Thread: Giotto Premium Steam wand

mj

Giotto Premium Steam wand

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, Ive had my Giotto Premium now for about year and its been going strong (thanks Chris :)). But the steam wand arm has started to come loose from the ball joint and Ive not found it particularly easy to fix. Right now Im doing some work with a Client remotely so do not have a garage full of tools to play with. Can anyone tell me what size of spanner I need to turn the top section? Because of the bend in the steam wand you cannot just screw it back up tight and the ball joint section is too stiff to turn around by hand. Also Im loosing pressure very quickly, on the first extraction and steam, but Im assuming thats associated with the loose steam wand.

Can anyone tell me what size of spanner would fit the flats below the ball joint? The little adjustable spanner I have with me is too thick and large to do the job.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Giotto Premium Steam wand

Sorry I dont have my giotto here to take a measurement mj.

I can however shed some light on the sudden steam pressure drop. Its not associated with the steam arm prob, but rather, the anti-vac valve that screws into the top of the boiler. Youll need to replace that (inexpensive) and wrap a little teflon tape around the thread before you do.

Its a common prob with the giotto. To reduce the likelihood of it occurring again I suggest you open the valve when you switch on your machine; wait for steam to start coming out of the arm, and then close the valve. When you switch off your machine you can open the valve again so that it will be ready for whenever you next turn it on.

mj

Thx Dennis.. my first assumption was that the two issues were related, but probably that does not compute as you suggest.
    Im guessing that the anti-vac valve is something to get from the likes of coffeeparts (or do I have to go direct to ECM for that sort of thing?).
    Regardless its a pain cause Im a good 4-5 hours from anywhere likely to stock parts right now, so Im keen to be pretty sure of whats what before trying to sort it all out.

Mj.

Dont know where you are mj, but do know Di Bartoli keep the valves in stock and sure they could post one out to you with some teflon tape.

As for being "pretty sure" Im 99.99% confident that the sudden drop is the anti-vac valve...pictured below.

TC

Yes MJ- you need an anti-vac valve...

They are generic- Pedro at Coffeeparts or any service tech should have them....

Chris

You need a 9mm spanner. I know because I had exactly the same problem, and had to go an buy one especially for the job.

mj

Thanks Dennis, Chris, Tim...

Off to find a local hardware today for a spanner, and plan to get a new anti-vac ASAP.

Mj :)