Thread: VBM D/Super Lever

VBM D/Super Lever

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with optimal steam pressure? .9-1.1? I know 1.1 is powerful; however does fine texture and microfoam binding always come with powerful steam?

Also steam tips... Are the standard 2 hole tips best. I wonder if the positioning of the holes changes steam performance? Mine are north-south; when the tip is tightened up. Does anyone have an east-west steam tip hole location? Results?

Cheers.

Scott.

Re: VBM D/Super Lever

I have a VBM Super but am still learning. Mine is set at a tad under 1.1. The 2 hole tip can face almost north / south OR east west depending on where I position the ball jointed wand so Im unsure of the Q on that point.

From my thus far limited experience and comparing to the few decent baristas that have allowed me to look over their shoulders my microfoaming is coming along nicely. The trick Ive found is the machine is so powerful the milk heats fast so youve got to concentrate and find your spot quickly - start with icy cold milk - thats helped me.

Someone with more experience will be able to give you more details... :-/

.9-1.1 will only affect your brew temperature as it translates to probably a 1-2 degree difference in your boiler temperature.

It will increase the amount of steam in your boiler. But, there wont be so much until it blows your milk out your jug. You control the amount of steam you need for the amount of milk youre steaming. So if you have more steam, you can easily compensate by releasing less.

The amount of steam you need to achieve microfoam depends on how much milk and the jug youre using. You should let out enough steam to create a strong vortex. The stronger the vortex the better the mixing and the smoother the microfoam. So its up to you to decide and control the steam output.

With regards to steaming hole angles, It doesnt really matter whether it is north south or east west. Try turning and facing left next time you steam. East west steam holes!! :D

It doesnt really matter much where the holes are positioned as you accommodate with the position of your jug.

Try blocking the rear hole with a toothpick. Slows things down a lot.

Gav

Hi,
    I have set pressure-stat at about .9 to get my temps down to about 92-93 before flush. I find the group head temp keeps quite stable requiring minimal flush for small temperature adjustments. So if I stick with .9 bar, then my only option is to try different jugs; positioning of the jugs, and maybe tips if I get too excited.

I am blaming milk at the moment due to the fact that my milk has been fantastic for 6 months, and went very pear shaped for about 2 weeks.

I find that having the wand nearly vertical, then holding the jug on a backwards angle gives a fantastic whirlpool effect; however doesnt bind very well at all, (milk splitting even when stretched for a cap) I believe it is just pushing the micro-foam around on top of the milk instead of pushing it down to bind together. I will now try some new milk and get back to you all!

Scott.