Thread: Heating element problem?

Heating element problem?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Ive got an Expobar Office Control and whenever I turn it on it trips the fuse on the main power. There are 2 wires attached to the bottom of the boiler which I assume would be for the heating element. Ive found that by unplugging the black wire the machine will turn on without tripping the fuse but obviously without the wire connected the machine wont heat up.

Ill probably try to fix the machine myself if I can as Ive emailed Expobar Austrlia a few times and have not had a reply in over 2 weeks. I was just wondering if this would definitely be a heating problem or there may be other factors involved which could cause the machine to trip the main fuse.

Any help would be much appreciated as the machine has not been working for nearly a monthC already. :(

Cheers,
    Tim

TC

Re: Heating element problem?

Quote Originally Posted by griffster link=1216311605/0#0 date=1216311604
    Hi,

Ive got an Expobar Office Control and whenever I turn it on it trips the fuse on the main power. *There are 2 wires attached to the bottom of the boiler which I assume would be for the heating element. * Ive found that by unplugging the black wire the machine will turn on without tripping the fuse but obviously without the wire connected the machine wont heat up.

Ill probably try to fix the machine myself if I can as Ive emailed Expobar Austrlia a few times and have not had a reply in over 2 weeks. *I was just wondering if this would definitely be a heating problem or there may be other factors involved which could cause the machine to trip the main fuse.

Any help would be much appreciated as the machine has not been working for nearly a monthC already. * :(

Cheers,
    Tim
    Stay tuned Tim- I have emailed Paul at Expobar for a response....

If it powers without the element in the circuit, Id be having a look at that first. Have you tested resistance with the power off and the unit unplugged? You should get around 44 ohm.

regards

Chris

TC

Hi Tim,

Here is Pauls response. Ill add the caveat that the machine MUST BE UNPLUGGED. As always, if in doubt, give it to a pro...:

Hi Chris,

Yes, it sounds like the element has developed a short circuit to earth. By using a good multimeter you can check the resistance of the element and also the resistance to earth through the element, which should be infinity ohmís.

P.S We are waiting for a Tim ( not sure if he is the same one ) to supply us with his correct phone number so we can call him. We have had some trouble with our emails over the last week or so, due to our new web site that is being developed.

Regards

Paul

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the assistance. I finally received an email from Expobar Australia early Friday morning and they also mentioned they were having problems with their email server.

Since theyve contacted me Im thinking of just getting to check the machine out in case there are any other problems with it. Thanks again for taking the time to contact them on my behalf!

Regards,
    Tim