Thread: Cool touch steam wand for VBM

Cool touch steam wand for VBM

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I have a VBM Domobar Super which i am extremely happy with. However i am regularly burning myself on the steam wand.
    I have previously used a giotto that has the cool touch steam wand on it and i am interested to know if i can buy one and stick it on the VBM.

Has anyone else done this? Is there any loss in steam quality?

thanks - andy

Re: Cool touch steam wand for VBM

Hi Andy.

I cant help with your direct query unfortunately, but I do know that the Giottos anti-burn steam wand and the no-burn hot water wand designs are Patent Pending and I didnt find any other machine that has this feature. After burning my thumb and index finger good and proper on my sisters Saeco machine last year, this feature was the sealer in my decision to buy a Giotto over a VBM (see my other post).

Maybe you can get replacement Giotto wands and back-fit them to your VBM, assuming the bends and fittings allow the transplant? Chris at Talk Coffee sells and services both machines, Im sure hell have some ideas.

By the way, Im curious as to why you moved from a Giotto to the VBM???

Call one of the sponsors. Talk Coffee sell VBM, so Chris will know.
    I have an Expobar with a cool touch wand and I love it.
    I believe that the Makin and others come with cool touch as well.

As for loss in steam quality, not sure, but the Expobar steams quite fast and well from my perspective.

Brett.

I replaced my Expobars steam wand with a cool touch from Di Bartoli.
    Theres no noticeable change in steaming ability.

Yeah the Cool touch steam wand on my Minore is great. The only downside to this is that when you go to use a machine that doesnt have one, you get a sharp reminder! ouch!!

I kinda wish the hot water spout on the Expobars were cool touch too. I made the mistake of thinking it was when I first got it. Admittedly I rarely touch the hot water spout from poking out sideways, only when Im purging the steam boiler every now and then.

yeeza,

Im the same. I dont use other machines often, but I just know Im gonna burn myself when I do as I have got into the habit of touching the steam wand on mine.

Also got a bite from the hot water spout first time I used it. I didnt think it was cool touch, I was just on auto pilot.

casso

Andy, Just wondering if you ever got an answer to your question? Im in a similar situation. I can definitely live with the standard steam arm, but would be interested to know if an alternative cool touch was available?

Chris (Talk Coffee) can you assist?

Im about to upgrade the steam wand on my expobar office semi-auto. I have the choice or normal or no-burn (apprently has a teflon liner inside), they are the same price, I was going to go normal wand, but if there is drop in steaming power, maybe I should go the no-burn version ???

Quote Originally Posted by 3C3B2A2A3B2C3F2A3631333B5E0 link=1201209655/7#7 date=1301313399
    Im about to upgrade the steam wand on my expobar office semi-auto. I have the choice or normal or no-burn (apprently has a teflon liner inside), they are the same price, I was going to go normal wand, but if there is drop in steaming power, maybe I should go the no-burn version ???

I believe the drop in steam pressure is WITH the non-burn version...

Cheers,
    Nader.

makes sense, if no burn is smaller internal diameter due to teflon liner, which is more friction (forget frcition co-efficient of teflon, were talking pipes) so less steam flow, same principle as a gas pipe.