Thread: Expobar Office Pulser - pressure stat blown?

Expobar Office Pulser - pressure stat blown?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After nearly 4 years of punishment, my expobar office pulser has finally begged me for a holiday.

After making a coffee tonight, my wife noticed the steam wand dripping. I opened up the steam tap, and noticed that the pressure was 1000x stronger than normal.

So I flicked the brew switch - super super heated water spewed out of the group. So I turned the power off, and opened the steam tap to relieve what appeared to be an excessive build up of pressure in the boiler.

I let her relax for a bit and took the top off. Nothing seems abnormal. Turned her back on - the pump is working fine, it drew some water to fill the boiler and when I flicked the brew switch, water came out of the group as normal. But the elements didnt turn on. No steam. No hot water from the hot water tap.

My guess is that the Pressure Stat has given up. Am I correct?

Has anyone replaced an Expobar Office pstat? Which part should I get from coffeeparts? Which bit is the pstat?

Or should I just ring expobar australia?

thanks for any help!

Re: Expobar Office Pulser - pressure stat blown?

Ring Di Bartoli.
    <------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1212571034/0#0 date=1212571034
    My guess is that the Pressure Stat has given up. Am I correct?
    Yes mate, more than likely Id say :(

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1212571034/0#0 date=1212571034
    Has anyone replaced an Expobar Office pstat? Which part should I get from coffeeparts? Which bit is the pstat?
    It really depends on the type of P/Stat that is fitted to the Expobar Mattyj. If it is the commercial quality "Sirai" unit then it is quite large, usually with a black cover that slides on/off from the top after releasing a couple screws and roughly 100x50x75mm (LxWxH) in dimensions. If it is this type, it can be repaired and even overhauled. Theres a pic of one here at the top of a site sponsors page.

On the other hand, if it is one of the smaller domestic, very compact P/Stats, these are not serviceable and it will have to be replaced. These look a lot like the Oil Pressure Sender from an older Ford/Holden/Toyota, etc with two wires connected to it. Make sure that power is off and the plug removed from the power outlet mate before poking around under the bonnet. :o

All the best and if it all looks too confusing, TGs advice is spot-on..... :)

Cheers,
    Mal.

From previous poking around, its the second type you mention.

I emailed expobar Australia, and got a reply from them today; theyve passed it on to my local distributor and Ill hear from them soon.

If it is the second type you mention, is it hard to put a sirai in? Are they more adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1212571034/0#3 date=1212645829
    If it is the second type you mention, is it hard to put a sirai in? Are they more adjustable?
    Well, I guess it comes to a case of there being enough room to accommodate the Sirai as it is much larger and also how handy you are mating the necessary pipework and fittings to connect it into the system. If both of these issues are easy to handle for you then the Sirai is the better way to go as it is fully adjustable and built to commercial/industrial standards. They are also repairable which will save you money in the long run too.

If youre not up to the fitment work required for this mod mattyj then it may be worth your while to suss out your local espresso machine tech to see if he/she could do it for you? The mod will probably require access to pipe-bending tools, high-temp Silver Soldering equipment and maybe some brass fittings/adapters. Hope this helps a bit :),

Cheers,
    Mal.

cheers for that mal.

looks like Ill just find a replacement part!

ok, had another poke around. I noticed a little red button had popped up on top of the boiler. must be a safety switch.

Got a call this morning from Expobar Australia - after chatting to a tech, weve confirmed that the pressure stat is stuck open, and due to the excessive build-up of heat and pressure, a safety switch (correct!) had turned off.

I can either take it to Vittoria in Artarmon, or they can send me out a part. I requested a part, which is only $20! woohoo!

I may need some more help down the track...

Good to hear mattyj...... Gotta love those Safety Switches 8-),

Mal.

Yeah that little red button is definitely a little red button. Hard to find if youre not lookin for it.

the part arrived today, and it was as easy as unplugging and unscrewing the old one, then screwing in and plugging in the new one!

seems like its set a bit low though - this one has a thumb wheel to easily adjust the boiler pressure. now for a bit of fine tuning ... clockwise = higher pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1212571034/0#9 date=1215064344
    clockwise = higher pressure?
    Yep, most likely mattyj [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

A quick test will certainly prove it one way or the other though.... ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyj link=1212571034/0#9 date=1215064344
    clockwise = higher pressure?
    Thats the one!

so did I mention the old pressure stats adjustment dial had been glued into position, so that it was unchangable?

and after fiddling around with the new stat before putting it in, it turns out that Id fiddled to a great pressure - my cooling flushes dont need to be so long anymore!

How far off the original position did you move it? Is that something you can actually measure, or its guess and check?

its guess and check. remember the pulser has no boiler pressure guage, just a boiler on/off light. when I was fiddling, I was always moving it back to roughly the same spot.

Hey, this is an old thread, but I've run into the same issue on my office semi-auto, but began my journey changing the thermal cutoff switch. I edited a video of my diagnostic test that confirmed the pressurestat failing. It might be useful for other folks taking the DIY repair approach.

https://youtu.be/dWe_FooTmq4