Thread: The New Giotto Premium Plus

Site Sponsor

The New Giotto Premium Plus

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Giotto Premium Plus by Rocket Espresso

ECA Just announced the launching of an even better Giotto!

Some of you may have seen the new Giotto in action on the ECA stand in Aroma Festival. Weve had the pleasure of testing the new machine on our shops bench, and it is a beauty! The question we kept on asking ourselves though, before pulling up the lever, was how could it have been even possible to improve further the Giotto Premium, renowned for its ideal combination of aesthetics and performance?

With people like Andrew Meo from Rocket Espresso changing their own personal world just to be able to develop and deliver that excellence to others, this seem to be possible! (as told by ECA, hed moved his family from NZ to Italy to achieve exactly that...)

Here are the most noticeable enhancements featured by the new Giotto premium Plus. A more detailed, technical review, were hoping to release next week: *

New steam and hot water handles

Redesigned steam & hot water handles, with a great feel and a unique, elegant center caps

Control panel

In addition to pump stop working with a low water level in the tank, the low water level would be indicated by the flashing of the power lamp in the front panel. Also, the half-moon pressure gauge was replaced with a larger, 68mm diameter gauge

Stronger and more robust ignition switch

Newly designed feet

The new feet are made out of steel and rubber. Wider than the existing feet (125ml), they ensure stability of the machine, and taller (30mm), they enhance its visual presence

Drain tray modifications

The drip tray now slides out to eliminate water slop when being emptied. It was also re-designed so its lines follow the contours of the machine, adding to its elegance

Commercial pressure stat

At last a domestic espresso machine that has a pressure stat with the accuracy of 0.035 degrees. Technology that in the past was reserved for commercial machines only

Enhanced temperature control

Introducing wider diameter (10mm) of both the inlet and outlet group pipes which increases water circulation and aids thermal retention within the group. There is also a restrictor fitted into the group inlet tube, which adds control and stability to the group water temperature

New cup frame surround

The new cup frame has a thickness of 5,5 mm and is now firmly secured in four fixing points

The unit will have a recommended retail price tag of $2,849.00 and will be available for sale from the 3rd week of August.

With any questions about the Giotto, new or "old", please pm, email or ring us.

Ofra & Renzo

Re: The New Giotto Premium Plus

8-) V.Nice - inside and out.

TC

Yes- nice and sets a new price benchmark on machines of this type: $2849

So with their temperature control & pressure stat mods, the first thing that came to mind was poor Chris having to go back to the drawing board on the pimping mod. Or is this now effectively pimped from the factory with no need for futher changes. I suspect the new asking price will make it that little harder for people to justify though :-S

Itd be pre-pimped - only fine tweaking now I reckon....? Im sure theres something that can be played with - there always is.

Idle curiosity ...

Does the added height mean that the drip tray is also deeper? Whats new about the steam wand and taps? They look the same from here. Has the espresso flow rate been changed?

Cheers,

Luca

TC

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1216967890/0#5 date=1217088592
    Idle curiosity ...

Does the added height mean that the drip tray is also deeper?
    No
    *Whats new about the steam wand and taps? *They look the same from here.
    As per the description, they are different. Look more closely *:P

Has the espresso flow rate been changed?
    Huh? Yes- given consistent dosing, it changes every time a grind change is made and often when you change coffee as well *;)

Quote Originally Posted by dsgfh link=1216967890/0#3 date=1217047790
    So with their temperature control & pressure stat mods, the first thing that came to mind was poor Chris having to go back to the drawing board on the pimping mod. Or is this now effectively pimped from the factory with no need for futher changes. I suspect the new asking price will make it that little harder for people to justify though :-S
    I think that the drawing board can be thrown away as the work has been done at the factory. That said, first thing Ill be doing is running my Giotto head to head. Id be surprised if the newie is consistently better 8-)

Great to see the internals at an even better quality though. Now big question- Would you buy one at $150 more than a VBM??

Chris

What are the dimensions of the New Giotto Premium Plus?

Maxwell

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell link=1216967890/0#8 date=1217117233
    What are the dimensions of the New Giotto Premium Plus?

Maxwell
    Hi Maxwell- add 10-15 mm height for the new legs- My guesstimate WxDxH 330 x 420 x 365

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1216967890/0#6 date=1217115120
    Great to see the internals at an even better quality though. Now big question- Would you buy one at $150 more than a VBM??

Chris
    VBM FTW! Never used a better domestic machine before. The Giotto could change things...but I doubt it, I was never a fan.

Still like the look - dont like the price.

I understand that some of the changes are indeed enhancements, though others mentioned are really modifications designed to improve either real or perceived deficiencies.

Is that some sort of a ball on the end of the lever? If so, I think they went backwards on that mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1216967890/0#9 date=1217124649
    VBM FTW! Never used a better domestic machine before.
    Dont let Dave hear you saying that :P

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1216967890/0#10 date=1217125586
    Still like the look - dont like the price.

I understand that some of the changes are indeed enhancements, though others mentioned are really modifications designed to improve either real or perceived deficiencies.

Is that some sort of a ball on the end of the lever? *If so, I think they went backwards on that mod.
    No Dennis, no change in the profile of the handle on the lever. Its just a crappy photo with the end of the handle facing us ;)

Id be keen to know if the new feet can be retrofitted (or if there is an equivalent aftermarket part). The feet on the old Giotto are rubber and have a tad too much flexibility.

Site Sponsor

We invite you all to be the judges!

Tomorrow, Saturday 16th, 10am-4pm, well be having the "new" and the "old" size by side on our shops bench.

We invite you to come along, taste the shots Renzo & I would pull, and get a hands-on yourself! Maybe that exercise would shed a bit of light on the discussion above...

Wed love to hear your opinion about the improved model, excellent opportunity to share your first-hand experience with other snobs!

Check more details: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932885