Thread: Plumbed in vs Tank Domobar

srm

Plumbed in vs Tank Domobar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    We are considering upgrading to a new Domobar Super. *Is there any merits to plumbed in vs tanked models? *Also, we are moving shortly so is it simple to connect the water line yourself or is there a temporary alternative to allow you to use your machine without plumbing it in?
    Thanks
    8-)

Re: Plumbed in vs Tank Domobar

Im pretty sure plumbed in models use a rotary pump (as opposide to vibratory) and are thus much quieter. Furthermore, rotary pumps require mains pressure so there isnt much of an alternative, short of running the hose to a to a tap outside or something instead of a neat professional plumb-in job.

ev

srm, if youre able to buy a plumbed Domobar Super, go for it. When I bought mine (over 3 1/2 years ago) you couldnt get the plumb-in version in Australia so I had mine converted by a "reputable" company. They did a really dodgy job so I had to re-do it myself. Its been fantastic ever since & I definitely couldnt go back to a tank. I dont see a temporary solution for you though. Youll really need a dedicated tap with inline filter.

Evan.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1216981330/0#1 date=1216989767
    Im pretty sure plumbed in models use a rotary pump (as opposide to vibratory) and are thus much quieter. Furthermore, rotary pumps require mains pressure so there isnt much of an alternative, short of running the hose to a to a tap outside or something instead of a neat professional plumb-in job.
    Not so Sammus....Current plumbed are vibe pump and on special order only. There are rotary pump PID Electronic Dual Boiler Domobar Super and Rotary pump HX Domobar Super lever in the pipeline for we Aussies...

Chris

ev

Chris, just out of curiosity, does the plumb-in model use a Fluid-O-Tech or Ulka pump?

Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1216981330/0#3 date=1216990548
    There are rotary pump PID Electronic Dual Boiler Domobar Super and *Rotary pump HX Domobar Super lever in the pipeline for we Aussies...

Chris
    Chris, was that one I remeber seeing at Aroma up the back there in the clear case so you could see the guts?

Dan/YeeZa

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1216981330/0#3 date=1216990548
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1216981330/0#1 date=1216989767
    Not so Sammus....Current plumbed are vibe pump and on special order only. There are rotary pump PID Electronic Dual Boiler Domobar Super and *Rotary pump HX Domobar Super lever in the pipeline for we Aussies...

Chris
    Dang. I so nearly had "Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong there" but (in my limited research) I hadnt seen a plumb in vibe before. Cheers for the info.

srm

Thanks for all the replies - what are the advantages of a rotary pump PID Electronic Dual Boiler Domobar Super or a Rotary pump HX Domobar Super lever over the current Domobar Super offering?
    Cheers
    :-/

I have a question about plumbed in setup. As I only have one tap in my kitchen, how am I going to install a rotary pump machine in my kitchen? Ive read some one actually connect the line into a very large water resivour underneath *the coffee machine. Just wondering is that an option for me? something like the picture.
    I ask that becos I want to purchase a dual boiler machine for my next upgrade. Im aftering La Spaziale S1 or Vibiemme Domobar Super dual boiler version for my next upgrade.

Tony

Have a chat to Chris (2mcm) sugilun. Im sure he has both the machines youre considering and would have an excellent knowledge of their workings.

Im pretty sure rotary pumps need mains pressure to work properly, otherwise Iimagine theyd install those beautiful quiet pumps in reservoir machines instead of vibes. Maybe if you had a pump in the big reservoir providing positive pressure into the rotary it might work.

Some rotary pumps (Procon is one) are happy to draw water from a reservoir..... however many others (like that fitted to my La Cimbali) must have mains pressure - or the pump will be destroyed.......

So it really depends on the pump installed in the machine..... but if in doubt..... plumb it in!

After all that is the way they really were intended to be used.

JavaB: How can I plumb it in if Ive only one tap in my kitchen? Or maybe a vibrate pump might be more suitable for me.

TOny

Tony,

Its amazing what plumbers can do...... when cash (usually a largish amount) is involved ::) ::) ;)

Basically a "plumbed in" machine should have its own dedicated water feed..... and on that line should be a pressure regulator *(350 Kpa - about 3.5 Bar).... and that will provide best operation.

Plumbing in (water and drain) is not easy or cheap..... but once done you will wonder how you survived without it! That is one reason why used commercial machines tend to be so cheap..... and why two or more groups are even cheaper! Not only are they big, require to be plumbed in.... but also require a dedicated power run.....

Basically serious machinery requires the owner to pay serious dollars after purchase as well as the purchase price :(

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Evan link=1216981330/0#4 date=1216992070
    Chris, just out of curiosity, does the plumb-in model use a Fluid-O-Tech or Ulka pump?

Evan.
    Hi Evan, sorry I missed this...

FWIW, I would not waste time/$$$ on plumb in on any vibe pump machine- regardless of whether its available or not...

The VBM will be available soon with rotary pump (procon). If youre going to plumb in, do it properly!

Chris

ev

No complaints here Chris. Mines been running fine for years as a plumb-in. I wouldnt have it any other way. For what its worth, the outlay for the initial dodgy conversion was minimal (basically the cost of the new vibe pump & adjustable mains pressure regulator).

Evan.

I never knew Ulka made rotaries? I thought they were only vibe pumps.

Tony, the picture you have is a photo of a flojet pump connected to a water bottle. The flojet pump lies between the water bottle and rotary pump, giving the rotary pump enough head pressure to work. If you have a Procon pump, this intermediate pump is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1216981330/0#14 date=1217479418
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan link=1216981330/0#4 date=1216992070

Evan.
    Hi Evan, sorry I missed this...

FWIW, I would not waste time/$$$ on plumb in on any vibe pump machine- regardless of whether its available or not...

The VBM will be available soon with rotary pump (procon). If youre going to plumb in, do it properly!

Chris

Hey Chris,

Not sure if this has already been asked, but Im assuming the Procon pump is external on the VBM?

DS

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1216981330/0#17 date=1218120628
    Hey Chris,

Not sure if this has already been asked, but Im assuming the Procon pump is external on the VBM?

DS
    Gday Dave- the pump is internal 8-)

Chris

Site Sponsor

David,

Most of the plum-in models at the high end this days are coming with a rotating pump. Like the VBM, Expobar Minore and Domus Galetea. Of course they are some exception like the Bezzera BZ99, which come with vibrating pump. The Isomac have a kit were can transform from a tank to a plum-in, this can be done by the importer.

Regards

Renzo

hey renzo,
    i didnt realise that the minoreII came with plumb in and rotary pump as an option. (?) if so, this is good news to me. cost difference to the non-plumb vibe model?

cheers

aaron

Site Sponsor

Hi roknee

The different is $ 363.00 dollars Minore plum- in with a rotary pump.

regards

Renzo

thanks renzo - this is definitely the first that ive heard of a plump in rotary version of the minoreII. this was a BIG issue for me as Ive had enough of vibe machines (way too loud). plumb in would be great but not essential thou.
    until now, the minore was always on my wish list. then i considered a used commercial as i wanted rotary. now the minores back on my list. just love the temp tweakability

aaron

Site Sponsor

Aaron,

Another machine to consider beside the VBM and the Expobar will be the Bezzera Domus. I just come back from Brisbane visiting Barazi and look like is very well build.

Regards

Renzo

thanks renzo.
    i think i need to open my mind to different possibilities.
    still - i dont know what comes close price wise to the minore if i want dual boiler....
    im popping n to see chris on fri so epiphany may ensue

TC

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1216981330/20#24 date=1218526240
    thanks renzo.
    i think i need to open my mind to different possibilities.
    still - i dont know what comes close price wise to the minore if i want dual boiler....
    im popping n to see chris on fri so epiphany may ensue
    Hi Aaron,

Sadly, the only rotary pump ephiphany under 3k is the Minore II....Next up would be the Vivaldi II....

See you friday ;)

Chris

FWIW Aaron,
    Ive got a mate whos had a rotary pump Minore (I) for quite a few years now and hasnt had any major probs. Im probably gonna make the switch somewhere down the track after seeing the results. He pumps it from a jerry can.

yeah, i think i would plumb in too - part of me wishes that i could occasionally drag it to a party or something, but then again, maybe its not worth the hassle - my friends can come over to ME!

aaron

Site Sponsor

Aaron,

Actually to make a plum-in portable is not that difficult. Go to Bunnings, buy a 20lt tank, a couple of fittings and not return water tap and you are in business. I will put the water tank next to the machine not to force the pump, so the machine will fill easier when it needed.

If you are looking for a machine under 3K, you could consider the Bezzera BZ35, is not a E61 but it has a volumetric dosage.

Best regards

Renzo

I think he has his heart set on the Minore. You know you want to Aaron, just ask for a pay rise at your Friday job haha. Say that you want more than DS.

a pay rise eh dan? hhmmm

i will pop in to chris at TC soon. renzo thanks - i havent got room for tanks and all that stuff. i want a clean set up.
    im pretty sure that i will go plumbed in, and i am almost 100% sure that im over vibe pumps (noise),

so i could go for a rotary HX with a pid, or a minoreII. or something like a Faema E98 S1 (but maybe thats a little too big). the new dual boiler VBM might be a tad too expensive, and if i was to go for that, then id be considering the la spaz, and if i was considering the la spaz, then id consider a 1-grp linea or synesso, and if i was considering a 1 grp linea or synesso then.......

i do wonder if the steam power on something like a VBM DS, or a galatea comes close to what im used to at work?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1216981330/20#30 date=1219131325

i do wonder if the steam power on something like a VBM DS, or a galatea comes close to what im used to at work?
    In a word- YES!

ah ok then. this is good news - i was under the impression that the prosumers wouldnt provide the same steam power as a commercial unit (for small no. of drinks).

thanks chris