Thread: advice on la cimbali junior d maintenance please

blunt

advice on la cimbali junior d maintenance please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hello.. im looking for some advice on my trusty junior d. ive had it 8 or 9 years.. bought it used and over the years ive been able to manage the upkeep with advice from this board. im at a point now where the pumps been leaking and its always had some rust inside since i got it but the leak has sped things up so i decided its time to restore it. i have it completely tore down and the harness removed. i plan on bead blasting and powder coating all painted surfaces and replacing the pump as well as all the seals i can. is there a decent solution i should be soaking all my copper and boiler in while im doing this? ive heard good and bad about citric acid and while im not aware of any aluminum in my machine im certainly no expert. any advice you seasoned folks have would be greatly appreciated. i want to do this right and i would hate to have overlooked something i could have done "while in there" thank you as always.

Re: advice on la cimbali junior d maintenance plea

I believe most people use citric acid for that purpose. The boiler, group head, pipes, etc would all be brass or copper, so no problem using citric acid on them. Theres other threads on here and elsewhere about rebuilding Cimbali Juniors, so itd probably pay to do a search.

Bill

Try having a read of the Cimbali Junior restoration on this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174998951/0

regards,
    Bill

blunt

ok its been a few weeks and i read the previous thread about the gentleman who rebuilt his junior d. i may have been a bit luckier as mine seemed to be in a tad better shape. unless you count the rust. it was pretty clean of scale so i completely dissasembled and cooked it in a citric acid bath. that cleaned it up nicely. in the mean time the frame was horrid looking as you can see here

i bead blasted everything and sent it off to the powder coaters. in the mean time i got all new seals, o-rings, a new vibe pump and some new hoses. after getting it all back and powder coated i started to assemble it.

i had a couple leaks i was able to fix with a few extra tweaks but the line that goes to the gauge snapped on me right in half. so i ordered up a new one out of california and im waiting for that to arrive and hopefully ill be good for another 10 years.
    here it is re assembled and ready to go as soon as i get that line. i cant wait. i have no clue how to set boiler temp and pressure so if anyone could walk me through that id love it. i cant believe how long ive owned this and im still learning. thanks to all of you for your continued guidance and support

Man that looks awesome now. Good stuff!!

Nice job blunt. Im jealous!

Were there any extra holes in the metalwork after beadblasting? Sure looked like you got to it just in time.

Well done.

b4b.

blunt

thanks guys, nope no extra holes. its still real solid but pitted pretty well in several areas. it looks like it had been seeping from the vipe pump for some time. it must have been warm enough in there to evaporate it so it wasnt running out the bottom but yet keep it good and moist inside. good reminder to check the internals occasionally i guess. i cant wait for my new line so i can try it. does anyone have any tips or perhaps a link to how to set boiler temp and pressure? i read that link on flushing and learned things i didnt know. i have to admit my shots are not real consistent and altho ive had this thing a long time i have not perfected it. the link on flushing taught me a lot i was not aware of. ive always stumbled through it and tried to learn on my own. i realize i need a good tamper so thats next on the list. thanks for the help guys