Thread: New Galatea from DiBartoli

New Galatea from DiBartoli

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

First a big thanks to Renzo from Di Bartoli. He called in tonight at 7.30 and delivered my new Bezzera Domus Galatea, helped me unpack it and set it up on the bench. The previous one had been damaged by TNT in transit. When I informed Renzo that it was damaged last Monday he drove out from Bondi Junction, about an hour drive in traffic, and picked up the machine. Today he did the same and delivered a new machine. This is just suberb service from Renzo at Di Bartoli. A big thanks to this company.

First how did I pick this one to buy? Well I had a short shopping list from reading this site and reading reviews on the internet: Pimped Giotto, Expobar Minore II, Isomac Mondiale, Domus Galatea, Domobar Super Leva, and a Makin Espresso Machine. All E61, HX machines and about the same ballpark in price. But I had gone as far as I could without actually playing with them. So last Friday I had arranged with Renzo to call into Di Bartoli and have a play with some of these machines.

Renzo had 6 machines lined up for me to test (all except a Makin). Some were single boiler, some dual boiler machines. He had a Mazzer Mini grinder and some Brazilian Ipanema beans. The idea is that we would use the same grinder and even the same basket and go through each machine. Renzo did the grinding and tamping as he is more consistent in technique than I am and this is quite important when comparing machines.

First he got me to play with the steam and water knobs on the machines and then do some steaming of milk. One machine had fiddly plastic bits on the wands, another had a very low height for the steam wand. Small things but noticable when you use the machines. Each of these got a small minus. Renzo was guiding me to discover the differences in the machines. Then I looked at all the drip trays, pull them in and out - oh one machine has a tinsy tray even smaller than my Silvia; score -1. Renzo then got me to put the PF in/out on each machine a few times. Gee the differences were adding up. One machine was quite wobbly as it had smallish rubber feet set too far in from the front and sides. Then I looked at filling the tank. For one machine I had to reach over it to get to the low tank, a small inconvenience but one that I would have to do a lot of times. Score -1 again.

Then we pulled some shots on each machine. I was quite amazed - they tasted different. I did the taste rotation again. Two machines came out consistently on top for my palate, the Domobar and the Galatea. Someone else might however pick a different machine. And neither of these machines had scored a negative point. Now it was coming down to size and looks. I had already eliminated one other machine as the panel fit wasnt to the level I expected. It was still well built but aimed more for those that wish to tweak pressure and temperature regularly and experiment. What was the best looking Italian? :-) Well the Galatea had a bit more flair with out being too retro and the Domobar was very deep. My bench depth was just a few cm deeper than the Domobar. The Galatea would fit better and my eye kept going back to her.

Sold :-) Renzo had spent from 10.30 am till 1.00 pm carefully assisting me to discover each nuance of the machines. That assistance was much appreciated as it is a difficult choice to make. Thanks.

And now to the Machine. I have just come from using a PIDd Silvia and havent used E61s before except at Di Bartoli. Tonight my first pull was of my own roasted Indian Mysore Nuggets as I just wanted to practice, Id keep my Cuban Altura for tomorrow when Im more practiced. I intended to ditch the first few practice ones and to season the machine. But I tasted it anyhow - wow. Its smoother and sweater than what my Silvia produces. I tried another and I can pull consistent shots. The pour looks beautiful. I am immensly pleased. Tomorrow I have several beans to try :-)

Thanks to Renzo at Di Bartoli for his assistance in guiding me to a decision and for delivering my machine.

Regards
    Mike

Re: New Galatea from DiBartoli

Congratulations...sounds like great service and a great choice. Might be dropping in there soon myself. ;)

Well done Mike
    Again welcome to the Galatea club
    If you need pointers to tame the 4 hole steam tip just send me a PM

KK
    P.S I love my Galatea

Gotta love Bezzera machines, they produce the goods alright (Im not biased ;)).... so do Renzo and Ofra 8-). Great service guys and one really happy CSer [smiley=laugh.gif],

Sweet,
    Mal.

Site Sponsor

Thanks Mal for the great feedback and for you, Mike, for sharing your experience in Di Bartoli with other CSs.

I have to admit, as Im myself overseas for a while, I was pleased to discover we have managed to answer CSs expectations and deliver good service even without me being around! ;)

We welcome every CS whos in a similar position to Mikes before his Galatea, to spend the time with us, realizing yourself the right machine for you and taking advantage of our one-on-one customized training.

Thanks Renzo for making another CS happy.. :)

Ofra / Israel

I too am very happy with my Galatea from Renzo and Ofra and cant speak highly enough about their dedication and level of customer service - and welcome to the club Mike: home coffee has never tasted better

We need a new term to coin for home baristi with such magnificent equipment - I propose Barista Domus (home barista) in deference to the machine!

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1213970066/0#5 date=1214470171
    I too am very happy with my Galatea from Renzo and Ofra and cant speak highly enough about their dedication and level of customer service - and welcome to the club Mike: home coffee has never tasted better

We need a new term to coin for home baristi with such magnificent equipment - I propose Barista Domus (home barista) in deference to the machine!

Pat

Im all for that Pat :D

KK

Hi all

I like Barista Domus. It can be taken two ways; home Barista or a domesticated Barista :-)

Im having a great time with the Galatea. Oh I have attached a picture of my version of the Galatea of the Spheres, after http://www.theartistsalvadordali.com/galatea-spheres.htm :-)

Mike

Cool man
    I can see a new Avitar for speleomike

Viva Barista Domus

KK

Hi all

Im wondering if anyone has a thermocouple that they can place up the spout of a PF and measure the temp of the water from a Galatea. No basket in place, so the water falls directly on the TC and run the brew water for a minute so it gets to max temperature.
    The reason why is that mine gets to about 87C and I was expecting it should be closer to 92.

My grind and tamp ar such that I get flow after about 7 seconds from a double basket. The flow is thick and viscous for only a few seconds then blonding occurs earlier than I think it should. This occurs for any type of beans. The total flow is still about 25mL/25sec.

Why Im looking at the temperature is that this link has some aspects that are similar to my problem.
    " I always seem to get early blonding, ... The shots also seem to taste a bit thin and sour." http://www.home-barista.com/forums/i-have-got-those-spouted-portafilter-blues-t5147.html

Mike

Hi all again

A question on operation of the lever and pre-infusion.....
    The instructions just say to raise the lever. However I notice that when raising the lever at the first click stop (45 degrees) there is no water coming out of the screen but it stops with a definate click. Its just a fraction push more and the water starts to flow. So pre-infusion does not yet occur if the lever is in this first click position.

Does anything happen inside the group head when the lever is in this first click position or is the click just there so that one knows that beyond this position water will start to flow?

Hence pre-infusion time I gather is controlled by how long one holds the lever up just after this first click position but before opening it fully.

My Sulewesi Torajah seemed thicker and nicer by holding the lever for a few seconds just beyond the first click. Still have to test more though. What do folks here do?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike link=1213970066/0#9 date=1215236517
    Im wondering if anyone has a thermocouple that they can place up the spout of a PF and measure the temp of the water from a Galatea. No basket in place, so the water falls directly on the TC and run the brew water for a minute so it gets to max temperature.
    The reason why is that mine gets to about 87C and I was expecting it should be closer to 92.
    Gday Mike,

Far better to sit the t/c bead on top of a normally prepared coffee puck so that the flow rate is as close to normal as possible. Higher or lower than typical flow rates will affect the Brew Water Temperature and its profile during the pour. Most t/couple cable is up to the rigour of being bent around the lip of the PF and Group a few times and the gasket is usually up to the job in providing a good seal around the cable.

At least this way, you will know exactly what profile the Brew Water Temp is following, not just the initial temp....

Cheers, :)
    Mal.

Hey Mike,
    Not sure about the Galatea, but with the Minore, the second posi with the lever seems to open up the 3 way but not actuate the pump. So water comes out the group head but no pressure. Its not really a pre-infusion IMO as that is controlled by the brain box. I have heard some use this as an extended pre-infusion though.
    What happens when you have a blind filter in and you backflush it, build up the pressure then put it into the 45deg position?

Hi Mike
    As you know the handle is a cam lever
    I have also wondered about that? a definite click at 45 deg

I am pretty certain; it does nothing at all except to give you a feel for "the designated start point" for the switch activation point
    (down is rest, 45 deg is ready,up is on)

I have had similar results with blonding early and have overcome them somewhat with a finer grind and stronger tamp
    I make sure that I donít force the puck into the filter screen causing it to break and or make a weak spot

I have chosen to purchase a convex tamper to mould the puck shape to the shower screen and hope it will help

Below is a link to the schematic drawing for the Galatea the handle is on page 15
    The parts list below is for the handle of whatís inside the head

http://barazi.com.au/diagrams/GALATEA_DOMUS_GB.pdf

50 CAM FLANGE 7479967 -
    51 WASHER EP709 15,5X7,5X4 7479968 -
    52 BUSHING 7479969 -
    53 SPRING 7479970

KK

GGG

Hello Mike,
    I,m about to start looking to replace my old La Cimbali Domus and was wondering what you thought of the Giotto?

Hi GGG

I looked at a Giotto, this was a pimped one. It was quite nice, but it just got a few small points taken off when I tried one compared to the VBM and Galtatea. The drip tray was very small, there wasnt much space under the steam wand to fit a largist milk jug and the feet were a bit small so it wobbled a bit. However the feet are now bigger on the new model. I also just liked the styling more on the Galatea. I didnt like the small seam at the front of the Giottos metalwork, thats really picky though :-)

Its important to realise that different people put different weights on different features and what I think is good or not may not be as important to others. Really you should just go into the shop and try both models and see how you find it.

Best wishes,
    Mike