Thread: My first post... and my Giotto

My first post... and my Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi and a Happy New Year to all.

Following some 14+ months of ummming and aaarrrrrring, I made it a New years resolution to *have great coffee at home in 2008. *So, I ordered an [s]ECM[/s] Rocket Espresso Giotto and a Mazzer-mini from Chris at Talk Coffee on New Years day - in fact, Chris was kind enough to call me that day to help me with my grinder selection (great service Chris, many thanks). *Got nowhere in the kitchen to put it, (probably the laundry for now), wife cant believe the cost (your hair and make-up products costs how much every month????), copping abuse from my brother-in-law- at the cost and hassle of going manual (mate, a $1,200 Saeco automatic is not the epitome of coffee making - and you still dont have a clue about frothing the milk from that puny trickle of steam sputtering out of the wand) and it will probably take me 6 months to work out how to make a decent coffee, but folks, I DONT CARE - Ive ordered my dream machine and I CANT WAIT!!!! *At least I know Ill get a sympathetic ear here.....

Looking at other members experiences with Giotto deliveries last year, I just hope Rocket can come through with Chris promised January supply of five, one of which has my name on it.... *Actually, I like the uncertainty of supply and delivery times (bit like an expectant father) - you can say that in this day and age, these things shouldnt happen, but Id like to think its because Italian craftmanship just cant be hurried (works for me anyway)!!!!

Ill update this post with delivery progress and do a little pictorial when the package arrives.

Cheers

COFFEECHASER

Re: My first post... and my Giotto

Hi Wildcard,

Weclome to coffeesnobs and you are right in your assumption that you will get support and sympathy in regards to the decision you have made to pursue coffee and the reactions that you have already received from wife and brother-in-law.

I have had a small play on the combination you have purchased and I am sure you will be happy with your purchase and you should produce to good coffee in time. Have you thought about doing a course?

Chris will look after you I am sure. I bought my combination from him and he went above and beyond throughout the entire process.

I am sure you will win both your wife and your brother-in-law over in no time once you get the machine sorted.

Look forward to hearing more of your coffee journey.

Brett

UPDATE: Chris at Talk Coffee was advised by ECA on 22 January of a 10-day delay on the Giotto shipment, now looking at an early February delivery... something to do with the freight forwarder, not the manufacturer, ie the machines are in transit. :-[

I (very) briefly flirted with the idea of changing my order to a Domobar Superlever, but after speaking to Chris and reviewing my reasons for choosing the Giotto (design and build quality, performance, thermostability upgrade, looks, size), I reaffirmed that the Giotto was the best machine for my needs.

So, well have to put up with another couple of weeks of the morning run to the local for an (admittedly) decent coffee (most of the time).... with the Tour Down Under in full swing, the lycra pedal brigade have multiplied ten-fold and like a blue-green algae plague, choke up the cafe sidewalks around my area......

Hey Wildcard,
    ive just found just found this thread, was counting on you to let me know how you found the Giotto, but in the meantime, Ive also ordered one from Chris. Mine hasnt arrived either SIGH ( its alright Chris, Im not whinging! its just that if there was any justice in the world, it would arrive 5 minutes after my decision :P ),
    So... still looking forward to your first reports

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gracey link=1199306911/0#3 date=1202038560
    Hey Wildcard,
    ive just found just found this thread, was counting on you to let me know how you found the Giotto, but in the meantime, Ive also ordered one from Chris. Mine hasnt arrived either SIGH ( its alright Chris, Im not whinging! its just that if there was any justice in the world, it would arrive 5 minutes after my decision :P ),
    This week Gracey!

They are arriving in Sydney on Tuesday and we hope to freight prior to the end of the week....

regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gracey link=1199306911/0#3 date=1202038560
    Hey Wildcard,
    Mate, its frustrating as hell re the delivery times, but it really is beyond anyones control as to when the factory ships the units - we (and the supplier) can only wait for their arrival. It would be good if there was enough stock on the suppliers shelves for immediate delivery, but either Rocket is still trying to build up its inventory following the Giotto purchase from ECM, or they just cant make them fast enough to satisfy demand world-wide (and probably dont want to, given that the machines quality means they will probably lose very few customers - this approach works for certain watch manufacturers (Panerai) and car makers (Ferrari). Funny that, both companies are Italian!!).

As I said in my opening post, I guess the wait is all part of the process..... but after you read the 50 millionth article on how to pour a great espresso crema, it would be good if you could jump on the machine and actually see if you can do the same!!

Needless to say, Ill post again when the goodies arrive with first impressions...... although, as this is my first coffee machine, I wont be able to compare it to anything (apart from my Breville electric kettle), so I guess it really will be my first impressions!

Site Sponsor

For all you Sydneysiders looking for a pimped Giotto..

Pimped Giotto Rocket Espresso are available now in Di Bartoli Center Bondi Junction. Plenty of stock available throughout February. You can drop by for a demo, receive your free training and pick one up, or you can ring/email/pm us today to order with your special cs reduced price, to be shipped to you anywhere in Australia on Monday!

More more details visit: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885/0

Happy to stand corrected on the delivery issue DB...... unless you have some compromising polaroids of your supplier of course ;)

Woooohooooo, Chris rang this morning to tell me my Giotto is pimped and awaiting pick-up by TNT Express.

TNT emailed me in the afternoon, confirming delivery tomorrow, 13 February. I cant wait to get home from work tomorrow!!!

Wildcard et al
    You last post was 12/2 *it is now 4/3
    I am desperately waiting on an update. *Has it arrived? *Is the family still talking to you? Is it as great as I hope it is? *How is the coffee? *What is the learning curve? Is it as you had hoped?
    Dont leave me in suspense

It would be/will be my eventual step up from silvia.

Dumiya

ps what does pimped mean?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1199306911/0#9 date=1204626470
    Wildcard et al
    You last post was 12/2 it is now 4/3
    I am desperately waiting on an update. Has it arrived? Is the family still talking to you? Is it as great as I hope it is? How is the coffee? What is the learning curve? Is it as you had hoped?
    Dont leave me in suspense

It would be/will be my eventual step up from silvia.

Dumiya

ps what does pimped mean?
    Hi Dumiya,

If youd like to read about pimped Giotti, have a look at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1180142910

Its a good time to buy with good stocks finally available. FYI there are also lots of Silvia buyers around at present, so youll get an easy and rapid and good $$$ back...

Feel free to drop me a line if I can assist.

Chris