Thread: ECM Giotto Problems

ECM Giotto Problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys & gals,

Long time reader first time poster. Thanks for your previous insights and advice. Youre help would once more be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Heres the low down. Bought an ECM Giotto Prem (major upgrade from Sunbeam EM5800) off eBay at a great price, 3 yrs old in sweet condition but had a couple of issues when I got it:

1. The power light didnt work - easy fix, called ECA (ECM importers) and they sent me a new light assembly. Good excuse to pull it apart. After a small electrocution :) now working. Nice!

2. Theres a ticking noise when I turn it on before I can hear the boiler start to heat. Its a regular tick, tick, tick. It then slows down after a while then starts to heat the boiler. The ticking slows down then stops after a while then everything works fine: group, hot water, steam. Not great but OK - any ideas?

3. This is the doozy! The group leaks when under pressure (with basket full for a shot or blind inserted) via the lever axle. Took it apart to find the seal had completely disintegrated. ECA sent me a seal for this too but after cleaning it out as well as I could and then replacing the seal it still leaks. Should I undo the thick arm that the the lever axle screws into and give it a good clean out? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to Di Bartoli for a service.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mattt

Re: ECM Giotto Problems

Mattt, I reckon youre at the point where you should take it in to Renzo. The quicker you do, the quicker youll be enjoying god shots.

Apart from that, you might consider sending it down to Chris for a thermostability workout at the same time as the repair - made a huge difference (positive) to mine and well worth the money - hell have it back in days, depending on his workload...just dont send it sitting in the co-pilots seat like I did ;)

Hey,

If it was me then I would send it to Chris so he can fix it and do the mod at the same time. Not saying Renzo is bad or anything.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mattt link=1197631361/0#0 date=1197631360
    1. The power light didnt work - easy fix, called ECA (ECM importers) and they sent me a new light assembly. Good excuse to pull it apart. After a small electrocution :) *now working. Nice!
    Good stuff Mattt and great that youre still around. ;)
    Rule #1- unplug!

2. Theres a ticking noise when I turn it on before I can hear the boiler start to heat. Its a regular tick, tick, tick. It then slows down after a while then starts to heat the boiler. The ticking slows down then stops after a while then everything works fine: group, hot water, steam. Not great but OK - any ideas?
    Without seeing the unit, sounds like the element relay might be on the way out- may need a new controller board- $$$ *:(. Is the pressurestat performing normally to maintain element pressure?

3. This is the doozy! The group leaks when under pressure (with basket full for a shot or blind inserted) via the lever axle. Took it apart to find the seal had completely disintegrated. ECA sent me a seal for this too but after cleaning it out as well as I could and then replacing the seal it still leaks. Should I undo the thick arm that the the lever axle screws into and give it a good clean out? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to Di Bartoli for a service.
    I think its time to pull down the entire lever assembly and rebuild it. It should only need seals. Sounds like the machine has done a heap of work?

Re the above mentioned mods, they work well on a Giotto Premium...Unfortunately, if its a Giotto Classic, its not really worth going down the pathway as the differences are not as big....

Good luck!

Chris

Thanks D, CK & 2mcm,

The ticking has stopped - must have been from the move - weird.

The lever handle still leaks but Ive found the culprit. Pulled the lever assembly apart completely this morning before heading to work and have had a closer look this arvo. 2 tiny seals on the shaft set into grooves - one was missing though Im pretty sure the remains of it were distributed through the shaft and the other was brittle - it cracked out under my fingernail. Ill put in a call to ECA on Monday to get the seals, then it should be ready to rock (or should I say shoot).

I bought it from a small tax office (4 staff) so I dont think its had much use. However I think they keep it on pretty much non stop - I dont reckon they even turned it off at night. The water tank has discoloured at the top from heat so I think it got a bit melty, melty, if you know what I mean.

Who is Chris (or do you mean ECA Chris)? Does he do the pimping that Ive read about in another thread? If you do mean ECA Chris, he suggested Di Bartoli (I assume this is Renzo).

Here is the disassembled lever assembly. NB arrows where seal should be. Its all clean now. Nice!

I took apart the waste assembly as well - filthy. Its now all clean too. I forgot how to put it back together but figured it our after a while. Yesssss!

Nice to know you found the problem. Chris is 2muchcoffeeman from Talk Coffee, he does the pimping 8-)

Toosey, good to see your working through it all mate, Ill come over and put that power point in for your new machine for ya soon, looks like its gonna be in the new year though mate.

Re: ECM Giotto Fixed

Spoke to Chris at ECA and turns out I had the wrong seal in the wrong place - it doesnt even go in there. The seals I needed to replace I didnt even know were there - pulled then out and they were completely worn out as they sit around the lever shaft that rotates in them. The 2 grooves in the shaft are grease pits. I replaced the correct seal and it works sweet - no drips.

Ill post the correct lever handle parts explosion soon.

Now I just need to work on my technique - such a hack! 3 shots this arvo: 1st underextraction - I need a proper tamper. 2nd too much coffee in the group handle so the head was resting on the puck - no flow. 3rd over extraction - either cos the group was still touching the puck or too hard a tamp. Plus my milk was shocking - not used to the power. I guess Ill have to unlearn my old Sunbeam habits

Plenty of time though...

Can I just put in a plug for Chris at ECA (ECM importers). Super helpful! Generous with his time! Sent me the replacement parts for free!

Non-Sponsor contact details removed.....

Mal.

Re: ECM Giotto Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by mattt link=1197631361/0#9 date=1197891806
    2nd too much coffee in the group handle so the head was resting on the puck[/color]
    Is Chris still okay? Sounds painful :(

;D ;D ;D Ok Identity, it took me about 5 times of reading it, but I just got your joke... good one! ;D Poor Chris. Lets hope Mattt gave it a good cooling flush before hand ;)

;D OK it also took me a while to get that, but it made my day! I had a laugh ;D ;D

Got it. Nice identity.

Cooling flush is being utilized. Also waiting for the pressure increase to reside during the boiler reheating before pulling the shot. Is that right?

Shots are improving. Had friends over for dinner last night. My mate Scott reckons Ill have it down by the 100th coffee :)

Went to Di Bartoli yesterday - awesome! Got a tamper which makes a huge difference over that crap piece of plastic ECM ship with it.

Sorry Mal. Didnt know. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattt link=1197631361/0#14 date=1198028879
    Sorry Mal. Didnt know. Cheers.
    All spelled out in the Sales and Posting Policy Matt, wouldnt be a bad idea to make yourself familiar with it ;),

Cheers,
    Mal.

Just had to replace the "Black Box" on my Giotto premium, had it on a good spike busting power board to try and prevent this from happening, but such is life.

Bobby at ECM got a replacement down to me post haste, but it was different to the one that came out, no problem with that, but it meant that I couldnt use the photos I had taken of the old wiring to connect up the new one.
    The new one has the actual wiring colours on it, but in italian :P

OK, I thought, I ride Italian bikes, I can translate, with a little help from my Guzzi manual ::)

Thought I would post the conversion for anybody else who has to do the same thing ;)

Old black box.

New black box.

Giotto guts

Edited for smaller images, problem with having a hi res MacBook Pro, sorry

Great info Andy..... 8-)

Any chance of reducing the size of those wider images, they dont quite fit within the width of the page making it necessary to scroll up and down the page each time you need to scan across them, might be annoying to some.... :-?

Mal.

Thanks Andy :)

Quote Originally Posted by 65697C7C7C080 link=1197631361/9#9 date=1197891806
    Spoke to Chris at ECA and turns out I had the wrong seal in the wrong place - it doesnt even go in there. The seals I needed to replace I didnt even know were there - pulled then out and they were completely worn out as they sit around the lever shaft that rotates in them. The 2 grooves in the shaft are grease pits. I replaced the correct seal and it works sweet - no drips.

Ill post the correct lever handle parts explosion soon.

My lever developed a leak a few weeks ago and i ordered
    new teflon gasket
    the 2 rubber gaskets
    and a new sleeve

put it all back together and still have a leak

following the exploded view diagram online i think i put it together properly

group stem cam inserted
    teflon gasket onto cam holder fitting
    the the 2 rubber seals onto the stem clam
    sleeve
    spring
    cam holder plug
    then the handle

is this the correct way

Thanks