Thread: Low shower screen on the domobar super

Low shower screen on the domobar super

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Due to the low shower screen, Im finding that im dosing the double basket with not as much coffee and I can hardly get enough to make two cups of coffee with the double filter basket. I dont even bother with the single shot baskets anymore. What do you domobar owners do? A triple basket?

Gav

Re: Low shower screen on the domobar super

Hi Gav,
    Im only a real newbie (like very new!), since picking up my new acquisition from Ofra & Renzo on the weekend (plug..... plug.....). Ive been very happy with it and got a great deal, just on the steep and slippery learning curve at the moment, however been able to get a good double out of the double filter basket at the moment. I noticed however my grind & tamping introduced great variability at the moment which initially gave me a very weak dose for my first few attempts.....
    I hope this helps

ev

Gav, you must be doing something wrong because the Domobar Super allows a pretty large dose (approx. 18g). Just out of curiosity, how much coffee are you expecting to extract from a double basket? 60ml total is what you should expect (2 shots). You might want to give us a little more info so we know what youve tried, type of grinder, beans & your level of experience.

Evan.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1207029885/0#0 date=1207029884
    Due to the low shower screen, Im finding that im dosing the double basket with not as much coffee and I can hardly get enough *to make two cups of coffee with the double filter basket. I dont even bother with the single shot baskets anymore. What do you domobar owners do? A triple basket?

Gav
    Hi Gavin,

I wouldnt call the domobar screen low, however it is very slightly lower than that of say a Giotto.

I usually bench tap a couple of times and then dose and collapse with a giotto. With a VBM I just palm tap, brush off, collapse then fill, brush off then tamp.

The VBM is perfectly capable of doing coffee for 2- but remember that something more like 150-180 ml is true standard flat white size.

Im 99% certain youll need to change p/f or grab a naked if you want to move to triple baskets.

Chris

Hmm Im probably comparing the vbm against the 6910 which allowed me to fill the basket up a little higher.

At the moment, Im filling the basket right up, distribute it evenly, brush off, collapse, fill, distribute, tamp. tamping till about the first line on the pullman tamper.

I can probably cut the shot a little later. or fill it a little more.

Currently getting about high 40s to 50mls from a double shot.

Probably not a big deal. Im just paranoid!!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1207029885/0#4 date=1207089126
    Hmm Im probably comparing the vbm against the 6910 which allowed me to fill the basket up a little higher.
    ;D ;D Gavin, your terms of reference are a tad skewed then!

I believe that the correct term when referring to that component in a Sunbeam machine is shower atrium ;)

Chris

Sorry to differ Chris but according to page 32 of the manual "Descaling"
    Step 3 calls it the "brewing filter/shower screen".

Thunder "auditors are sticklers for accuracy" god

Was Chris being serious?! I thought it was a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1207029885/0#0 date=1207029884
    Due to the low shower screen, Im finding that im dosing the double basket with not as much coffee and I can hardly get enough to make two cups of coffee with the double filter basket. I dont even bother with the single shot baskets anymore. What do you domobar owners do? A triple basket?

Gav

Hi Gav,

If you arent getting the shot volume that you want 60mls , then perhaps your grind is a little on the fine side.

The VBM basket takes exactly 17 gms to give the correct clearance to the shower screen, and if all other parameters are right this usually gives perfect extraction.

Try dosing by weight and see if your shots improve! Also the comparison with the 6910 is a little one sided as the two machines are totally different, having had both I know which I prefer.

10 gms is ideal for the single basket.

Cheers Gazz

yeah I probably should go out and get me one of those digital scales to weigh my coffee prior to dosing. Or.... I could go to the lab and take a drug contaminated digital scale home! :o