Thread: Boema Steam Tip upgrade.

Blog Entries

Boema Steam Tip upgrade.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

As most people know I use an old Boema single group machine at home and most know that I have preference (bias) for double espresso.

So it should come as little surprise that our Boema still had the original 1970s designed "Turbo Tip" on the steam wand.

It came with the machine and while it was very hard to get microfoam from it (who need steam for espresso?!?!) did a good job of making "traditional" 1/3 1/3 1/3 cappas that you can eat with a teaspoon and if I wanted to pour a microfoam latte then I would use the Rocket Giotto at the Snobbery.

To cut a long story (that few will read) short(er) Ill post pictures...

The original "Turbo Tip" was a great design in its time and adds the maximum amount of air into the moo-juice with the minimum amount of effort...

Blog Entries

Re: Boema Steam Tip upgrade.

As you can see form the above picture, the turbo tip has been well loved. *The chrome has all but gone, it came like that to me and I assume the previous owner used steel-wool or similar to clean the burnt milk from it.

The below pic is the old wand, new wand and the 1" spanner that you need to install it.

Blog Entries

Installation is pretty easy.

Remove the cover and squeeze the one inch spanner into the casing.

Undo the one nut (a few mm at a time) and if the last person used teflon tape then it will come off easy else I would expect lots of rude words muttered as you try and use a really big spanner in a really small space.

I sure was glad I used teflon or every join when I rebuilt the Boema.
    :)

Blog Entries

Below you can see the two tips side by side.

It really does show just how different the designs are.

Blog Entries

And the finished result?

Works a treat!

I feel like a milk "newbie" as I change every trick and habit that I have learnt over the years of using this machine.

How is my latte art now?

It still sucks but thats totally my fault and not the tradesmans tools.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone who has the original turbo tip Boema steam wand.

Parts are cheap and can be purchased from Boema direct
    www.boema.com.au

thanks. so much. i have this same problem and have been looking EVERYWHERE for another steam tip. We have a boema single group machine that is about 5-6 years old and it has a failry similar tip to the old tip in your photo. I have been looking for ages to find your new steam tip. so you got it from boema website????

How do you change just the steam tip on this machine?

Holy cow that turbo tip is huge! I just had a go of a 2 grp boema classic, and lets just say we left the turbo side alone! It came with a 44 gallon milk jug to match :o Even the "small" 4 large hole side makes for pretty fast steaming.

Thanks for the info, I thought it would be a simple tip replacement, but I think it will be worth it.

Yeah I have used a 2 group Boema with the later style tips and it works a treat for steaming milk. My wife who hasnt much practice, was able to steam up some nice microfoam milk using the tip with the smaller holes, on her first try, and I found the other tip with the bigger holes was great for serving at a function.

Andy, I dunno how you put up with that other thing for so long...

Blog Entries

Wow, its funny to read a 3 year old post that I had forgotten about ...but glad that the "how to" post can still help someone today.

Quote Originally Posted by 41766F6F6A7777030 link=1211105423/8#8 date=1310079152
    dunno how you put up with that other thing for so long...
    I hope I kept it, a piece of coffee history that will surely become a collectors item.
    ;)

This thread just gave me my sanity back, and saved me more $$$ in wasted milk. I've been trying to get foam, any foam, on my boema that I just got working. I was trying everything except using a big jug with a large volume. Couldn't get the milk to swirl in the small jugs I usually use, couldn't get anything but hot milk and a mess.
    Big jug .. Lots of milk and boom foams almost pouring out the top of the jug.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Wow, its funny to read a 3 year old post that I had forgotten about ...but glad that the "how to" post can still help someone today.

I hope I kept it, a piece of coffee history that will surely become a collectors item.