Thread: Steam Pressure - ECM Giotto

Steam Pressure - ECM Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello.

First post for new owner of a decent second hand ECM giotto and Rocky Grinder.

Do other owners of the Giotto think the steam pressure is a bit low ? My brothers Rancilio and my Fathers Nuova Oscar both seem to have more steam pressure, ? ?

has anyone heard of this, or can they shed some light on the subject ?

thanks in advance

Craig

TC

Re: Steam Pressure - ECM Giotto

Quote Originally Posted by acdc link=1215582576/0#0 date=1215582575
    Hello. *

Do other owners of the Giotto think the steam pressure is a bit low ? *My brothers Rancilio and my Fathers Nuova Oscar both seem to have more steam pressure, ? ?

thanks in advance

Craig
    Hi Craig and welcome to CS,

My take would be that the steam pressure is more refined. In a Giotto premium/Rocket Giotto, you have a far larger volume of steam as the boiler is 6x the size of a Silvia boiler. Initial impressions from the Silvia boiler would be a smaller volume of steam at perhaps 4-6 bar. The initial steam is wet and unusable. The Giotto runs at more like 1.1 bar with a far larger volume of dry, usable steam.

There is no better milk texture wand IMHO than that of the Giotto and it is far easier to get perfect microfoam with a Giotto than with a Silvia. It is however possible with each machine.

The Giotto can be tweaked: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1180142910. Site sponsors Talk Coffee and DiBartoli each have upgrade packs which endeavour to improve Giotto performance. The Giotto is nevertheless a brilliant machine straight out of the box and sells well for good reason. It is extremely popular with CSers. so you have chosen well.

Enjoy your new machine ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by acdc link=1215582576/0#0 date=1215582575
    Hello. *

Do other owners of the Giotto think the steam pressure is a bit low ? *My brothers Rancilio and my Fathers Nuova Oscar both seem to have more steam pressure, ? ?

thanks in advance

Craig
    Hi acdc
    Im the proud owner of a new Rocket Giotto pimped by Chris.
    IMHO I have been doing great steamed milk right out of the box. 8-) Despite my ignorance, have had no problem.
    I love my Giotto, you should just keep steaming ::)

Gday acdc,
    I had a Silvia before the Giotto (actually I still have though its now being used by the father in law). Initially I found the steam performance of the Giotto underwelming compared to the Silvia (there may still be an old post hanging around) but after it was tweaked by Chris from Talk coffee, its a shite load better than the Silvia. IMHO it should have been like that out of the box, but I thinks its a mod Chris developed off his own back.