Thread: Giotto Dosing

Giotto Dosing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am fine tuning my espresso.

I find that the *ECM Giotto (not sure what to call it) with a double filter basket tamped and just touching the group screen weighs 20 grams of grinds. *
    Is this an over dose in calculating the 30 + 30 ml extraction.

The suggested dose is 14gms *in 23 seconds into 30 + 30 mls
    I am getting the time right but with 20gms
    Handle up; 6 seconds delay then very dark at start lighting at about 15 secs.

Should I reduce dose to 14gms and grind finer to get 30 + 30 in 23 seconds.

I must add the Giotto is fantastic I seek only to be worthy of him. *My wife is very impressed! This is a good thing but even better is to impress her more!

I will do a barista course shortly.

dumiya
    (david)

TC

Re: Giotto Dosing

Hi David,

Just in the sticky thread up there ^^ are some Giotto dosing techniques: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167622442 (They are also in your notes supplied with your machine ;))

20g sounds like a youre in the zone with a Giotto. Its now just a matter of good fresh coffee, correct grind and youll be well on the way.

Please call if I can assist...

regards

Chris

dumiya
    Sounds about right to me, i dose and tamp with the method Chris showed me when i bought my machine and my shots are between 16 - 18gm, 6 - 7 sec for pour to appear and i generally stop the shot at about 22 - 25sec depending on if i see blonding.
    I also find you cannot just set and forget the grinder either and i retest my extraction every month.
    This month its still fine and made a long black last night using a PNG SO and it was perfect.

I found it very frustrating and not getting a perfect shot and i have no where near a 100% strike rate but my long blacks are getting consistantly better and better, the bad ones tend to go to the wife who has milk based drinks i guess.

Keep at it, the machine is great to use and can produce the goods.

Mal

Dumiya, when you start out, I agree the numbers are a great way to guide you and provide a starting reference. And while at times, making a perfect espresso can seem like rocket science, the more you practice the less complicated it becomes. Dont get me wrong, Im not suggesting you throw caution to the wind, but I would recommend you engage your senses and move from the numbers to feel of the grind, the smell and colour of the shot. After a few goes you should know about how much espresso to pull.

After your barista course youll definitely have a better understanding of what youre doing, as well why youre doing it.

Enjoy

Boris.

dumiya update:

The coffee making is going very well indeed.
    The acid taste seemed to have been the result of too course a grind.

The coffees of the last couple of days have been very good indeed.
    Not sour not bitter.
    Grind is now much finer. *The dose time, amount and tamp are about right.
    The milk has always been excellent

I am ever so grateful for it being pimped (fine tuned) before delivery.
    (not sure what the word *pimped means)

What a great machine, , yes bling and all.
    With many thanks to Chris and all the support from CS

dumiya
    (David)

I must say...I dont think blonding is totally a bad thing! Has anyone ever seen extractions from the Scandos that win the Worlds? Granted they use totally different dosing techniques which match their coffee (which roasted lighter with significantly less body....why are aussies so obsessed with such damn hardcore bodied coffees?)

Even though I have blonding in my pours, I dont cut them just because theyre starting to blonde. I cut the pour when a combination of factors have added up for me....that is: volume, time, blonding rate.....and when you combine the first two together, the overall flow rate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1207139655/0#5 date=1208178066
    ....why are aussies so obsessed with such damn hardcore bodied coffees?)
    I suspect because "we" drink so many milk based drinks, and that they have to be 8oz or bigger so not to be ripped off. :(

David - in a milk drink I have found that blonded out (by a couple of seconds but still nowhere near transparent) can add some zest in a milk coffee, but would you use a blonded out shot in a short black?

I blonde my shots a little if its going into an iced coffee for me for that "zest".

If you do the taste test (swap cups after 20 ml or so and continue for another 20 ml--taste both cups) you will find that after the blonding starts the taste is very bitter.
    So it really depends on how bitter you like your coffee. Milk drinks can have lots more bitter flavours before they become objectionable to most people.
    Since I drink piccolino lattes most often (or the occasional short black) I dont like much bitter, and the sour of light roasting makes the milk taste like its off to me.
    I visited The Coffee Barun and Mark made me one of his style coffees--a Synesso triple basket full of grounds giving about 15-20 ml of coffee, and it was sweet and chocolate flavoured as a short black.
    Ive got a very smooth Aceh Arabica lighter roast that I let run a bit blonder than most of my others or else it disappears in the milk. Im very surprised what a difference 5mls makes and the extra bitterness is needed with the light roast.
    Greg
    ps-for iced coffee I add Irish Mist!

I must admit that in milk coffees a really light roast is not to my taste

Update:

I have just done a short Barista course at Epic. *Found myself with a fellow *coffeesnob ghostwhowalks. *We both have got new machines in the last few weeks from the same sponsor! *We had much to share.
    I learnt so much on a commercial that was set up correctly and in a top notch cafe environment. *It will I think be easy to duplicate the combination to do a great pour.
    The possibilities are limitless!

It is basically the talkcoffee instructions but to feel and do it made a huge difference.

dumiya

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dumiya link=1207139655/0#11 date=1208267127
    Update:

I have just done a short Barista course at Epic. *Found myself with a fellow *coffeesnob ghostwhowalks. *We both have got new machines in the last few weeks from the same sponsor! *We had much to share.
    I learnt so much on a commercial that was set up correctly and in a top notch cafe environment. It will I think be easy to duplicate the combination to do a great pour.
    The possibilities are limitless!

It is basically the talkcoffee instructions but to feel and do it made a huge difference.

dumiya
    Nothing like hands on dumiya....You should enjoy that machine even more now! 8-)

Chris

There are many ways to do a taste test.... But a quick and dirty method is to place a teaspoon under the portafilter to interrupt the flow into the cup down below.

Do it at any stage during the pour-- you only need a few drops.

On a properly roasted/dosed/tamped etc shot, while the extraction is still dark and yet to blond, you can taste the coffee flavours.

Its almost akin to eating a roasted boan.

When the blonding starts, the flavours drop off dramatically and instead of that coffee bean taste you get..... you get.... something quite unpalatable.