Thread: ECM Rocket / Giotto Pressure Loss

srm

ECM Rocket / Giotto Pressure Loss

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    We have a ECM Rocket / Giotto that is not holding pressure. If machine is left on pressure falls to zero bar - after you switch on and off it returns to normal pressure but only for one or two coffees. Has anyone else experienced this or have solution? Machine is only 18 months old.
    Thanks

Re: ECM Rocket / Giotto Pressure Loss

srm,

My guess is you have a sticky pressurestat (not an uncommon problem by the sounds of it)..... however unlike some which stick in the on position (and just keeps boiling and boiling)..... yours switches off..... and stays that way.

When the unit is turned off and cools the pressurestat starts to work again.... but after a couple of cycles sticks in the off position once more!

Sounds like a replacement is called for.

srm

Hi JavaB
    Thanks for the reply - is this something costly and as an aside how frequently should a machine be serviced. Current usage is only 2 coffees a day.
    Cheers

I had this 2 yrs ago. Does the machine still operate when the gauge shows no pressure? Ours did this and I suspected (and someone in this thread also mentioned) the pressure gauge needed replacement. A servicing proved this to be the case. I dont remember the cost but cant remember it being outrageous as it was fixed as part of the servicing which including other minor parts (gaskets, etc) and was about $150.

Re servicing interval. We were told every 12mths but I do it about every 18mth or if things are not quite right. Having had one of these machines for a few years now I do think it is worth servicing regularly and have noticed a difference in shot and steam quality each time.

Even if you only make a couple of shots a day, the time it is on can impact on things like the gaskets which are cheap to replace.

I noticed a one-off pressure loss this morning - the machine heated up for 20+ mins and reached the nominal 1.25 bar. I then drew a good 500+mL hot water, and it dropped back to zero. Out of interest I tried the steam nozzle - zip, nada. It all recovered after a while, but it surprised me that it dropped off like this.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR link=1211009527/0#4 date=1217717363
    I noticed a one-off pressure loss this morning - the machine heated up for 20+ mins and reached the nominal 1.25 bar. I then drew a good 500+mL hot water, and it dropped back to zero. Out of interest I tried the steam nozzle - zip, nada. It all recovered after a while, but it surprised me that it dropped off like this.
    Anti-vac valve David...

Time to replace it ;)