Thread: Galatea arrived broken....

Galatea arrived broken....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Well my new Galatea arrived. This would replace my PID Silvia (the Silvia is pretty good though) and it was going to be up for sale this week. Alas though TNT have damaged the Galtea. The box has a hole in it and the top RHS front corner of the machine is dinged. Only small but enough that I noticed it as soon as I opened the box. TNT are hopeless.

A very disappointed Mike

TC

Re: Galatea arrived broken

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1213588272/0#3 date=1213676808
    Hi all

Well my new Galatea arrived. This would replace my PID Silvia (the Silvia is pretty good though) and it was going to be up for sale this week. Alas though TNT have damaged the Galtea. The box has a hole in it and the top RHS front corner of the machine is dinged. Only small but enough that I noticed it as soon as I opened the box. TNT are hopeless.

A very disappointed Mike
    Typical of TNT which is aptly named...Gotta lurve em ::). You should have rejected the delivery if it was damaged Mike *:-?.

We have learned the hard way with freight companies (TNT in particular) and these days will only ship machines on protective wooden pallets (skids)....Its the only way to ensure that shipments arrive in one piece. This will be an expensive lesson for your vendor with either a marine insurance claim or out of pocket expenses....

Chris

Re: Galatea arrived broken....

TNT are not the goods.

Just today they delivered a light fitting in a box marked with "Fragile" stickers , this way up etc, etc... it was at the door, upside down and broken on the inside. Not quite a Galatea, but $1000 worth of Italian light fitting.

Hi
    If I had of seen the damage first I would not have accepted it but its a small hole in the side of the box and the delivery people dont wait till you get it inside, cut open the top, remove the packaging material on top. Then one sees the ding. Its small but any damage could also mean that something inside has been stressed by whatever impact caused the ding.

The vendor has been contacted and is coming out to my place this evening. It costs time for the vendor also to do this.

I only have praise for the vendor, DiBartoli, and will give a good rundown on the excellent help I received in trying to choose a machine later when I have had a good play with it making coffee.

Mike

Yeah Renzos the goods, hell sort you out, and not leave you stranded! Good thing youve got another machine to back you upl. It could be a lot worse..... machine and grinder-less.

Reminds me of a delivery I took a while ago. I came out to the van to help the bloke carry in my delivery, there were a few things stacked around it - some of them with very obvious fragile stickers etc that her carelessly threw across the van (actually rather violently I thought) to an empty space. When I pointed out the fragile stickers he laughed, shrugged and said "it aint mine, I dont care".

Ive also posted things with fragile plastered all over the box and had the post office guy laugh at it and say its pointless writing it, because its not part of their job to keep the goods protected, thats what the packaging is for. I make sure I pack everything I send really really well now. Kinda hard to with an espresso machine, anything of decent size you pretty much need a skid.

Sorry to hear of the damage Mike - I too, know what it feels like to open up a delivery, in anticipations of something nice, only to be disappointed by careless handling.

I think there must be a lot of dyslexic people in the delivery industry, who read the word, "fragile" as "football"! >:(

Wine_of_the_Bean

Imagine the care they would take if the damage was taken out of their paychecks.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1213676809/0#7 date=1213683278
    Imagine the care they would take if the damage was taken out of their paychecks.
    Continuing on the incompetence of TNT, I have today found out that they have dropped a $1000+ Macap M4D grinder so comprehensively that the power cord was severed almost completely by the body of the grinder...

Theire response will no doubt again be "We are sorry about that"

2mcm

Macap M4D grinder so comprehensively dropped that the power cord was severed almost completely by the body of the grinder...
    Wow! *[smiley=angry.gif] *

Having just unpacked my M4D a few hours ago this astounds me - I was amazed at how well packed these are in the box. Thats some job they did on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrtle link=1213676809/0#9 date=1213689038
    Thats some job they did on it!
    Aah Myrtle! You underestimate the lack of respect they have for other peoples property. They "Just deliver it".

Sorry to vent, but this one gets me too, as I have been directly affected by this company. Im sorry if anyone who works for them and actually takes pride in their job, its unfortunate that there are those who dont. I guess you get that other places though. Its just TNT seemed to have hired most of them.

(...ok, did I cover my butt enough there?) ::)

my Galatea also received some knocking around from the courier - but dibartoli sent an authorised repair person around in the next couple of days at their own expense and fixed the minor problem (leaking steamwand) with a minimum of fuss

Fantastic after sales service and my machine is now as good as gold!

Pat

Hi all

Renzo from DiBartoli popped in tonight and picked up Galatea. The ding is right at the front corner where there should be just a smooth luscious italian curve of stainless. It was one of the reasons why I bought her :-) I would never be able to live with an imperfection. The box was also wet and there was a little bit of water inside. Renzo thinks I might have a machine by Saturday :-)

Mike

Welcome to the Galatea club speleomike
    Just dream about those god shots and the time will fly by

When I got my Galatea from Barazi Jack pulled the casing off for me to look into the insides
    It is only 6 or 8 screws and the whole thing comes off in one piece (thats 2 sides and back)

Sorry to hear about another transport related problem no wonder Insurance costs so much

My new Macap was delivered in perfect condition by TNT so some drivers are good and most are bad by the looks of recent comments

KK

Even a skid is no guarantee. I had an amplifier damaged on delivery and it was comprehensively packed in stiff foam inside a solid wooden box! I think they put a lift truck through the side of the package.
    Greg

Yeah sorry to hear about your Galtea, I use courier services all the time (computer repair business), and have had a number of run-ins with them, one of them even forged my signature! Iím certainly glad Iíve never used TNT. Another item I had sent from the states was misquoted in dimension by a factor of 10, so they tried to heavy me into paying $1800 extra in shipping costs (initially $200) 2 weeks after delivery! Apparently my (musical) keyboard was a record 15 meters in length..

Quote Originally Posted by koopa link=1213676809/0#15 date=1213721202
    Apparently my (musical) keyboard was a record 15 meters in length..
    :o How many octaves is that?

Hehe, for me and my extended redneck family of aspiring musicians. *begins exercise of mapping 70 octaves to small orchestra of virtual instruments -> has mental breakdown*

Mike, I saw your machine today. I was in Di Bartolis for a bit and your machine arrived. I personally checked it out and its all good. Shiny and scratchless!

Anyone see the ACA programme on TNT? Seems Coffeesnobs are not the only ones suffering.

Hi Ben

No didnt see it. I just went to ACA website and searched for TNT but no stories or info there. What did they say? Who was complaining? Tell us all the goss :-)

Mike

It was on tonight. Basically a couple of people complaining about priceless objects being trashed by TNT (either lost or damaged) and then getting the runaround. TNT saying either they could not find it or that it could not be proven that they had not received the items in damaged condition. They were sorry but nothing they could do. Sounds like the usual story. Try the ACA site tmr.

B

As a contractor for Australia Post I have to tell you that there is always two sides to a story.
    I take a lot of care with my parcels except when they are not wrapped properly and fall out.
    It staggers me sometimes the weight people put into a parcel and dont wrap it correctly
    Oz Post will only cover damage to a parcel if it has been packed properly.
    So next time you register/Insure a parcel make sure you pack it well or your claim will not be paid.

Also the sorters are low paid people who do not get looked after so why should they care.

The only way to do it is with a high end courier service rather that a large company

While I was in Perth last year I did some shift work for StarTrack Express unloading boxes from the interstate trucks and lugging them off the conveyor for loading onto the delivery trucks. First problem is the boxes are stacked to the roof of the truck and the only way to get them down (quickly and easily) is to push a pile of boxes over. If something on the top is plastered with Fragile stickers, you dont even see it until its on the truck floor. If thats not enough, some people who work these sorts of jobs arent the type most of us would want there; I saw one big guy throw his fist with all his strength at an enormous Sony Bravia wide screen plasma TV; didnt damage the box but it almost made me feel sick (being an Electronics person) thinking of all the work that went into getting it all made, calibrated and packed, only for some twit to abuse it for kicks >:( I just couldnt believe the lack of care or interest in doing the best for the product and company.

Having done that, when they get to the other end theyre on a conveyor which moves at walking pace; not fast, but you have to watch for packages for your group of suburbs, pull them off the belt, stick them in the right location on the dock for the driver to load, and get back to the conveyor for the next package. When you have 20 boxes that all come down one after the other, the only thing you can do is pull them all off as fast as you can into a pile on the floor and sort them later. The heavier things are the worst because youre working fast and trying to quickly shift a 15kg coffee machine or whatever, hard to do gently. You have eyes only for postcodes, store names and suburb names, and things like Fragile stickers sometimes arent even seen.

Im sure StarTrack werent unique in this regard so I dont want to bag them particularly. But the moral of the story is, make sure anything big you send is packed well enough to withstand being thrown across the room, because its not out of the question it may happen.

Greg