Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: ecm giotto - pump problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    ecm giotto - pump problem

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, Im a first time member but have been reading postings on this site. I have a problem with my ecm giotto, can anyone help? I have had her for 3 years with several problems, firstly she needed earthing :-? then the control panel went and needed changing and now I have another problem :-/ After reading various giotto postings I am beginning to think Im the only one having so many issues with her. She will produce one espresso once turned on and heated up, but then no more. I have had her at the technician who changed the pump air bleed valve, I picked her up yesterday and again only got one shot of coffee!!! We have now taken the pump apart, cleaned the bits with the springs and balls in them, re-assembed it and again (luckily we took photos as we took it apart or we would still be trying to put it together :o ), but only get one or two espressos. When it starts pumping the pump sounds like it is working but no water coming through as if the pump in pumping under pressure. I will have to go back to the coffee machine technician. Does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to anyone else.

    We are really missing our coffee :(
    Thanks Lisa

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Hi Lisa,

    Sounds like the machine is giving you the run around. Is it a Giotto or Giotto premium?

    Things that come to mind for me:

    1. Ditch the pump and replace it. Theyre cheap
    2. If its a newer Giotto/Giotto premium, they will cut out if they think they have no water. Are you using very filtered watered or very pure spring water lacking dissolved solids? These machines look for conductivity in the water. Is there any reason why the machine may think its empty?
    3. Give the the tank probes a clean
    4. Is the opv operating normally? If its not, this could cause the pump to stall.
    5. What chance calcium scale?

    If youre in Sydney, Id be referring you to Renzo or perhaps ex ECM wizard- Peter Cairis. Also, Dave at ECA knows them inside out and upside down....

    Hope this helps.

    Chris


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1200135822/0#1 date=1200136752
    Hi Lisa,

    Sounds like the machine is giving you the run around. Is it a Giotto or Giotto premium?

    Things that come to mind for me:

    1. Ditch the pump and replace it. Theyre cheap
    2. If its a newer Giotto/Giotto premium, they will cut out if they think they have no water. Are you using very filtered watered or very pure spring water lacking dissolved solids? These machines look for conductivity in the water. Is there any reason why the machine may think its empty?
    3. Give the the tank probes a clean
    4. Is the opv operating normally? If its not, this could cause the pump to stall.
    5. What chance calcium scale?

    If youre in Sydney, Id be referring you to Renzo or perhaps ex ECM wizard- Peter Cairis. Also, Dave at ECA knows them inside out and upside down....

    Hope this helps.

    Chris
    Thanks Chris, we have a giotto premium, the machine does detect whether there is water in the reservoir and I have been using tap water :-[ . We have cleaned the tank probes, she also had a full service with Dave at ECA in August last year. It was ECA that tried to fix it this week so will call him again on Monday. What is the opv? We cant see any calcium scale.

    Another question - when no water is being pumped through, the pump sounds like it is pumping but under stress which leads me to think that the mechanism after the pump, ie. the springs and the balls are getting stuck even though we have cleaned them. Inside the pump there is a heavy duty spring and a lighter duty spring, currently the heavy spring is the solonoid side of the pump, is this correct? Any suggestions/comments.
    Thanks
    Lisa

  4. #4
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Hi Lisa,

    I have seen lots of pumps which look fine but just dont do the job reliably. A replacement pump is well under $100 and I really think you should ditch it rather than try to get it working. I consider them a throw out item.

    The OPV is the over pressure release (valve)- but Im sure that Dave would have checked that.

    As your machine has a new controller in it, Id be inclined to do the pump and then problem solve the rest if the fault still presents. If the problem does present again, It is possibly in the water circuit tripping the low water level cutout- i.e the machine thinks its empty.

    The behaviour descrived is exactly the behaviour we saw in a machine owned by CS member Habit. In his case, we ultimately replaced the controller. A complicating factor on that repair was very highly filtered water containing too few dissolved solids to enable the machine to run consistently.

    Good luck with it all...

    Chris

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Thanks again Chris
    Will speak to Dave at ECA and get the pump changed and hopefully this will work as we are all missing our shots of liquid gold! [smiley=shocked.gif]
    I would like to say that Dave at ECA has always been very helpful, and I would recommend them.
    Would you replace the pump with the same one that the machine comes with or recommend a different pump?
    Thanks
    Lisa

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Quote Originally Posted by lisa_i link=1200135822/0#4 date=1200182190
    Thanks again Chris
    Will speak to Dave at ECA and get the pump changed and hopefully this will work as we are all missing our shots of liquid gold! * [smiley=shocked.gif]
    I would like to say that Dave at ECA has always been very helpful, and I would recommend them.
    Would you replace the pump with the same one that the machine comes with or recommend a different pump?
    Thanks
    Lisa
    Pumps are very robust Lisa....It will be fine to use a straight replacement...

    Chris

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Thanks Chris, will let you know how it goes.
    Lisa

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Good news, it looks like the problem is solved. I picked up a new pump from ECA, we put it in and she is going well. I think we over-used the pump by using the giotto for quite a few cups of tea a day as well as all the coffees. I now have a kettle! I cant think of any other reason that the pump would go after only three years.

    Anyhow, thanks for the help. Lisa

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    390

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Hello Lisa,
    sorry i didnt see this earlier

    I had the exact same problem with mine, and it turned out to just be the pump.
    As with yours mine happened just on 3 years of ownership.
    Has been the only problem i have had with the machine though

    Glad to hear yo got it sorted out though

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Ive had a Giotto Premium for over 3 years and its been generaly good although had to replace control panel 12 months ago. However Im worried the machine is going to explode. Ever since Ive had it, the Bar Guage shows just under 1.5 but now its going over 2 and making worrying noises. Anybody able to point me in the right direction ?

  11. #11
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: ecm giotto - pump problem

    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyflatwhite link=1200135822/0#9 date=1202726302
    Ive had a Giotto Premium for over 3 years and its been generaly good although had to replace control panel 12 months ago. However Im worried the machine is going to explode. Ever since Ive had it, the Bar Guage shows just under 1.5 but now its going over 2 and making worrying noises. *Anybody able to point me in the right direction ?
    Hi SFW,

    Alas your machine needs a new pressurestat as yours is now cactus.

    Its an easy and quick fix....

    Good luck

    Chris



Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Watlow96 and pump preasure
    By gab9479 in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th September 2012, 10:51 AM
  2. Via Venezia PROBLEM - Pump engages as soon as turned on
    By jesuislepop in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th March 2012, 02:11 PM
  3. Silva has a problem- pump?
    By warek in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th May 2010, 08:08 PM
  4. Loud vibe pump problem
    By Sparky in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th November 2005, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •