Thread: The Pointy End (General)

The Pointy End (General)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    I am about to migrate to this part of the forum. *I made the mistake of reading a few posts here (from wildcard) *and got swept away.
    This forum is soooo different from the 500-1500 one. Down there there are more posts as we struggle/work to master our espresso machines or attempt and indeed succeed to push them past their limits. *Up here is is really quite quiet!
    I suppose I ask:
    Are happy with machines in the pointy bracket?
    Are they performing with the margin you hoped?
    Or have you blown you blown your dough and are keeping quiet? ( I am asking seriously.)
    I expect very shortly to purchase a ECM Giotto Rocket (from a site sponsor).
    I would appreciate comments -
    I just realized that with pointy machines perhaps everyone is happy and is simply enjoying their coffee.
    A passing comment would be helpful.
    dumiya

TC

Re: The Pointy End (General)

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1205151815/0#0 date=1205151815
    Hi
    I am about to migrate to this part of the forum. *I made the mistake of reading a few posts here (from wildcard) *and got swept away.
    This forum is soooo different from the 500-1500 one. Down there there are more posts as we struggle/work to master our espresso machines or attempt and indeed succeed to push them past their limits. *Up here is is really quite quiet!
    I suppose I ask:
    Are happy with machines in the pointy bracket?
    Are they performing with the margin you hoped?
    Or have you blown you blown your dough and are keeping quiet? ( I am asking seriously.)
    I expect very shortly to purchase a ECM Giotto Rocket (from a site sponsor).
    I would appreciate comments -
    I just realized that with pointy machines perhaps everyone is happy and is simply enjoying their coffee.
    A passing comment would be helpful.
    dumiya
    Hi Dumiya,

I doubt that youll find too many unhappy campers here...

Machines at this end typically do a terrific job and its a matter of choosing the one which has the set of features that best meet your requirements. A giotto (or even better an upgraded one) or any of the other great machines in this bracket coupled with a great grinder and fresh coffee will leave the biggest variation to the nut on the group handle- as they say *;)

Do your homework to get the machine for your needs (they are all subtly different) and many/all of your worries will disappear...

Chris

mwatt

Hi Dumiya,

I love my Giotto, and I have never once regretted the outlay. :)

The site sponsors will look after you, theyre a tops bunch of people.

Michelle

Stew

If you can afford it and not regret spending this amount of money on coffee then you will not regret the machines that come at this price. I am totally happy with my Giotto and Macap and first and foremost (with good fresh beans) IT JUST WORKS.

Thank you for the above comments.

All things being equal my upgraded Rocket Espresso Giotto will be on its way across Australia tomorrow.

Dumiya

Hi there
    Cant complain about my Giotto or indeed the sponsor i bought it off. Flawless machinery and flawless service.
    I have been reading about the upgrade i can get and will look to get this done in the near future.

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1205151815/0#1 date=1205172867
    any of the other great machines in this bracket coupled with a great grinder and fresh coffee will leave the biggest variation to the nut on the group handle
    bahaha love it ;D

And to make the post on topic, Ill be a bit different to the others posting here - certainly I dont regret my purchase and am very happy with my machine, but I bought a VBM domobar super, not a giotto ;) Im sure Id be equally as happy with a giotto, or anything else similar...

Hi Dumiya,

Good to hear that you have your Rocket machine on the way, it must be exciting. I have no doubts you will love it and not look back, as most of us here have. With prosumers, its a matter of finding the right machine to fulfil your needs, whatever that may be - I hope the Giotto (and Im sure it will) fulfils those very needs for you in what youre lookin for in a machine.

So whats happening to that Silvia then? Are you like me and cant sell old stuff youve shared time with or are we gonna see it in the For Sale section? ;)

Hi Dumiya

Ive been rapt ever since day one with my machine!

But truth be told but, I reckon my skill level was letting my machine down during my first 6 months of making coffee with it*:-[.

Of the "Four Ms***" to extracting sublime coffee, I found that spending a couple of hundred extra $$$ on training (Basic, then Advanced Home Barista Classes, Latte Art) helped me get a lot further along the quality curve than where the new machine alone would have taken me.

Food for thought to get the absolute best out of your machine :)

Cheers,

-Alchemist-

*** "Four Ms":
    (1) MISCELA (Mi-shay-lah) - The Coffee Blend / Beans
    (2) MACINAZIONE (Ma-chi-na-zi-o-nay) - The correct grind of the beans
    (3) MANO (Mah-no) - The skilled hand of the barista / machine operator
    (4) MACCHINA (Ma-key-na) - The machine

Hi Alchemist
    I have done a barista course before I purchased Ms Silvia (YeeZa- I dont intend to sell yet as she is still a great machine what with PID and all)
    But I will certainly do another course soon. *We have a cafe sort of near by that has a bigger ECM with the same groups and you can also take you own. In my case I would take Silvia to the course
    I am also playing with Italian - But I dont know whether that will help with the coffee!!

My main challenge is trying to get the good microfoam that I am able to get with the old "Cafe Roma in my work place house. (yoghurt). *Foam is good but the taste......

The Giotto may arrive on Monday - *Great if it does as it is actually my birthday.

Thanks to all who added to this thread.
    It is a big adventure and it is good to know there is support, help, and encouragement out there and on this board.

I will post when it arrives

Dumiya

Just a quick note to say that my Giotto Rocket has arrived.
    No chance to try it.
    But it is here.

I was fun being able to track it on the TNT website as it made its journey across Australia

I will post again when we have got to know each other and I have made peace with Silvia!

dumiya

No prizes for guessing what youll be doing over Easter then huh? *:)

Have fun *;D

-A-

I am dragging myself away from Giotto to post this:-
    I dont like to forget about all the help and support from CS so;
    First a great thank you to Chris at Coffeetalk for helping in the purchase and delivery of the Giotto.
    I have had it (him) a week.
    Yes a sudden steep short sharp learning curve. *I now have the grind, quantity and tamp about right. Really help by a recent post which suggested loosely filling the filter and fitting to the group as if to *brew then removing, lightly placing the tamper (Pullman of course) on the screen compressed grinds and noting the depth. *I use this point on the tamper as a guide to the right amount of grinds!
    The taste improves daily.

The froth .....well ... it is unbelievably good and I have not even worked on it yet! *( I whisper so silvia does not hear this but it is so much better than she could produce - I am not sure why).

I also know why there arent as many posts in this section - we are too busy enjoying our coffee!!!

Huge thanks to all of you

dumiya
    (david)

Apology to Chris at Talk Coffee:

I wish to correct the previous post (23.08).
    Coffee Talk should have read "Talk Coffee"
    No real excuse just very tied and did not check.

Apologies and continued thanks for a great MACCHINA

dumiya

Hey dumiya,

I am following this with interest cause I am in a similar situation as you were in...

In terms of a straight shot, do you find much of a quality difference between your silvia and the Giotto?

ona rampage

As I get the grind/dose/tamp right I feel there is quite an improvement, though Silvia far surpassed the Breville Cafe Roma.
    It is of course subjective.

The jump from Breville Cafe Roma to Silvia is far greater than the step between Silvia and Giotto. (the law of diminishing returns)

I hope this helps
    dumiya

Sure does, thanks dumiya.
    My mind is pretty well made up anyway, and I am coming from a Gaggia Classic, so I think the step up will be a little larger then the silvia up. Good to know that there really is a difference but!

Cheers
    paul

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1205151815/15#15 date=1206659592
    ona rampage

As I get the grind/dose/tamp right I feel there is quite an improvement, though Silvia far surpassed the Breville Cafe Roma.
    It is of course subjective.

The jump from Breville Cafe Roma to Silvia is far greater than the step between Silvia and Giotto. (the law of diminishing returns)

I hope this helps
    dumiya
    Hi Ona,

My view is that a Silvia godshot is relatively close to that of a Giotto (or any other great HX/dual boiler) godshot. The difference is that youre shooting at a much larger target and that the bullseye is a heap larger as well....

IMHO, that and ease of use make it well worth the extra spend ;)

Chris

I think Chris is right there but I have to add the grinder makes a big contribution as well. *I just cant get the same quality from my old Mokita compared to the VBM/Mazzer mini.