Thread: Looking to replace/upgrade...

Looking to replace/upgrade...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks,

I am a long time lurker looking to replace/upgrade my equipment post burglary (making the most of a bad situation). Given the many and varied options available in machines, my research to date has been pointing me toward the e-61 group and heat exchanger based units with the DBM Super Lever and the Giotto Premium coming high on the list. I have seen a number of reviews of each but not a direct comparison - anyone able to point me in the right direction? Any other machines I should be considering in this region?

I was thinking to match one of these with the Macap M4D - top reviews suggest it as the ideal choice given quality and value of the unit. I am hoping to finalise selection of a machine and look to purchase fairly soon as a package.

Cheers,

Andrew.

TC

Re: Looking to replace/upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by Gmk2 link=1217734136/0#0 date=1217734136
    Hi folks,

I am a long time lurker looking to replace/upgrade my equipment post burglary (making the most of a bad situation). Given the many and varied options available in machines, my research to date has been pointing me toward the e-61 group and heat exchanger based units with the DBM Super Lever and the Giotto Premium coming high on the list. I have seen a number of reviews of each but not a direct comparison - anyone able to point me in the right direction? Any other machines I should be considering in this region?

I was thinking to match one of these with the Macap M4D - top reviews suggest it as the ideal choice given quality and value of the unit. I am hoping to finalise selection of a machine and look to purchase fairly soon as a package.

Cheers,

Andrew.
    Hi Andrew,

Firstly, great choice! This will be a terrific combo- whichever way you go.

We sell all of these and I know each machine intimately. I would be delighted to run you through the pros and cons as well as repair issues we have experienced. This should make your decision a little easier and set you up with the right machine for you.

FWIW, we have all items on special as well this month.

You are most welcome to drop me a line or call if you think a chat will help.

regards

Chris

Hi and welcome Gmk2
    Based on my understanding Both HX machines you have chosen are terrific performers
    However get in touch with Chris as he deals with both and other machines on a daily basis and ask the hard questions

On your choice of grinder Macap M4D
    I can comment as an owner and user of this grinder

One word "Fantastic"

As CS Members we get special offers and pricing

KK

I dont own one, but my experience of the using the M4D is that it clumps like crazy. Im not sure if thats the case with all doserless grinders, but maybe considering a doser could be an option also. I have used the M4 (dosered) and thats great with the dosing vanes breaking up the clumps. Actual grind quality of both (as youd imagine) is great.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1217734136/0#3 date=1217739551
    I dont own one, but my experience of the using the M4D is that it clumps like crazy. Im not sure if thats the case with all doserless grinders, but maybe considering a doser could be an option also. I have used the M4 (dosered) and thats great with the dosing vanes breaking up the clumps. Actual grind quality of both (as youd imagine) is great.
    Clumping can occur with high humidity and/or oily dark roast or stale beans. This will happen to some extent with all grinders- regardless of whether they are dosered/doserless There are about 20 CSer owners of the M4D and I am yet to see a single negative comment...

Hi

I just got a M4 doser one a few weeks ago. I also had a hard time tossing up on dosered vs doserless. I hated clumping and so once I had a short play with the doser one I decided I prefered the doser - not to dose but as a declmping unit which poured the coffee down nearly vertically into the PF. Am very happy with it.

What ever way you do doser or doserless the M4 range is excellent.

Mike

Likewise I too have just upgraded to a M4 dosered (and Bezzera Galatea) - very pleased with the performance of both! The much improved grind compared to my old grinder has made a huge difference already and its very easy to use - very much like the micrometric adjustment - just need fingertips on one hand to adjust and very small adjustments can be made. Some clumping but the doser does a good job breaking them up.

And whilst considering the HX options dont forget about the Domus Galatea - I see another couple of owners on this thread who will speak highly too! I compared to goth the Giotto and VBM and as far as build and finish goes - I couldnt go past the Galatea.... enjoy

;)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to do some more research on the merits of doser vs doserless and will look into the Galatea.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Site Sponsor

Andrew,

Our recommendation will always be to find a local supplier (preferably CS Sponsor) whod have your chosen candidates for machines and grinders operational. Most of our customers goes through a similar process of reading on the internet and researching, and when still cant make up their mind, dropping by our store to for an assessment session that would include demonstration and hands on experience. Normally, after pulling few shots with the Macap M4D and the Macap M4, you’d be able to draw an easier conclusion.

Check your local sponsor, Im sure theyll be happy to help and answer all your questions.

Renzo

I agree with Renzo
    Its like buying a car sit behind the wheel and give it a test drive

Its no different when buying an espresso machine

What part of the country do you live in Gmk2 ?

KK

Yep, I was expecting the next step after research to be getting some hands on time to see what its like to drive the different machines. I would like to have a reasonably solid list of candidates sorted in my mind before visiting a supplier as my work hours dont leave much time to visit shops. Im based in Melbourne so Talk Coffee look to be the local (and friendly!) folk I will probably get in touch with.

I think almost all the Macap grinders that CS members have came via Chris mine included
    You can’t go past - Good Service, Good Knowledge, and Good Price

I read in another post that he has an open day between 11am and 1pm on Saturday 09 August for the new VBM PID

Normaly Chris is available by appointment

KK

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Gmk2 link=1217734136/0#10 date=1217814150
    Yep, I was expecting the next step after research to be getting some hands on time to see what its like to drive the different machines. I would like to have a reasonably solid list of candidates sorted in my mind before visiting a supplier as my work hours dont leave much time to visit shops. Im based in Melbourne so Talk Coffee look to be the local (and friendly!) folk I will probably get in touch with.
    Fantastic Andrew! I look forward to meeting. I can assure that Im also house trained and dont bite! *;D

Chris