Thread: ecm giotto premium - something went wrong

ecm giotto premium - something went wrong

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    As usual my giotto gets turned on in the morning and stays on all day until bedtime.
    Today, i had my morning coffee and had to go out for a couple of hours.
    When i got home, the garage door wouldnt open, hmmm strange, maybe power failure Nope, there was power.
    Went in through the front door, into the garage, (NOT paying any attention in the kitchen at this point) and found the safety switch for power had tripped.

hmmm odd i though, ah well, i need a coffee, but damn have to wait for it to reach temperature again. As i walked into the kitchen towards the coffee machine, i see water all over the bench and on the floor.......
    water reservoir completely empty, it was full, and only 1 coffee made

so wondering what the cause to this may have been, has never happened before, but now i am tempted to turn the machine off if i go out for a little while

TC

Re: ecm giotto premium - something went wrong

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA link=1216609295/0#0 date=1216609295
    As usual my giotto gets turned on in the morning and stays on all day until bedtime.
    Today, i had my morning coffee and had to go out for a couple of hours.
    When i got home, the garage door wouldnt open, hmmm strange, maybe power failure Nope, there was power.
    Went in through the front door, into the garage, (NOT paying any attention in the kitchen at this point) and found the safety switch for power had tripped.

hmmm odd i though, ah well, i need a coffee, but damn have to wait for it to reach temperature again. As i walked into the kitchen towards the coffee machine, i see water all over the bench and on the floor.......
    water reservoir completely empty, it was full, and only 1 coffee made

so wondering what the cause to this may have been, has never happened before, but now i am tempted to turn the machine off if i go out for a little while
    /\/

Does the fault still exist?

Maybe just a leak?

or....

1. Pressuretat fails leading to over pressure
    2. Breaker valve blows off- leading to water everywhere (walls too?)
    3. Machine continues filling until no more water and then overtemp cutout trips, taking your safety switch with it?

water seemed to be just on the benchtop and floor.
    i dare say it was option 3 except it didnt trip out, only took the safety switch.

i filled the water tank again, fired it up and is working as per normal now.
    I purposefully opened the hot water tap to empty out part of the boiler, just to check it stops when filling, rather then overfilling. This seems to work fine also.
    Will keep an eye on it though

As for pressure, it sits nicely at 1 bar

Make sure you keep a VERY close watch on this one. I have had an ECM Giotto premium for almost 4 years now, and have had my 3rd pressurestat failure this past weekend where the machine almost melted itself down. The pressurestat rarely fails all out...it will at times fail to cut out pressurizing the machine, and then work perfectly for another 20 times. From my experience, the pressurestat in the Giotto is incredibly failure prone. I am now upgrading mine to a CEMA pressurestat, with a Jaeger pressurestat kept in the cupboard as a plan B...
    The pressurestats that have failed after initial failure were a bit unknown to me as I had this serviced at a commercial espresso repair facility. I am now going to do my own servicing.
    Please watch your unit and do NOT leave it on unattended.

thanks for the reply.
    It hasnt happened again since that time, but now i do switch the machine off if not going to be home for sometime.