Thread: Giotto - Stiff Lever

Giotto - Stiff Lever

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Of late, the girl has been getting a little stiff. I know the Canberra winter can do that, even at my age, but she is still a young thing and kept spotlessly clean and back flushed regularly. It got to the point where moving the lever was becoming a two action operation, not the smooth fluid single Im used to. No difference in resistance no matter how long shes been on or what number of shot Im up to for the day.

Refering to Chris post of the exploded parts diagram pages 1-3 on page three, I disassembled the complete lever only section. I did not venture into the top or the bottom valve section. It all came apart reasonably easy, but I couldnt really see where I could clean or lubricate to reduce the friction. With the lever body disassembled, the resistance was still there.

Anyway I put it all back together again, no spare parts ( :)good thing) left over and wouldnt you know, its working fine now. Anyone done this before / care to explain the ins and outs?

Cheers
    Boris.

Re: Giotto - Stiff Lever

Hi Boris
    Have never pulled mine apart but had an issue early on in the ownership of my Giotto.
    I was basically cleaning it to death, doing a clean and backflush once a week with the caffetto but because my consumption of coffee was not high, only 30 shots per week i had actually started to destroy the lubricant around the mechanism. The lever would get harder to operate to the point that it basically felt like metal on metal as i tried to pour a shot.

The unit went back to Chris at Talk Coffee who pulled it apart and re packed the area with food grade grease and all was well again. I now only clean and backflush once every 2 weeks and have been doing so for more than 12 months now and everything is working well.

I didnt realise that over cleaning would have a negative effect on the machines operation, but it does make logical sense when you consider that the cleaning is designed to remove the buildup of coffee oils so i guess too much will destroy the lubricants as well.

Mal

TC

Well done Boris ;)

The area that seems most to require lubrication is between the spindle and the supporting brass sleeve. I normally pull the entire assembly to bits, have a clean up and then lubricate with food grade lube and reassemble.

I find it needs to be done every so often with Giotto steam and hot water valves as well. Again, its a simple and quick job....

Hope all is otherwise well with the Giotto....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee link=1215932089/0#2 date=1215947659
    Well done Boris ;)

The area that seems most to require lubrication is between the spindle and the supporting brass sleeve. I normally pull the entire assembly to bits, have a clean up and then lubricate with food grade lube and reassemble.
    Ok the stiffness is back. Ive disassembled the lever section again, to reveal the lever cam at one end and the lever spindle ( where the lever handle attaches ) the other. Where the spindle passes through the fitting you can see a force fit seal, its kept in place by a sleeve and a spring when assembled. I cant see how any lubricant can get in there. *Should the spindle be stiff? I can only get it to rotate by holding the fitting with a shifter and slipping the lever handle back on the spindle.

Does the spindle come out of the fitting? If it does, how? Is it just pressed in?

Also whats the lubricant called, and where can I get some? Anyone, in the ACT???

regards
    Boris

TC

Hi Boris,

In this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210165793 , I replied with some Giotto parts diagrams. You will have to scrounge a little, but its in there!

Im sure Attilios crew will be able to assist with some food grade grease....

Give me a buzz if you need any more info...

regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,
    Ive saved the pictures to my HD and now have a hard copy in my treasure draw for future reference. Thanks for the chat, I got the cam shaft out and cleaned it gently. Ive got it sorted now, back to a feather light finger tip action.

I did notice two very small grooves in the shaft which at some point I imagine had an oring in them (or are they just part of the design). Well they were destroyed on removal. I used some thread tape on the nut that holds the brass sleeveand spring in place, hopefully it wont leak.

Just pulled shot, so far all good. Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards
    Boris