say a coffee at 8pm has ever helped me sleep! ;D

Hi Sammus !

somehow coffee ( Or caffeine ) doesnt have any effect on myself or my hubby anymore.

Must have been the countless hours of staying up studying during Uni days and downing a few coffees and energy drinks to stay awake.... hehe :P

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#14 date=1197608830
    Hi Sammus !

somehow coffee ( Or caffeine ) doesnt have any effect on myself or my hubby anymore.

Must have been the countless hours of staying up studying during Uni days and downing a few coffees and energy drinks to stay awake.... hehe :P
    Now you see, I say that as well... but if you go without dont you find you need "a hit just to take the edge off"

Quote Originally Posted by lattegirl link=1196492131/0#11 date=1197431599
    Well, the kitchen paper mod works like a dream... no more vibrating drip tray !!

Pretty used to the PF locking in at 7 oclock. Like everyone says, it will wear in time.

Were finding that steaming milk is abit tricky with this machine. It seems easier to get microfoam from full fat milk instead of low fat. Not sure if summer has anything to do with the milk texture. Tried following Lucas instructions on his blog but its still under practice. Anyone with suggestions? ( jug positioning, steam tip positioning etc )

Other than that, very happy with the maver. Its on a timer at 5.30am so we get our morning coffee and switches off at 9am, then on again at 6pm till 10pm for a night cap ;)

Hmmmm. It seems were having exactly the same problems as you are. I was just about to ring Chris up and find out how to get my shots right when all of a sudden, they just came good.

The milk texturing...well thats still a problem, but I found the Espro Toroid jug I bought from Venezianos helped a lot. You just hold the jug level and put the steam tip just below the surface and right in the middle. Then let her rip!